March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (playing hooky, Ian Forrester, Jimmy W, LeFusil, Hugh Lomas, 1 invisible), 306 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,999
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#607864 12/14/21 08:10 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Putting this here because more single shots use peeps/irons than most others.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/14/..._bandit-all-surfaces_filter_new_arm_10_1

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Can't read it, they are trying to extort $$.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

New Eye Drops Offer an Alternative to Reading Glasses

Vuity, a once-a-day treatment that can help users see up close without affecting their long-range vision, went on the market Thursday after being approved by the F.D.A. in October.
Credit...iStock/Getty Images

By Melinda Wenner Moyer
Dec. 14, 2021, 12:35 p.m. ET

An eye drop that improves close-range vision could make misplaced reading glasses less of an inconvenience for many of the 128 million Americans who suffer from age-related deficits in near vision. Vuity, which became available by prescription on Thursday, is a once-a-day treatment that can help users see up close without affecting their long-range vision.

“For anybody who doesn’t want to fiddle with reading glasses, this might be a really helpful alternative,” said Dr. Scott M. MacRae, an ophthalmologist at the University of Rochester’s Center for Visual Science. Dr. MacRae was not involved in the clinical trials for the drug, which was approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in late October.

Nearly 90 percent of U.S. adults over 45 have problems with close-range vision, a condition known as presbyopia that typically worsens over time. To focus on close objects, the eye’s lens must change shape, yet it becomes less flexible as people age, making this process difficult. “Your ability to zoom in decreases,” Dr. MacRae said.

People who suffer from presbyopia often find they need to hold a book at arm’s length or turn on a bright light to read it, said Dr. George O. Waring IV, an ophthalmologist and the medical director of the Waring Vision Institute in Mt. Pleasant, S.C., who led Vuity’s clinical trials for the pharmaceutical company Allergan. Typically, eye doctors recommend that people with presbyopia wear over-the-counter or prescription reading glasses when they need to see up close, but Vuity may also be an option for them, he said.

Vuity improves near vision by constricting the size of the pupil. “It makes the pupil small, creating what we call a pinhole effect,” that way reducing the amount of peripheral light that passes through the eye that can make it hard to focus, said Dr. Stephen Orlin, an ophthalmologist at the University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine.
Sign up for the Well newsletter, for Times subscribers only. Essential news on health, fitness and nutrition, from Tara Parker-Pope. Get it in your inbox.

Vuity’s active ingredient is a drug called pilocarpine, and it is not a new medication. It’s actually “one of the oldest drops that we have in ophthalmology,” Dr. Orlin said. It has been used for decades to treat glaucoma, a condition characterized by damage to the optic nerve. Although Vuity is the first product of its kind to treat presbyopia, at least nine similar eye drop products are in clinical development to treat presbyopia and may be available in the future, Dr. Waring said.

Dr. Waring and his colleagues presented the results of their Phase 3 clinical trials, which have not yet been published in a peer-reviewed journal, at the 2021 annual meeting of the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery in July. A single Vuity drop in each eye improved trial subjects’ close-range vision for six hours and improved their intermediate vision — important for computer work — for 10 hours.

Vuity’s benefit over reading glasses is that it does not impair distance vision like reading glasses do. Usually, when a person stops reading to do something else, they need to remove their reading glasses to see around them properly. “That’s the good part about this — the drops don’t really affect distance vision under normal daylight conditions,” Dr. MacRae said.

Dr. MacRae also noted that Vuity will work best for people who have only mild to moderate presbyopia, which probably means people between the ages of 45 and 55. Older individuals with more serious presbyopia may find that the eye drops do not improve their near vision enough to make a difference.

Vuity does not correct regular nearsightedness, farsightedness or astigmatism — it improves only the age-related deficits in close-range vision. So people with other eye errors will want to continue wearing glasses or contact lenses even if they also use Vuity, Dr. MacRae noted.

And the drops are not meant to replace reading glasses entirely, Dr. Waring said. People with presbyopia will probably want to own reading glasses, too, but Vuity may reduce the amount of time they need to wear them.

“For some people, it’s going to work great,” Dr. MacRae said.

Vuity is not typically covered by health or vision insurance, and Dr. Waring said it might cost around $80 per 30-day supply.

Although the clinical trials did not report any serious side effects, 14.9 percent of subjects who took Vuity reported mild headaches, compared with 7 percent of subjects who took placebo drops. Up to 5 percent of subjects taking Vuity reported other side effects such as eye redness, blurred vision, eye pain, visual impairment, eye irritation and an increased production of tears.

Because the eye drops reduce pupil size, they also make it harder to see in the dark, so they are not recommended for people who drive at night or need to see well in low light for other reasons, Dr. Waring said.

- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sharp focus on the iron sights is not the only prerequisite to good shooting with "irons". Good shooting with iron sights also includes the ability to shift focus from the front sight to the bullseye/target a few times, very rapidly, then focusing on the front sight until trigger break. How would this affect the ability to do that? Just curious because I may be someone who could benefit.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Sharp focus on the iron sights is not the only prerequisite to good shooting with "irons". Good shooting with iron sights also includes the ability to shift focus from the front sight to the bullseye/target a few times, very rapidly, then focusing on the front sight until trigger break. How would this affect the ability to do that? Just curious because I may be someone who could benefit.

There are better solutions that accomplishes the same thing that this drug does, and has a ~1.5 centuries track record.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

OK, let's not read too much into my original post and dissect it.

For someone my age, seeing iron sights means wearing readers, which then screw up distance vision. This may alleviate that.

Last edited by Recoil Rob; 12/15/21 12:27 AM.

- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had 3 rounds of cast bullet loads that I wanted to use up in my open sighted 1886 model .33 WCF.

I stuck up a zero target on the backing board at 100 yards and went back to the bench.

With my contact lenses in I found that whilst I could see the aiming mark on the zero target I could not focus the foresight bead.

I put on my reading glasses. Viola! I could see the bead, BUT not the aiming mark.

I knew where the zero target was on the backing board, wanted to use up those three loads, so fired them off at where I remembered putting it.

When I retrieved it I had shot a 2 inch group.

Conclusion;- My memory is lasting better than my eye sight.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I need glasses to see distance but do not need readers. As I have aged I now struggle to see the rear sight clearly with my glasses on, no issue at all seeing sights without glasses but then the target is blurry. Not sure if the drops will help or not but worth talking to my eye doctor about it.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I vote red dot...Trijicon MRO or RMR...skip the drops.

Dave Weber
doublegunshop.com
DoubleGun Evangelist
In Charge But Not Responsible
Sidelock
Sidelock

Years ago my ophthalmologist set up my contact prescription right eye distance, left eye reading. It works great for shotgunning, but have recently discovered when I got back into pistol shooting I can’t see the sights very well with my right eye and now shoot my pistol targets with my left eye. It actually works well.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.