March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (bushveld, docbill, Dave Weber, cable, 2 invisible), 339 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,999
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A question for the cognoscenti here: if you do it yourself, how do you process your game animals? I have outsourced it in the past and have never been entirely happy with the results so... is there a general process that folks observe here? Unlike domesticated animals, game animals (deer, elk and antelope) inevitably have little or no fat in their muscle tissue so when making things like sausage or burgers, some form of fat must be added to keep things cohesive when grilled. I've read about adding lard, pork and/or beef fat (I even have an associate who adds olive oil) and there are probably other options I haven't even thought about yet. My solution to-date has been to add just enough ground chuck to achieve about a 94% lean primary grind. Hamburgers stick together nicely, have great flavor and any resulting meatloaf is perfection and comes out with no fat left in the pan. To that primary grind we then add ground pork and spices for breakfast and summer sausages. Italian sausage is made with the usual (fennel and other) spices and it's used for things like spaghettis and lasagna and whatever seems to compliment those traditional flavors.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Who else does this little dance? Not a bad way to spend a dark and snowy January day, btw.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 01/21/22 05:01 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

10-15 % brisket to venison for hamburger has always been my favorite.

Bill Johnson
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have my deer commercially processed now, and always ask for a 70/30% mix with pork fat for my ground. I have tried that mix with cured bacon and it is good as well, but more expensive...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Lloyd, I process a lot of venison.

I’ll give you some pretty specific instructions when I get back to camp.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm fairly lazy about it, but I'll add lamb when I do. Tastes 100x better than pork fat, in my opinion.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

Sidelock
Sidelock

We process our own & add 25% good quality ground chuck to our ground venison .

The patties we make form & hold together well & are great on the grill. What we don't put into patties is packaged in bulk for spaghetti sauce, meat loaf & etc. This keeps very well in the freezer

A long time a go we used very fatty pork sausage which is OK but does not keep as well & overall we prefer the ground chuck.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I used to add pork fat to my venison, but the taste of burgers made from it wasn't what I wanted in a hamburger. I switched to using beef fat trimmings to end up with about a 10% fat content in the uncooked meat, and am very happy with the result. It is actually best to trim away most visible venison fat from the meat prior to grinding, as venison fat just isn't that tasty. As you know, the muscle itself has very little internal marbling, but there are areas with large fat deposits, especially in well fed deer.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Years ago I had a source for the tails from fat tail sheep. I ground that into my lean game meat. Nice.

In recent years I have 10-20% pork fat ground in. And when I do smoked meat loaf I add a pound of ground pork to two pounds of ground venison. (And the secret ingredient? A couple of handfuls of crunched up Ruffles potato chips.)

Speude Bradeos
Sidelock
Sidelock

Half the time I do it myself, half the time I have Crippen's do it. Often it's too warm. I have the capability to chill and age a deer but an elk is too big. Sometimes I'll take two quarters to Crippen and do the rest myself. I use pork fat for sausage and beef fat for burger. I agree bacon works very well for "burger" burgers. They have big bags of bacon trim, shorts, and end pieces at King Soopers that are relatively cheap. It's the leftovers that aren't pretty enough for packaged bacon. Last year we ran out of ground and still had roasts in the freezer. We ground them with the bacon and liked it. In my opinion a deer needs more doctoring up than an elk.

I've always wondered how you guys in the South manage to cool your game. What do you do with a deer with it's in the 60's?

Last edited by RyanF; 01/21/22 09:20 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

90% Chilled meat, 10% chilled beef fat,
Grind twice
Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 01/21/22 09:27 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

I add the fat I want just before cooking.

Yesterday, it was 4 pats of butter to 1lb grind for taco meat.
Day prior was a heavy drizzle of evoo for chili.

I use pork butt for sausage products.
75/25 can be a little lean for a grilled sausage but is perfect for sliced sausages.

[Linked Image from ] This becomes a pastrami.
[Linked Image from ]
[Linked Image from ]

Sidelock
Sidelock

if you have had enough of English bangers, bratwurst and smokes then you need to look beyond. Try 15% pork shoulder, 35% sheep/lamb shoulder and 50% your lean venison. Then take a look at some of the middle eastern receipts on this link: http://lpoli.50webs.com/Sausage%20recipes.htm.

Last edited by Tamid; 01/21/22 10:14 PM.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think most, all?, of the elk burgers that I have eaten are a hundred percent elk. I dont't know, they hold together fine, but it's probably not the best idea to over cook them. A good tip I've picked up is to hand form the burgers donut style without the hole in the middle. I think it's the connective tissue that makes it contract when it cooks, so a regular flat raw burger looks like it balls up in the middle after it's cooked.

