March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (NZHunter, SKB), 296 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#610990 02/12/22 01:24 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I see that McKay Brown has been sold. Have always admired his lovely round actions. Had to smile, though, when he stated that he was “truly delighted” that his “sensibly priced” guns would continue to be made. The side-by-sides start at $78,000.

Regardless, thank you, sir, for your marvelous guns.

https://shootingsportsman.com/mckay-brown-changes-ownership/

Speude Bradeos
Sidelock
Sidelock

Per kilogram cost a best gun goes about 30 000 dollars while a Ferrari is only about 150.

I have seen the hand stitching of the leather interiors of high end cars, and please do not try to tell me that that type of craftsmanship is not on par with lock making or stocking. It is.

Back in the golden days of gunmaking, the early 1900s, a best gun cost a 1/4 of a naval officers annual salary. Today it costs about double. Something simply does not add up.

Let us hope the new owners will make round actions truly affordable.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

The cost of labor has risen greatly since the early 1900's.

How does your cost per kilo equation work out for a new Rolex?

78k for new round action, nobody is getting rich and compared to a new London gun it is a bargain. Overhead these days is brutal, I do not expect to see new Best guns coming down in price anytime soon.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

To multi-millionaires, none of the conspicuous consumption items like Ferraris, Rolexes, or London Best doubles prices are of real concern.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
1 member likes this: DAM16SXS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Shotgunlover
Per kilogram cost a best gun goes about 30 000 dollars while a Ferrari is only about 150.

I have seen the hand stitching of the leather interiors of high end cars, and please do not try to tell me that that type of craftsmanship is not on par with lock making or stocking. It is.

Back in the golden days of gunmaking, the early 1900s, a best gun cost a 1/4 of a naval officers annual salary. Today it costs about double. Something simply does not add up.

I don’t believe the standard of living that a turn of the last century laborer had is comparable to someone in the trade, today.

Remember the famous photo of the English stocker, working into his 90s, (his name escapes me at the moment) who was given a pair of briar pipes in thanks for his decades of labor? I ‘gotta believe a stock maker, working a shift in his 90s, is a guy who is financially cornered, and really doesn’t have a choice in the matter. He is blessed that he can, but, I’d bet he wouldn’t if he had an option.

Those guys aren’t there, anymore. They don’t have to be. That is built into the gun price. There are places where the same turn of the century business model could be utilized, today, think North Korea, China, India, or, anyplace else you wouldn’t want to live. They could make it happen.

But, you wouldn’t buy the gun.

Best,
Ted

1 member likes this: SKB
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am reminded of the YouTube channel about a car called, “Influenzo”.
The aspirational market is real, and robust.

You can have all kinds of upscale items, just not simultaneously.

If I lived in perpetual sunshine, I would definitely want to drive a 308 for fun. It’s like a go cart for adults.
But “Influenzo” makes it real. Aston Martin’s can be even worse!

A white Chevrolet Impala with tinted windows will have to do.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted by Shotgunlover

I don’t believe the standard of living that a turn of the last century laborer had is comparable to someone in the trade, today.

Remember the famous photo of the English stocker, working into his 90s, (his name escapes me at the moment) who was given a pair of briar pipes in thanks for his decades of labor? I ‘gotta believe a stock maker, working a shift in his 90s, is a guy who is financially cornered, and really doesn’t have a choice in the matter. He is blessed that he can, but, I’d bet he wouldn’t if he had an option.

Those guys aren’t there, anymore. They don’t have to be. That is built into the gun price. There are places where the same turn of the century business model could be utilized, today, think North Korea, China, India, or, anyplace else you wouldn’t want to live. They could make it happen.

But, you wouldn’t buy the gun.

Best,
Ted

Ebenezer Hands. Stocker for Wilkes. He did it that long because he could and that’s what people from his generation did. Retirement was considered a death sentence. Both of my grandfathers were the same way….one stopped farming in his late 60’s and then worked on a crew that built bridges.
The other was forced into retirement in his late 60’s when the plantation closed down and then went to work cleaning the schools. They didn’t have to keep working, they both were smart with their money….they did it because they wanted to. Old school mentalities. Such a foreign way of thinking in this day and age, hard to understand for us modern folk.
I doubt Ebenezer Hands took months off from work to go hunting and he definitely didn’t tell folks he wasn’t taking on anymore work. I know a few old school trained guys that still think the same way Ebenezer did.

Last edited by LeFusil; 02/13/22 02:09 PM.
1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

That’s him. Might just be me, but, the look on his face in the photo didn’t seem to be one of gratitude. More like disbelief.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
That’s him. Might just be me, but, the look on his face in the photo didn’t seem to be one of gratitude. More like disbelief.

Best,
Ted

The interpretation of his look to me is “quit bothering me, I’ve got work to do”. 😂

1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

I’ve known people like that. But, they weren’t in their 90s.

Best,
Ted

1 member likes this: LeFusil
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.