March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ken Nelson, SKB, skeettx, LRF, Lawrence Kotchek, Karl Graebner), 875 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#609989 01/24/22 11:37 AM
eeb Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Am I correct that a shell having a Hartin crimp is simply a 23/4” hull with 1/4” trimmed off and a thin card wad used on top of the shot column to close the reduced crimp? No change in loading components? Thanks

Last edited by eeb; 01/24/22 11:38 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Hardin crimp was to alleviate the problem of a hole in the center of the crimp, no matter what the cause. Yes it was a OS card to cover the hole. I never tried to trim a 1/4" off a shell then use my normal date to see what happens. When I trim a 1/4" I'm roll crimping. Why would you trim a 1/4" and fold crimp ? If it's for 2 1/2" shells with a fold crimp, then adjust your load stack height with a different plastic wad of fiber cards. Maybe your idea will work. Good luck and let us know.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was trying to make 2 1/2" shells for use in a beautiful WJ Jeffery, I never should have sold. Another story. Using a mec grabber reloading press without modifying the press presented a problem. What I came up with was cutting the hulls using a dremel bit in a drill press was the best method I found. Then I experimented and found the best solution was a 16 ga overshot card. This filled in the gap from the missing 1/4" of hull. This allowed me to load a 7/8 oz or 1 oz (depending on the wad) load without adjusting the reloader and get a nice crimp . Greg Moats called me and asked if he could write it up for Shooting Sportsman.

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
eeb Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the responses. Nitrahs answer seems to confirm my premise. I’ll see if it works on my PW

Sidelock
Sidelock

My press is a MEC 600 jr,and my short chambered guns are in 12, 16 and 20 gauges. For those I load 2-1/2" shells.
All of my shells are cut down from fired 2-3/4" factory ammo. At first I tried using a 1/4" spacer under the crimp
stations. They looked pretty good and there was no hole in the crimp; but given a short period of time and most of
the crimps started to open up because the new crimp shoulder had moved down below where the original crimp
memory had been. This caused some shells to be bloopers and others to allow the shot charges to be loose in the
shell box, quite frustrating. Then I learned of the "Hartin crimp". It was both simple and brilliant. I haven't had any
problems using this method to load short shells.

Jack Kuzepski

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nitrah's method is the easiest way to make short shells that I have ever found. I agree with Jack K.

Originally Posted by Jack K
Then I learned of the "Hartin crimp". It was both simple and brilliant.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jack, the brass crimp starter BP sells is great to give a uncrimped hull memory. Far, far better than MEC’s plastic crimp starter. Sharp edges on the brass tool really put the pleats in the hull.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Super-Crown-Crimper-Large-Bore-6-Point/productinfo/0740006/

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I turned a adjustable brass shell trimmer on my metal lathe. It hold one of those snap off exacto knife blades. When chucked in a small drill it will trim hulls to 2 1/2 " perfectly. Couple seconds each and everyone exactly the right length. They do not need skiving I found out to crimp nicely. I use a Tyvek UltraThin Overshot shotcard (Ballistics Products) and adjust my crimp to fold a nice crimp. Most loads are nearly closed in the center but some loads would leave about a hole just large enough for most of the shot to run out into your pocket or shell bag. With this setup I can load 300-350 shells an hour on my Spolar. The thin Tyvek layer works perfectly and does not add too much thickness to get good crimps.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

In trimming hulls for my 2" 12 gauges, I prefer using a Harbor Freight 2" chop saw and a plastic jig an Ebay seller made. The jig is clamped in the saw's vise. The jig has a groove in which sits the shell's head's rim. The drop of the saw precisely cuts the hull which is rotated by turning the head a few degrees as the blade drops partially through the hull. The hull is precisely trimmed in a few seconds. The Ebayer offered 2.5" jigs, too. Gil
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

2 members like this: 67galaxie, MattH
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe,
Thanks for the link to BPI, it looks like a nice upgrade to the plastic crimp starter.
Been quite a while since I ordered anything from them, looks like I'll be back i touch
with them.

Jack K

Last edited by Jack K; 01/25/22 11:21 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.