To me, elk's quite a bit different than venison, it knows how to turn plain old grass into some good eating, where deer taste better when they're eating farmed crops. The last big old elk I helped a buddy winch out of a drainage hung almost fourteen feet when the helper kid hooked its tied front legs to an overhead rail and pushed it in the shop. A good game processor can not be underestimated.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If I have a certain amount of sausage I'm making from either elk or venison, I don't add anything to the ground meat. I'll add beef fat at the time I process the ground meat into sausage. Mix in the seasonings and run it through the grinder again and then add the beef fat up to 30% depending on what I'm making. For burger, I'll usually mix it 85-90% game meat to 10-15% beef fat. I've also mixed, just before I cook a burger, some powdered dextrose or powdered milk into the burger meat...a tablespoon or so for a lb of burger. The dextrose really helps turn out a juicy burger and increases the bind as well.

I have a commercial sized grinder my dad picked up years ago that will make short work of a pile of deer or elk meat and grind for friends and add whatever they want into the venison or elk meat, they usually go with some beef fat.

If I shoot both a deer and elk, I usually make the majority of the deer into sausage and cut and grind the elk into burger, roasts and steaks. I can always circle back around, with the elk roasts and grind, either with or without the beef fat, if I choose to make some of that into some type of sausage or burger.

My wife doesn't eat pork, so over the years, with my sausage making, I've substituted beef fat for the pork butt, pork fat, etc and really, the end product IMO turns out as good or better then if I had used pork butt, fat, bacon or what have you!

Cameron Hughes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Is beef suet even available these days?
Powdered milk is a nice binder.

But I’m not going to grind $10.00/lb suet into venison burger.

All cervids are venison.
I do believe alfalfa fed wapiti (elk) are far superior in flavor and texture to whitetail.

So like a couple weeks ago, 48lbs went into 3/8 grind. Finer, and it turns to crumbles when cooked.
It’s ready for use in anything you might want. Limited handling makes for good cleanliness.

I package our ground venison into serving sized packages for ease of use. 1, 1.5, and 2lb packages.
Stack them end on in an Amazon box, Freeze them. Very freezer efficient.

Large muscles are weighed, labeled, and vac bagged in appropriate sizes.

I do not cross cut hind quarters. I disassemble them. Top round, bottom round, sirloin, etc. Each for it’s own purpose.
Occasionally, I’ll cross cut the hindshanks for osso bucco .
Lots of effort, limited appeal.

I cut the ribs with a sawzall and freeze them for smoking.
Cook them in steam until all the tallow runs out, then smoke them some more.
You get 4 racks off an animal.

Every body knows what to do with the prime cuts.

I get a very high yield off my animals.

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Excellent suggestions all, thank you! CZ is right, everyone knows what to do with the prime cuts. More to grind today and I now have some food for thought, eh?

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

We don't have Elk, we have Whitetail. I find it easier to grind Boston Butt with the Whitetail, instead of trying other things, also it makes a biger pile of meat from a small deer. I don't usually make burgers with deer, preferring beef. I use it for chili, soup, etc. I vacuum-pack it to avoid freezer burn.

RyanF- I live in Alabama and put the meat ( except the liver) in a clean trash plastic trash can (used only for meat) covered with salted water ( I know, "Horror Horror"). This helps take the blood out and is cool enough in the winter to keep the meat a few days if the water is changed every day. I have been married to the same woman over 55 years, partly because I took her clean looking, sweet, smelling meat, without a lot of blood. When it starts to smell or taste "gamey" the cause is usually blood. I know this is counter to accepted practice, but it works for us.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds similar to what I do CZ with how I cut up elk and deer.

I grew raising cattle and every year along with any deer or elk we shot, my dad would butcher and cut up 2 steers, with assistance from an uncle, my older brother and I. He had all the equipment to do the job and knew what he was doing. The cattle were all cut into appropriate cuts and labeled accordingly as were the deer and elk. He wasn't a butcher but had gone through a 6 month agriculture course, more than likely offered to returning WW 2 vets, for those who were entering into or continuing with ranching. Part of the course, according to him was the proper way to process hogs, cattle, sheep, etc. He certainly pounded it into my head, what each cut was and where I should make the proper cut for each piece. I don't necessarily follow his direction nowadays when cutting up a deer or elk, since he'd use the saw to crosscut the bone on the hindquarters of both beef or elk, which I don't do.

Although a sawzall would make the job much easier in removing ribs, I use a hand meat saw that he used for years..maybe not as quick and efficient, but it works. $10.00 bucks a lb for suet is a bit more than what I pay for it. The last I had a local butcher set aside for me a few months ago was $1.49/lb. Of course, it's a mix of suet and back fat, which is fine with me.

