March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hugh Lomas, Der Ami, Marc Ret, SKB, 2 invisible), 257 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,999
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I still get calls and emails from folks, wanting to know more about their Darne guns. I think, I’m usually more help than harm, generally . This one showed up in my email, yesterday:

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

An actual Darne try gun. You might think this inquiry came from someone in Europe, but, it is living in Idaho. The couple who own it have a collection of guns, mostly lever rifles, I think, and knew it was something special, but, not exactly what it was. They know what it is, now. Of course, they wanted a value, and, I really don’t have an answer for them. The gun is a turn of the century R11, in 16 gauge, and I would speculate it is perhaps 85% condition, and while I have a pretty good idea what a regular R11 from that era might be worth, a try gun, from this maker, is out of my wheelhouse.

The factory, in St. Etienne, France, at the time I was there, did not have a try gun. I asked.

Things like this are why I have always said I’m still a student. Still learning.

Best,
Ted

3 members like this: K Crowley, boon hogganbeck, 16 Shooter
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow. I have always wondered how some of the rarest allied countries guns showed up here, I have to assume the Nazis robbed the guns and our soldiers liberated them 😀 from the Nazis.
What an awesome find!

2 members like this: mc, Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very interesting gun. I know not many 'liberated' guns found their way to the U.K., as British troops were banned from bringing any back. They did however make quite a bit of cash selling them to the Yanks. Luger pistols would always fetch a premium and sell for many times a Squaddies monthly wage. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by lagopus
Very interesting gun. I know not many 'liberated' guns found their way to the U.K., as British troops were banned from bringing any back. They did however make quite a bit of cash selling them to the Yanks. Luger pistols would always fetch a premium and sell for many times a Squaddies monthly wage. Lagopus.....

You sent these young men over seas to fight, gun in hand, and forbade them from coming back with a Luger, hopefully taken from a dead German soldier?

Good Lord.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe pre=WWII French shotguns had to be given-up to the Germans, in which case they were shipped back to Germany, or they were buried or concealed. A lot of them came out pitted. I have a legitimate war-trophy Saint-Etienne boxlock, however, which is still in pretty pristine condition...somehow. Heaven knows where it was looted from.
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=481696

And Ted, coming back from Vietnam you couldn't believe the candy-@$$ inspections we went through with the MP's seizing all sorts of stuff....they tried to take my Randall Knife Model 14 because I sharpened a bit of the top edge (no double-edged knives allowed). They confiscated a Montagnard cast iron spear..... crazy stuff but the military does that.

In Afghanistan about 2009 some general up at Bagram decided that if you wanted to send a breech loading, center-fire rifle back, it had to have ATF approval...this included 1866 Snider-infields, and 1871 Martini-Henry's. Of course most of those were Pashtun copies but ATF in Martinsburg WVa told me they couldn't tell the difference so just gave the approval (copies are not allowed in). ATF was pretty upset about the paperwork deluge...because anything earlier than 1898 is not a firearm in the USA. But that's what you get when an underemployed general decided to frick with the troops.

Last edited by Argo44; 02/06/22 12:10 AM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

In the past couple of years, Kirby Hoyt of Vintage Doubles had a Birmingham boxlock try gun listed. I don't recall the price, but it wasn't high enough to take my breath away or sear my eyeballs. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

SalutTed,

Au vu de ces seules photos, on peux dire que cette arme est postérieure à 1913. Une photo des plats des canons pourrait nous en dire plus.

https://www.gazette-drouot.com/en/lots/5152404?format=

[Linked Image from i.goopics.net]

Celui-ci s'est vendu 660€, plus 25% de frais en 2015

Last edited by fab500; 02/06/22 07:47 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

"This is my rifle, and this is my gun-one is for fighting, one is for fun" RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Re the source of pre-WWII European guns: While there was no shortage of doubles from Europe that made it to the States before WWII, most of them that were imported came from either Germany or Belgium. The French makers of that era simply didn't make much of an effort to penetrate the American gun market. So what would have been the source of all the pre-WWII French doubles we see in this country? My guess is that most of them likely did come back in some GI's duffelbag when they returned home from Europe. Likely quite a few pre-WWII German guns as well which weren't destroyed by our occupation troops. One way to tell a legitimate German pre-war import from a war trophy is that in many cases, German guns destined for the US market used English words, maybe the best example being "son" vs "sohn" on Sauers imported by Von Lengerke & Detmold/Abercrombie & Fitch.

As for pre-WWII French guns, certainly some could have been purchased in France after the war. In terms of condition, one of the nicer French doubles I've ever owned was a Verney-Carron from the 30's. Would have been nice to know how it made its way to the States. But in most cases, how they got here will remain a mystery.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Salut Fab,

Best,
Ted

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.