March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Ken Nelson, Jimmy W, canvasback, Marc Ret, Licensed to kill, John E), 296 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Jtplumb Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

I always have admired the Reeb and O.Geyger actions. The Lindner and Sauers as well. I think Delp or Delph was another that had a great shaped action that would compete. Never understood how doublegun lovers could not see how much these guns stand out against the British best guns. Yes I do appreciate W.Richards, Greener, those beautiful Scottish box locks and London side locks but they have nothing on those cats listed above. Nothing! I loved reading Mac’s work but he got it wrong when it came to these German guns.
Sorry about the rant but da*n its like saying Patsy Cline couldn’t sing! Guess I should be ok I have been buying some of these guns pretty cheap thanks to that foolishness.

Last edited by Jtplumb; 01/27/22 10:55 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey, the way the standing breech is filed is the trade mark of Reeb, so this one is for sure made by Reeb.
Marc.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Many thanks Marc and great to see you posting.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Jtplumb
I always have admired the Reeb and O.Geyger actions. The Lindner and Sauers as well. I think Delp or Delph was another that had a great shaped action that would compete. Never understood how doublegun lovers could not see how much these guns stand out against the British best guns......

....... I should be ok I have been buying some of these guns pretty cheap thanks to that foolishness.

And I'll let you in on another little secret: The Austro-Hungarian / Bohemian wares are gems too, along with some of the French. Most are >>in the white<< platforms sourced from the most talented mechanics of Liège. Many times a longarm with an odd, unknown name with Belgian marks passes as a lower rung price point offering / JABC, when in fact it is a gem.

British Best shoot a firecracker load and need to be tweaked or are recommended to have maintenance every year whilst a Bohemian Best can go a Century with a healthy digest of cartridges.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Back to Ernst Steigleder, he was the son of tube maker Karl Friedrich Steigleder. And Ernst on his walkabout passed thru the Sauer & Sohn concern before landing up @ Gustav Genschow.

Ernst Emil Steigleder acquired the H. Götz & Compagnie concern so there was some maker triangle relationship between H. Goetz, Sauer & Ernst Emil Steigleder / früher H. Götz. And I believe Franz Steigleder of Suhl was the sohn of Ernst Emil and he make a proper go @ weapons.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

I looked back & reviewed my notes on O. Geyger and Dr. Karsten Eden of Germany, now Chief Geologist of Alaska I think?, has penned a couple of O. Geyger artikles in DGS & Single Shot Journal, notes that O. Geyger, as well as Ludwig Schiwy of Berlin-Diana Klub Member, sourced the bulk of their wares from Merco & Bemesu. And I would hedge my bets w/ BeMeSu.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Again, Ernst Emil Steigleder is a favourite of mine & I would snatch up any of his examples if possible. ¿M-4 I assume you are reading this??????

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

1 member likes this: m-4
Sidelock
Sidelock

No, seems that Franz August Steigleder was the older brother of Ernst Emil.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I suggest the owner of this gun examine the breech face closely for markings, including inside the cutout for the doll's head. Sometimes the actual maker would place a mark in an inconspicuous location, but for sure not always. It might help.
Mike

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Does that gun (the OP) have 31" barrels?

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.