I found this article interesting.
https://www.rmef.org/elk-network/venison-or-elk/

Cameron Hughes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Cameron
$10.00 bucks a lb for suet is a bit more than what I pay for it. The last I had a local butcher set aside for me a few months ago was $1.49/lb. Of course, it's a mix of suet and back fat, which is fine with me.

I was also surprised to hear of beef suet selling for $10.00 a pound. Even in these days of Joe Biden inflated beef prices, it is still possible to find decent looking N.Y. Strip steaks for around that price when on sale. Prices under Trump were much lower, but getting away from those mean Tweets is worth the cost to some. Beef suet from local butchers is still quite available, and still very cheap. The fact that it mostly cooks down into a liquid fat makes suet very suitable to add to ground venison. Far cheaper and much better tasting than adding fatty pork, in my opinion.

I also find the taste of venison to be very dependent upon the diet of the deer, along with how they are killed and handled after the kill. I try to hunt areas that are within a mile or so of farms with good feed like corn, along with other agricultural crops, apple orchards, and goodies like White Oak acorns. Well fed deer are also naturally larger on average. After gutting, I always do a quick autopsy and slice open the stomach to see what they have been eating. My autopsy results have shown that all my deer have died from acute lead poisoning! Gut shooting a beef cow and chasing it around for an hour to finish it off is going to make for poor eating of adrenalin laced muscle. It is best to make a clean and very quick kill, not just for being humane and ethical, but to contribute to quality of the meat too. Proper cleaning, and aging if possible, also makes a big difference. Aging is often tough to do. Too warm, and the meat will spoil... too cold, and it will freeze solid. Meat processors have the luxury of aging meat at the correct temperature in large refrigeration units. Hanging neck down with the head removed or carotid arteries and jugular veins cut is better than hanging neck up and having blood pool in the steaks... unless you like venison that has a liver taste. Cameron's Dad and uncle obviously knew that there is knowledge and skill required to do a good butchering job.

One buddy told me about a guy who was doing deer processing very cheap. He later told me that when he shot a deer, he took it to this guy to cut up. He said he was allowed to stay and help. They carted the deer into his basement, and the "butcher" was extremely drunk, and still drinking while he did the job. Naturally, all that beer soon filled his bladder. He walked over to a floor drain, and proceeded to piss down the drain while handling his trouser trout with his bloody hands. Then, without washing his hands, he drunkenly went back to cutting up my buddy's deer. This story kinda explains why Winston Churchill said that the two things that should not be seen by the public are the making of laws, and the making of sausage.

I'd think beef suet at $10.00 a pound would give pause to the people who hang chunks of it in netting to feed the birds as a high calorie supplement during the cold winter months. But if Build Back Better inflation contributes to mass starvation in birds, we can always blame it on Climate Change!

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

We had a couple of large trees close to the house that he would hang the steers from. The neighbor had an old military 6X6 with a boom and a winch attached. We'd borrow that to hoist the steers up after gutting the animals and then proceed to skin them out and hang them neck down about 8-10 feet off the ground. At that height, they were safe from any critter that wandered in. My uncle would usually sit on the gut piles the first few days and more than once, he bagged a bear coming into the gut pile. I'd hear about it when boning out a front leg or something and left a little meat on the bone!

I was actually surprised when I paid $1.49 for the last suet I bought. The previous year when I bought it, it was .99 cents/lb. Don't know why it surprised me though, with the price of most everything going up. There was only one time I had a butcher cut up an animal for me. That was when I lived in AK and had a local butcher cut a muskox up for me. I'd have done it myself, but I really didn't have a good place to hang it and I didn't want it to freeze. It was a big old bull and before I took it to the butcher, I cut some backstraps off to BBQ up. When I stuck it with a fork to turn it, the fork bounced off! When I picked up the cut up animal, the butcher confirmed it was tougher than boot leather. He said he had to change the grinder plates out 3 times when he ground some of it into burger!

Your Winston Churchill quote Keith reminds me of my grandfather, who was of the same generation as Churchill. He toured through a plant where hotdogs were made, he never ate another hotdog after that.

Cameron Hughes
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Costco sells 88% lean ground beef at $3.99 per pound. Mixed two parts elk or deer (which properly cleaned is 100% lean) to 1 part ground beef yields a mixture which is 94 % lean and frankly....tastes darn great. It also does tend to extend your yield a bit. To tell the truth, the other options (including suet) sound pretty nasty.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 01/23/22 02:19 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I cannot get my head around my US cousins taking best free range venison and turning it into burger patties. That's for philistines, my wife always makes a wonderful venison meal and creates the sauce from the cooked meat, then again we do use knifes and forks to eat with. Sorry, could not resist it. Happy new year to all.

1 member likes this: BrentD, Prof
Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I carefully trim all the lean meat I can from the cuts I don't package. After grinding I freeze in 3lb balls and use them for jerky and sauces for spaghetti and chile. For the latter two I braise in butter to up the fat content a bit.

