March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hammergun, welder, canvasback, Lloyd3, SKB, Owenjj3), 795 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#610669 02/06/22 12:39 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A friend has a fine Mauser in 7.65 Arg that has had the chamber bushed to convert it to fire 308 Win ammo. He wants to remove the bushing to fire the original round. How might this be safely done?

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill,

That depends, sorry to be vague, on how the insert was put in. Some are pressed,some are soldiered (soft or silver) and some use an adhesive such as Black Max. Also I beleive the 7.65 Argentine is a longer cartridge than the .308 as well as the bullet diameter of the 7.65 is .313 and the 308 is well .308 so you would want to slug the barrel to see if if has been replaced. Finally you don't know how the bushing was inserted, did they bore the chamber out to a cylinder or make the bushing the same dimension as the 7.65 round. In other words you might remove the bushing and create a larger problem.

If the bore is the correct size for the 7.65 round it might be easier to recut the 7.65 chamber but you will want to check the dimension of both cartridges.

Its not mine but personally, if it shoots well, I would live with it. If it is not grouping well and the gun was not rebarreled a thought might be to try a slightly larger diameter bullet to see if that improves groups.

Good luck...
WBLDon

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is the recvr front ring of the action notched for the bullet point for loading from stripper clips?
Is the rear recvr ring stamped '30' ?

If so,,
A possibility is that the rifle may have been one that was orig in 7.65 Argentine Mauser and then converted to 30-06 in the 1950's by FN
That is the type I described in the first 2 lines. These used the orig 7.65 Argentine cal (.313) bbl. & just a rechamber to 30-06.
An ample supply of surplus WW2 ammo so they'd be our friends post WW2.

Perhaps someone has since used a chamber insert on one of these 30-06 chambered Argentine rifles to (further) convert to 308/7.62 NATO caliber.
Lots of 7.62 Nato surplus ammo around in the 80's, 90's and early 2000's.

If you remove that insert, you'll have a 30-06cal rifle with the orig .313 Argentine bbl spec.,,not a 7.65 Argentine chambered bbl.

The Argentine Mausers in their orig 7.65 Argentine MAuser caliber converted to 7.62 NATO (as I understand it) were rebbl'd to the NATO 7.62.

The 7,62 NATO is slightly larger in dia at the bottom of the shoulder and upper body than the Argentine round and of course a couple M/M shorter.
On some 7.65 Argentine chambered rifles you can actually force a NATO round into the chamber and with some force close the bolt and fire the round.
The NATO round is jammed against the sidewalls of the Argy chamber, so it is defacto headspaced in that it sits firmly against the bolt face.
Firing the round will fire form the brass to a 7.65 Argentine case but with a very short neck on it becasue of the too short Nato brass compared to the Argentine round.

The .308 Nato bullet flys down the ,313 Argentine bore with no issue so pressure is low. Accuracy can be anything with a .308 bullet in a .313 goove dia bbl.
Sometimes very good, othertimes not so good.

The NATO round being slightly larger would have needed a chamber clean up rechambering recut operation if an insert was used to avoid the above,,the slightly larger in dia NATO rd from refusing to chamber in the Argentine chamber.

Just some thoughts before you go digging in there.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill, your friend should "slug" his barrel first, to see what he has. If it is, indeed, a bushed barrel he may be better off buying a surplus original chambered barrel from SARCO or a similar dealer. Having had some experience with chamber bushings, I agree with both WBL Don and Kutter that you can open a pretty expensive "can of worms", unless you know more about the bushing.
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The rifle in question is a 1909 Peruvian that is original in every respect except that it lacks a 1/4" of closing the bolt on a 7.65 round and chambers a 308 readily. The rifle's condition is excellent. My present theory is that a finish chamber reamer would cut the bushing out without harming the barrel internally or marring external finishes. Der Ami's point is well taken, but the value of the rifle depends on the barrel number matching the receiver number. My "solution" assumes the bushing is readily machinable..

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rebarrel it. BTDT.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I doubt the chamber is original dimensions but it could be. When fitting a new chamber sleeve it is far easier to turn a parallel insert and reamer the chamber the same than it is to fit it to the original taper of the chamber. Additionally without boring out the original chamber you will end up with a very thin sleeve. Just my opinion.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill,
I suggest you go back and read Kutter's discussion again, especially the part pointing out that the 308's shoulder diameter is larger than the 7.65's, so that part of a 308 chamber would have to be larger than an original 7.65 chamber. If it was arsenal re-barreled to 308, it is possible they numbered the barrel to the receiver and maybe re-worked the rear sight to match the trajectory of 308 ball ammo. It wouldn't cost much to slug the barrel to see if it is 308 or 312-313".
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

If there is an insert, that is not welded in,
Block the throat
Pour in Liquid Nitrogen
Remove the insert

Please wear safety shield, gloves and long sleeves

Sometimes you can use dry ice.

Good luck

Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 02/08/22 11:20 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I think Kutter is right about chamber diameter. To sleeve the entire chamber may be an option, but it doesn't sound very appealing. Dry ice and liquid nitrogen sound like fun. Thanks to all.

Bill Ferguson
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.