March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (smlekid, Marc Ret, 1 invisible), 863 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

this topic recently came up in another thread...

in my experience, i have only had this happen once...

it was a sleeved 16 ga english boxlock, made by one horatio jones, who was a small gunmaker, located south of liverpool...

anyway, the action included double under lugs and a third hidden fastener...

sent the gun to a well qualified smith, who rebuilt the bolting system, and all was well...

care to share your experiences here?

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mirikou over under... customer considered it "hard used" bought it in for missfires on the second barrel but we soon worked out it had had about 20 thousand cartridges through it... so i wouldn't have said hard used.

It didnt pop open on firing but the auto safety was linked to the underbolt... after a lot of mucking around trying to work out what was going on slow mo footage showed the underbolt was moving backwards a short way at speed enough to give the auto safety enough power to push the safety back... all springs were in good order and the gun was in otherwise good condition.

guns popping open really shouldn't be all that common. I would suggest that such an issue would be caused by lumps being knocked about and underbolts being refitted to damaged lumps. Any idiot with a hammer can make a gun "like a new one".. but it takes much more skill and work to make a gun "as good as a new one" and far more to do the work with subtlety

Sidelock
Sidelock

A brand new single shot Turkish 12 gauge, cannot remember the make, opened on nearly every shot. It was one of those folding actions with one coil spring activating both the underbolt and the trigger. Had my local spring man make a stiffer spring to the same external dimensions of the factory one. Problem cured.

I reckon that when the gun stopped against the shoulder on recoil, the inertia of the long underbolt lever, the one that hangs under the gun, was enough to compress the coil spring and retract the underbolt.

There are some older YT slow motion videos showing the effects of inertia on external shotgun parts, ie the oscillations of the opening lever on a Citori, the oscillations of the hammers on a muzzle loading SXS. It seems logical that if inertia can cause the top lever to oscillate left to right, it can cause the locking bolt to move back too. And if the movement is long enough the barrels are unlocked.

It would seem that the inertia driven moves happen after the shot has left the muzzle, so it is not such a major safety issue, but still, it is worrying. It should not happen.

I am not saying that the inertia of internal parts is the only cause, but it is a big factor.

Last edited by Shotgunlover; 11/29/21 12:42 PM.
crs Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

This thread is the first time that I have heard of this. I cannot imagine how it can happen with a well made gun in good condition.

NRA Patron, TSRA, Whittington Center, DWWC,DRSS
Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Sidelock
Sidelock

Guns opening on firing is a rare thing. Safeties being set on recoil is more common in my experience. Inertia is a powerful force. A good design takes it into account and deals with the mass of internal parts and their behavior under inertia.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Happened to me with an Ithaca Classic Doubles 20ga when I shot a couple Kent Fast Steel shells. (Late 471xxx SN gun.) Also happened, IIRC, with the early Ithaca NID 10ga magnums, when they were testing John Olin's new magnum loads.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Shotgunlover
Guns opening on firing is a rare thing. Safeties being set on recoil is more common in my experience. Inertia is a powerful force. A good design takes it into account and deals with the mass of internal parts and their behavior under inertia.

Not rare in my experience. Its amazing how many Browning O/U sporting clays guns I've seen doing it, repeatedly. It seems a rubber band stretched around the grip, and hooked on each end to the tail of the top lever works pretty good until it's been rebolted. I can count 6 in recent memory.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

There are certain wear-and-tear items on any gun. Browning's (and I assume other O/U and SxS guns) have latch springs that can get weak. The first time my Citori shot open, I order several latch springs. I replaced the one in the gun and have the others in a gun safe for the next time...it's the blue-ish spring in the top right of this photo...[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Last edited by Rubberhead; 12/02/21 11:27 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Same for a Beretta SP2 I once had. It popped open until I replaced the Top Lever spring. The replacement was noticably "beefier" than the original.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've had to fix a nice AyA #2 that needed to get a new top lever spring. The gun wasn't popping open yet but the safety was resetting because it had an automatic safety and the bolt was moving enough to reset the safety. In Elmer Keith's shotgun book he said it was not uncommon for Ithaca and Fox guns to pop open. He had a special order Ithaca they never got right.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.