April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (canvasback, Joe Wood, Ian Forrester, 3 invisible), 235 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,442
Posts544,771
Members14,404
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DaveB Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hey guys, I just received a Charles Boswell box lock I had brought in. Gun was made in 1905.

I am going over the gun and everything is as advertised. The peculiar thing is the gun won’t close all the way with a Winchester AA HS hull. No problem with an RST (Cheddite) hull. Upon closer examination, the O.D. of the Winchester brass rim is .002” larger than the RST. The rim diameter is just large enough that it won’t fit into the rim cut in the chambers of the barrels to allow the gun to close. I filed down the rim on the Winchester .002” and then it fits properly to allow the gun to close. Does anyone know if it is an easy fix for a gunsmith to open up the I.D. of the chamber rim cut .002”, as to allow the use of Winchester hulls? Has anyone else run into this?

Last edited by DaveB; 01/21/22 11:52 PM.
Boxlock
Boxlock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Would you rather modify it than just use appropriate loads in it that will seat properly? I'd think over that decision very carefully if it were mine.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
3 members like this: John Roberts, Imperdix, Ted Schefelbein
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Are you handloading the AAs? Will RGL's fit? If you aren't a high volume shooter, rather than remove metal in the gun you can't put back, consider chucking an AA into a drill and make a few passes on a stone. In order to hold the shell, find a short dowel that will snugly fit the inside of the AA. Drill a center hole axially through the dowel and run a 1/4" bolt down the center with enough out of the drill end to be able to be chucked. You may have to tape or hose clamp the hull to prevent the dowel from spinning inside the hull. Or swap the AAs for Cheddies or RGLs if they fit. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a William Evans from 1901. Chambers still 2 1/2". Remingtons (Gun Clubs and STS) drop right in. So do Herters (Cheddite), Federal Top Guns, and Winchester Super Targets. I don't have any AA's on hand to try. But with a lot of options that work well in my gun which is the same vintage as yours, I think I'd try other hulls before modifying the chamber. I do get a very tight fit on once fired Fed Gold Medal hulls. That's the only "problem child" I could find.

Last edited by L. Brown; 01/22/22 09:12 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

It is an easy fix. It is not an uncommon problem in older guns. Winchester rim diameters have generally been larger than average since I first measured them in the 1970s. Opening up the rim diameter a few thou will be undetectable.

DaveB Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi guys, I appreciate all the advice. I am very leery to have the gun modified and just wanted to see other opinions. I am hand loading the AA’s for my other 2 1/2” guns by trimming them short and using a Hartin crimp. I am not a high volume shooter, so I was thinking about buying a small jewelry bench grinder and just turning the hull by hand to grind the rim down smaller to fit the gun. Eventually, if this ammo shortage let’s up, I will buy some Cheddite hulls and RST ammo (I am down to 250 rounds of RST) and just reload those.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Seems a shame to mess with something that`s been ok for almost 120 years !!!! Personally I`d be using approprate cartridges .

2 members like this: GLS, Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

My first thought; Is this a once fired AA hull you're using? If that's the case it may be fire-formed to the chambers & rims of the gun the hull was fired from.

I have a model-21 Winchester that I had a similar problem with. The once-fired AA hull was tight in the chamber & it wouldn't let the gun close. I then tried a new AA shell and it dropped right in & the gun closed without an issue. My conclusion was the once fired hull had expanded to the chambers of the gun it had been fired in previously.

Just a thought.

1 member likes this: FelixD
DaveB Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Some photos for those interested

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

2 members like this: Ted Schefelbein, GLS
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.