March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jtplumb, Bob Jurewicz, SKB), 331 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
“Every time she looked at him, you know his momma cried”.

1 member likes this: HomelessjOe
Sidelock
Sidelock

You better be online taking your classes, Ted.

Set an example for jr.

You don’t want him being a Teamster do you?

Sidelock
Sidelock

One for that shithole Mississippi marsh rat JR

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
Sometimes, they come back...

I sold this gun to a guy I consider a friend, although I have never met him in person. He used it a few years, along with several others, a V21 and an R15. He has moved across country, and for many reasons doesn’t need the spread of guns he had before. He kindly contacted me first, and offered me first right of refusal.

I didn’t refuse.

This gun was built around the time the Titanic sank. It is a short chamber 12, choked about IC and IM. The barrel walls measure .056 thick at a point 9” from the breech, they are monsters, the guys at the factory loved thick barrels. 27 3/4” in length. Being newly right handed, I was very happy to get it back. I’d guess it has about 3/8ths of an inch of cast, and it comes up as well as anything else I am playing with at the moment, in my fidgety gun mount that needs work. It is so cold at the moment, practicing my mount is about all I can do. Still thinking about a pad, but, that would ruin any cold weather use of the gun, as it would be too long with my wool coat on. Cold weather screams 12 gauge.

Money shot, for Argo:

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Best,
Ted

Salut Ted,

L'Halifax est apparu pour la première fois en 1914. Il y avait deux modèles : un n°5 et un n°6.
Ces deux armes étaient montées avec des bois en une seule partie (type 93). Plus tard, les crosses seront montées en deux parties sans séparative, comme le fusil sur la photo.

La sureté à poussoir sur ton fusil est un brevet Darne de 1921.
L'arme est passée au banc d'épreuve avant 1924.
Je daterais sa fabrication entre 1918 et 1923.

1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Bonjour, Fab! Merci pour l'information. Ce qui est intéressant à propos de ce Halifax, c'est que bon nombre des numéros de série sur le pistolet ne correspondent pas, comme s'il avait été construit à partir de pièces. La gâchette était presque impossible à utiliser, et je les ai grandement améliorées. Prenez un moment pour regarder mon autre post « J'adore quand ça arrive » pour voir les photos du pistolet d'essai Darne. Se porter bien. Sinceres salutations Ted

English:

Hello, Fab!
Thank you for the information. An interesting thing about this Halifax is many of the serial numbers on the gun do not match, as if it was built from parts. The trigger pull was almost impossible to use, and I have improved them, greatly.
Do take a moment to look at my other post “I love it when this happens” to see the photos of the Darne try gun.

Be well.
Best regards
Ted

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Argo,
This Halifax is clearly marked with 6.5 for the chambers, which, would tend to indicate construction prior to 1912 or so, based on what we guess about the use of that mark. The proof level, at single proof, would be my guess where Fab is taking his stab at the age, as the laws changed in 1924. See if you can clarify how he is drawing that conclusion on the date of the guns manufacture.

My French sucks. It comes back, a bit, when I use it, but I miss things in reading.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wee wee misoure.

Ted the tree hugging prOfessor....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by HomelessjOe
Wee wee misoure.

Ted the tree hugging prOfessor....

I’m taking these forestry courses on YouTube.

I hope by the time I graduate I can speak Hindi.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Salut Ted,

L'Halifax est apparu pour la première fois en 1914. Il y avait deux modèles : un n°5 et un n°6.
Ces deux armes étaient montées avec des bois en une seule partie (type 93). Plus tard, les crosses seront montées en deux parties sans séparative, comme le fusil sur la photo.

La sureté à poussoir sur ton fusil est un brevet Darne de 1921.
L'arme est passée au banc d'épreuve avant 1924.
Je daterais sa fabrication entre 1918 et 1923.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Ted here is a translation of FAB's comment:

"The Halifax appeared for the first time in 1914. There were two models, a Nr 5 and a Nr 6. These two guns were equipped with a one-piece stock (type 93). Later the stocks were mounted in two parts without separation like the gun in the photo.

(comment: Don't understand the "without separation" business but this might be a Darne characteristic implying the relative location of the fore-end and stock proper...donno)

The push safety on your rifle is a Darne 1921 patent
The gun was proofed before 1924.
I dated its fabrication between 1918 and 1923.

I can't explain the 6.5 chamber marking and the projected 1918-1923 manufacture date. We dated the changeover from cm to mm definitively to summer 1912 per the only dated gun parts made in Saint-Etienne that I know of Didier-Drevet barrels. I'm wondering if some old barrels were sitting around and after WWI were reused or reproofed?

Last edited by Argo44; 02/06/22 09:33 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gene,
I can get through most of Fabs French. I can usually write most of my own answer to him as well. What I’m trying to grasp is the discrepancies in the dating. I can’t grasp exactly where and why he gets the dates he uses, outside of the changes of proof house markings, and those were infrequent enough to be of limited use to dating the guns. They are also well documented. The knowledge of the start and stop usage of the 6.5 marking would be a huge tool for dating the damn guns, but, we can’t nail it down, exactly, which, is something I have chased on these guns for decades. I think we are going to find that the First World War disturbed and interrupted production in ways to confound accurate dating via the proof marks on the gun.

Newer Darne guns have a curved metal area between the two pieces of wood on the gun. This Halifax has a two piece stock, with the wood, front and back, meeting each other, with a thin decorative line cut into the wood where they meet. Guns older than this Halifax have a one piece stock. Fab refers to those one piece stock guns as a type 93, which, is a new one on me.Then, as now, getting a single piece of wood long enough and of high enough quality was more difficult.

Best,
Ted

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.