March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Marc Ret, SKB), 801 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

For those of you who have any interest or care of such things as French Sliding doubles, here is a Charlin for you to look at. This particular gun from what I can tell has not been used much. It still shows lots of case color and the wood shows very little use. It appears to be a Model A with one hare stamped on each barrel. At some point somebody took a saw to the stock but the gun fits me well with the recoil pad and extension. Most guns are not perfect. I have added a German leather sling that came from Germany on a new Merkel Over and Under back in the 60's. I don't know that a German sling fits a French gun but when I look at my ancestry, I am half German and about an 1/8th French so I guess it works for me. I have experience with R Series Darnes and know how there actions feel and I must say that after working this Charlin, the action does seem smoother to me but that is just my observation and I may be imagining things. I would not say that the design is better than a Darne considering I can not remove the sliding breech from the stock on a Charlin like I can on a Darne. I'm guessing this is a late 20's or earlier gun considering the short chambers but if anyone can add anything to it's approximate age and I am all ears. I am very satisfied with the overall gun. Enjoy the pictures.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

1 member likes this: Dave Weber
Sidelock
Sidelock

The elusive running bunny grade Charlin....

Well done. The fact you are comfortable with a sliding breech gun demonstrates a few things, you can walk and chew gum at the same time, and you were picked first or second for team sports as a youth. These are undeniable truths. ‘Kinda. My guess on age would be just before the Second World War.

You can get the breech off a Charlin, it simply takes tools, and a bit of knowledge to do it. Contrary to what some gun salesmen say, there should be two tiny little springs, with a ball bearing perched upon the top of the springs, between the breech and the bottom metal. They preload the action a bit, against the lever work.They are beyond easy to lose, so, be very careful if you decide to go “in”, so to speak. The good news is, there is usually no good reason to take a Charlin down that far. The bad news is, if someone has been in there before you, they will likely be gone. The gun will work without them.

Save that, and an occasional broken flat lever spring (easy to diagnose, the gun will make a clunk, clunk sound as you cycle the cocked action, an easy fix, and the gun keeps working in this condition, as well) they are bulletproof.The “smoother” thing is debatable, and if the gun is not cocked, there is really no difference in effort or smoothness between a Darne R model, or, a Charlin. Hyperbole is where you find it. The Darne V guns pop right open in either case, but, I do actually prefer an R. I own some of each, at the moment, but, no Charlin. The damn safety on a Charlin is sprung like a truck, and I struggled getting it off at the flush. The interrupter built into the action key makes the lever an effective safety, as well, but, that said, we get back to the preferences issue.

Congrats. Finding one that fits is most of the battle. If you ever have any trouble with it, don’t hesitate to run it by me before sending the gun off. I see you are in Minnesota, perhaps we will cross paths sometime.

Good luck, and good hunting.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice gun in great condition. I don't understand why someone would cut that stock. I hope it wasn't just to put the pad on. It kinda drives me nuts that most shooters think a recoil pad is a necessity.

1 member likes this: Imperdix
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Hammergun
Very nice gun in great condition. I don't understand why someone would cut that stock. I hope it wasn't just to put the pad on. It kinda drives me nuts that most shooters think a recoil pad is a necessity.

I don't think that "most shooters" think a recoil pad is a "necessity". I see a lot more guns without, than with.

Many vintage guns with recoil pads have had them added because someone else, before them, cut the wood to shorten the LOP. Adding a nice looking rubber pad is a way of restoring shootability to a gun someone ELSE has screwed with, without restocking.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My Dad thought everything should have a pad. A big, ugly, white line pad. I don’t know why.

That gun is a 12, short of 6 1/2 lbs. I can visualize somebody complaining about recoil easily enough, and thinking a pad would help. I’ve not noticed that pads help with recoil all that much, for sure not as much as wisely choosing the load used in the gun. But, as the OP noticed, the gun fits him, and I would bet the stock was not too much longer when it was new, and the cut was just to get a flat surface for the pad. None of them, are long stocked, compared to current production guns. It is a pre war French gun. Short is common.

That gun has not been used very hard. But, it isn’t a museum piece, either, and a day afield would sure be enjoyable with it.

Best,
Ted

1 member likes this: LeFusil
Sidelock
Sidelock

Beautiful gun. Thank you for sharing.
Where is the safety? Is it the lever on the side?

Caution: Hunting and fishing stories told here. Protective footgear may be required.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting gun and dialogue from the folks. Thanks for sharing it. Gil

[IMG]
Sidelock
Sidelock

I almost bought a Charlin 16 in France about 25 years ago. It was relatively plain but in great shape. I still have the card from the shop in Dijon where I saw it. And spent quite a bit of time talking guns with the owner. I was delighted he took the time, and he was delighted to chat with an American who speaks French. Having owned a couple Darnes, that would have given me the full sliding breech experience. I actually had money left in my "gun fund" after purchasing one in England before the wife and I spent the rest of our vacation in France. Had second thoughts and called the owner from the States, which really surprised him. The gun had been sold. Price was somewhere in the $800 range at the exchange rate back then, IIRC.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry,
That 16 Darne you used to own popped up on my radar a few weeks past. The current owner is very much in love with it, and reports no issues with it, at all. He has shot it a fair amount, more than enough to decide if it is a keeper. He says it is. But, he is a guy who owns about four of them.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That lever is the safety and it is stiffer if that is the right word compared to any Darnes I have handled.

1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.