Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Frustrating that they did not add father’s names to the inscription.

A 12 bore rifle or ball and shot gun would have been over the top for any quadruped found in the UK.

It would have been useful in South Africa, India, Ceylon, Malaya and perhaps Australia.

The number on the bottom rib is not the T532 found on the flats.

Last edited by Parabola; 01/22/23 02:16 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is the number. Tried to clean it up but this is the best I can do. Looks like possibly 68 or 89. I could ask RIA but don't want to waste their time. It is not in the place were a serial number should be (on the barrels).

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Argo44; 01/22/23 08:20 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Parabola, here is RIA on the rifling and proofs. They really are a class outfit.

Question
Sirs: Re the Reilly 12 bore rifle SN 32760: What is the address on the rib? What is the condition of the rifling and the type? Is it possible to see a photo of the barrel flats/proof marks. Also one of the top rib extension, Finally are there any extraneous initials on the gun. I'm wondering if "WWG" might be there someplace. Many thanks for your assistance. Mr. King certainly had a nice collection of Reilly's.

Responses: (Photos already posted)
Auction 1042- Lot 744: The barrel address reads :"E. M. REILLY & Co. 16. NEW OXFORD St. LONDON." The rifling has 7 grooves and is present the entire length of the barrel with some pitting in areas down the length. Overall the rifling appears to be quite good with a good amount of shine. I am unable to find this set of initials anywhere on the gun, this includes everywhere I can get without taking the gun down past forend, barrels, and action/stock Thanks! Melissa Stohl Customer Service Rep

Date: 10:21 AM January 24, 2023
Auction 1042- Lot 744: You are correct on the proofs given in the photographs. The barrels are both still fully rifled down the length. Thanks! Melissa Stohl Customer Service Rep

Last edited by Argo44; 01/24/23 02:27 PM.

1 member likes this: Parabola
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That is most interesting, Gene.

I wonder if the rifling was cleaned up using a cast lead lap, free to turn in the rifling as it lapped the lands and grooves.

As the enlargement from 11 bore (.750 +?) to 10 bore (19.7 mm = .775)indicates up to 25 thou enlargement I am pleasantly surprised that it still retains its rifling, and would have lost my bet.

The original Victorian proof would have been measured with a plug gauge, and would have been the bore diameter to the top of the lands.

I suppose that it is possible that the 19.7mm may have been measured with a micrometer, and taken from the groove diameter. If so my calculations as to the enlargement of the bore may be over-stated.

The rifling being full length suggests that it was built as a dedicated purpose rifle, rather than being intended to be used like a Paradox with shot as well as bullet.

Last edited by Parabola; 01/24/23 06:23 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gene,

As you said Rock Island Auctions are very helpful. They have confirmed to me that the number under the rear bottom rib is 9936.

That suggests to me that someone else made it for Reilly, or at least suppled the barrelled action, but does not give any obvious clue as to who that was.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Certainly the barrels. Can't say much more than this. E.M. was dead. Both workshops were still open but serial numbered guns decline rapidly. Boxlocks like everyone else likely were made in the white in Birmingham. I've speculated the Reilly company continued to make sidelocks but at this point who knows.

Here are a few Reilly sidelocks made in the 1890's:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

1 member likes this: Parabola
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I decided to part with the E.M. Reilly gun number 30227 featured in my original post, having had a lot of fun tracking down what it was, as I am left handed and couldn’t hit anything with its pronounced right hand cast off.

It is now languishing as Lot 6788 in Holts unsold lots from the Sealed Bid sale.

If anyone in the UK (or the US but the shipping and export costs would be prohibitive) wants an interesting gun please pm me and I could tell Holts to let it go to a good home for a nominal amount.

It is sleeved, has good bores and works OK (as long as you are not left handed).

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.