March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Licensed to kill, Little Creek, FallCreekFan, Karl Graebner, KDGJ, Argo44), 803 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,023
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by SKB
JR: That would depend upon your desires for the rifle. The .375 flanged magnum is a very capable rifle for plains game at a distance and many older hunters just cannot utilize the cartridge to its full potential with iron sights. I love iron sights and shoot them much more than most hunters but I struggle with them way more than I did 10 years ago. I'm afraid at some point I will have to be shooting mostly scoped rifles. This particular gun has been re-chambered moving more into shooter category than collector. I see no reason not to add optics to it if that is what the owner would like. It certainly will not hurt the value of the gun and may very well bring added enjoyment to the current owner. It may not be a wise endeavor financially but that is not my call.

All valid points, Steve. But you can bet you will have to take your cheek off the comb to see through a scope, which is not conducive to accurate or comfortable shooting. A modern scope on this old double rifle is going to look like whitewalls on a Rolls Royce. Jmo, but a double rifle with a scope on it is an oddity.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

A double rifle is an oddity......

Best,
Ted

1 member likes this: John Roberts
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

It becomes about more than looks at some point. Any rifle that wears irons and a scope is a compromise, physics being what it is.

Well you could just buy a scoped bolt gun and be done with it:

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...ann-hands-416-rigby.cfm?gun_id=101802329

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
1 member likes this: John Roberts
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

At this junction, it is really about completing the original package, if the rifle was made at factory and sighted in at factory with a scope.......them it deserves a proper period scope.
Whether it gets shot with iron sights or with the scope or never shot at all is really not the point of the exercise. IMHO.

3 members like this: Hammergun, John Roberts, Brittany Man
Sidelock
Sidelock

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My reprint of a 1900’s Holland and Holland catalogue seems to have gone into hiding, so here is the same illustration from Wal Winfer’s book.

Your rifle differs in having the locking catch recess on the rear base, but the principle is the same. You put the scope on by sliding it backwards on to the dovetails until it meets the stops, and then the swing over lever rolls the catch in to the groove on the base to stop it moving forward on recoil.

If you can find a suitable Voightlander Skopar sight and are having mounts machined to fit the bases, why not at the same time have a second set made in which you can mount a straight tube 1 to 5 or thereabouts good quality modern scope mounted as low as you can without fouling the top lever, doing away with the peep holes for the open sights.

That would minimise differences in cheek weld. If the rifle was ordered for a scope to be fitted, Holland’s stocker probably incorporated some degree of compromise in the comb height.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.