March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jimmy W, Hugh Lomas, eightbore, SKB, 1 invisible), 676 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Good afternoon gents! When patterning for point of impact, do you cover your aiming dot with your bead so you don't see the mark, or hover the bead directly below so the mark on the paper/plate is visible? Probably a very obvious question, I apologize. I've been shooting 50/50 guns for 20 years, and got around to patterning a new shotgun I got (XF choke and large bead). I covered the mark on the paper and let fly. If correct, my new gun is more 80/20... decidedly trap country. Yet as my pattern was 26" and the mark was about 4", it suddenly makes a world of difference if one sees or does not see the mark! Thanks in advance for setting me straight!

NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

He do you shoot the bird bead below or bead covering up? POI needs to be the same.

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree 100%. Said another way, if you shoot at a bird going dead straight away do you cover it with the bead, or do you hold the bead just barely under it? Pattern the same way.

Personally, I hold the bead just barely under the target, so that I have an unobstructed view of it. I don't like covering, and obscuring, any of the target. Even with that, I like my guns to pattern about 60/40 high.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
1 member likes this: liverwort
Sidelock
Sidelock

Received wisdom is if you want to hit a flying object you should look at the bird “not the bead”

Seems to make sense when patterning to leave the bead at 6 o’clock to the aiming mark

Sidelock
Sidelock

Parabola, You check POI to verify your gun is shooting to the point you are aiming (looking) at. Best way to do that is to do it exactly the same as how you normally shoot. Same mount, same bead to target relationship. It also confirms your stock fit, to a large extent, but stock fitting is a lot more complex than just POI. POI can be fine tuned by stock fitting alteration but not fully. And POI verification on doubles also needs to check convergence which if off can be a much more difficult thing to correct. When hunting or target shooting I agree to focus on the bird, not the beads. Most people who focus on the beads will aim their shotgun like a rifle, with no follow through, which is never a good thing with a shotgun. I always checked POI at 16 yards because the patterns are still tight and well defined and the basic rule of thumb was every inch of correction required about 1/16" alteration of the stock. So a gun shooting four inches high at 16 yards would have face/comb adjusted down 4/16" (1/4") and then retested.

If you have ever been correctly fitted for stock fit, by a good stock fitter, you can have a basic set of numbers to start off from. Then measure your stock and see what difference there might be. If you know your stock is higher than your norm check POI to make sure it shoots high in fact. Not every gun will shoot the same even with the same stock fit. Weird I know. The other option is to alter your shooting style with that gun if you do not want to alter the stock. If you know your gun shoots high carry the target well above the bead. Sometimes a gun is too valuable to start hacking on the wood.

2 members like this: Stanton Hillis, Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks, that is very helpful

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.