March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (eightbore, SKB), 684 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Owenjj3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Giles Marriott just posted a new batch of 8 bore doubles for sale. Many, as per custom in prior batches, with no prices, but they are responsive by email if you find something interesting. I bet this shop has sold 15 big bores in the past 1.5 years from my observation. To me it sounds like someone selling a collection many years in the making. Where else in the sporting gun vendor world can you go into one shop and browse 26 eight bores and 8 four bores? Maybe some of our UK members have visited this shop and can comment.

Gile Marriott

Owen
Sidelock
Sidelock

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

He has had those for a while.

He tried to unload some in Holt's last sale.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Good guys to do business with. I just bought a rifle from them this week. I have imported a number of guns for clients from them and have been impressed with the quality.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

As far as I was aware a guy in the trade who collected them sold Giles the whole lot when he became ill, some of it looked pretty nice, a friend came in the workshop with a purchase from there it was in very good order.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

SKB, how can we determine which of these guns are antiques and can be imported easily? His "antique" list includes only three guns and I'm sure some of the bigbores are pre 1898. Thanks.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Proof marks and serial numbers are the easy way to tell what is an antique. As some recent clients of Holt's have found out, having an antique shipped directly to you is not always easy nor cheap. One board member here, a client of mine that I import for out of the UK found out his gun was at customs ready to be cleared. The thing he was not expecting was customs required him to hire a broker to clear the antique due to the value of the gun. By the time you pay shipping, brokerage etc it really starts to add up.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am that guilty person SKB mentions but is too nice to call by name. Holt’s did suggest that I just import the gun as an antique. I wanted to just send it the normal way via SKB but the thought of getting it six month sooner made me decide to give it a try. Ten years or so I could buy a gun at Holts and have them mail it to my house for $55.00 so this is something I have done in the past. This should have been easy on both end as a 1870 made gun which is considered to not be a gun by BATF and an antique to boot. Where it got complex is having people at Customs and FedEx both give me wrong information and then refuse to accept their error.

Fedex had a total dollar figure, they require you to go through a broker, that included import insurance by the broker and a broker fee. Worse the included the cost of shipping(FedEx) which just put me over the limit by about $29.00. There was also an error of the fedex shipping bill which was a number 5 in a box which should have been a 1. That took two hours for them to decide that it was OK to release the item anyways. To get that done I had to speak with three customs people. I found a local import broker who only does a few of these self import packages for guns a year. I was able to show them quickly the gun was pre 1898, an antique and violated no laws to own or import. They were very easy to deal with but a totally unneeded expense.

If I do a second one this would be a cake walk on that end. It took a day of my time, but if done again would take just a few hours unless they screw up different things which will give me a fresh set of knots to untie. Final cost was about what SKB charges, perhaps a few dollars less. If I had not used a broker when none should have been required I would have saved a few hundred dollars. But I have had the gun for months and am still waiting for two other guns to be imported from the auction just before the one I bought the Westley. Time or money as they say.

Here were the bottom lines. FedEx should not have included shipping cost into their calculations. If not I could have easily picked it up from fedex or even had them deliver it to my home. The broker fees were not needed if FedEx had used the correct value. They will be quicker doing this again I’m sure. Customs only got involved because FedEx made a mistake on their Airbill/shipping form. Had the correct number been used Customs was never needed, after the item was declared an antique. Would I do it again. Maybe if I’m in a hurry to get a gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wonder if the clabrough has been cut down

Owenjj3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Barrel Browner, Thanks for the insight. OWD, I didn't match up and see if any sold at Holts or not, but that does make sense. Good luck to Giles selling them, it is an interesting collection to be sure.

Owen
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.