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

For making Shepard's pie or spaghettis or even meatloaf, the ground meat is very handy. For summer sausage or even breakfast sausage I wouldn't know another way to do it. The majority of the animal is still used as chops, steaks and roasts with only the lesser cuts being used as ground.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 01/31/22 10:00 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Depends on how big your family is for packaging.
1.5 lbs is an upper limit for just two people.
I made sloppy Joes a couple days ago, and I’ll be eating them all week from just a 1.5lb pkg.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

bavarianbrit
No- Philistines eat it raw with a raw egg and raw onions. At least they put salt and pepper on it. There is plenty other scraps ground, it goes into leberkase and knackwurst.
Mike

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This Philistine also trims the best cuts (backstraps, tenderloins, sirloins, etc.) to prepare them for the grill before freezing. Those trimmings are then identified as "stew meat" and are used accordingly. Our chilis can either be these trimmings or the ground stuff and are spectacular either way. Sloppy Joe's made with the ground venison are also divine (of course). Also, I actually have a hunting partner who makes elk sushi out of some of his best cuts. I haven't tried it yet but... I certainly would.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 01/31/22 01:22 PM.
Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I make a dozen containers of venison chile at a time and freeze. Quick meals that last months. Meat from arms and blades also goes into my grind. I make 5-6 plates of spaghetti at a time and freeze. I boil frozen hocks and necks and use the meat for soups and freeze many containers of those also. The only pure meat cuts I freeze whole are loins, sirloin tips, rounds, and rumps. Even a lot of this meat ends up in the freezer as I like to cut it up in bite size pieces, marinate overnight in various mixtures, then roast in large pans with similar size chunks, also breaded and oiled, of carrots, potatoes, parsnip, kohlrabi, squash, etc. And what I don't eat fresh out of the oven gets frozen also. Guess you can tell I don't like to spend a lot of time cooking!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Lloyd3
Costco sells 88% lean ground beef at $3.99 per pound. Mixed two parts elk or deer (which properly cleaned is 100% lean) to 1 part ground beef yields a mixture which is 94 % lean and frankly....tastes darn great. It also does tend to extend your yield a bit. To tell the truth, the other options (including suet) sound pretty nasty.

Lloyd, all I can say about using suet to add fat content to venison is, don't knock it until you've tried it. I felt the same way about it when I decided to try something that would hopefully make a better tasting burger than venison mixed with fatty pork. I kept thinking about my 5th grade teacher telling us that she hung out chunks of cheap suet in the winter to feed the birds, so I figured it must be basically garbage. But then I learned that it is a high quality fat that forms in the same tenderloin neighborhood as the very best cuts of beef, near and around the kidneys. Slaughterhouses and butchers don't waste it. They sell it and use it for kielbasa, sausage, etc., so you have most likely already eaten and enjoyed it. I tried it in my ground venison, and never regretted it. My kids liked it so much in venison burgers, tacos, chili, meatloaf, etc., that they would actually be disappointed if I didn't get a deer. Surprisingly, suet is even used in pie crusts and pastries.

https://www.seriouseats.com/the-nasty-bits-baking-with-suet

https://discover.grasslandbeef.com/blog/what-is-suet/

I agree that the Costco ground chuck is usually good stuff. I'd imagine that mixing it with elk or deer in the ratio you describe would be good. It might even make ground Canada goose meat somewhat edible.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

A tip for the chili makers on the board. I make large batches in my 16 quart pressure canner so there is a lot left over. I vacuum seal it in pint and quart bags and freeze it lying flat for easy storage. A pint bag is enough when we have "chili dogs" and a quart is enough when my wife and I want a chili supper. If there are guests, then two quarts. The trick is with the vacuum seal bags we can put them in water and boil them without thawing. This avoids missing out on something because you don't have time to thaw the meat.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

My uncle, who shot deer with an Enfield and raised cattle and hogs, made his own pork sausage and ground some of his venison. My aunt made a meatloaf from the two that was wonderful. I ate my portion with a fork.

Caution: Hunting and fishing stories told here. Protective footgear may be required.
Sidelock
Sidelock

half deer, half cow, egg, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, worchestershire sauce, makes great meat loaf...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Add some sage and I'm with you.

Caution: Hunting and fishing stories told here. Protective footgear may be required.
Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

With you on the large batches Der. But I prefer the 1lb dairy products containers as they stack up so neatly in my refrigerator top or chest freezer. No freezer burn as the liquids go to the top. I've used some of these containers twenty times, so less plastic to throw in my burn barrel. When cooking my frozen soups, chile, or spaghetti it is a summer treat to pop a few cherry tomatoes on top.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Hal,
A good idea also, everybody does whatever works best for them.
Mike

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.