March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Gankai, Pat Gidley, Gerry Addison, Jtplumb), 791 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,012
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#606944 11/24/21 05:58 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Apart from the early Westley Richards sleeving jobs, when they emblazoned their name above the SLEEVED that the Proof House then insisted on stamping on the sides of the breeches, there is usually little indication as to who carried out a sleeving task.

This gun is a Cogswell and Harrison, circa 1882, sideock non ejector built on the top lever cocking Gibbs and Pitt action patent 284 of 1873.

The locks contain either Holland patent intercepting sears, or a very similar design.

The date stamp on nitro proof when sleeved is unclear but I suspect might be 1978.

Marked on each barrel near the SLEEVED mark is a tiny E COOKE and between those stamps is 77/25 which is probably his 25th sleeving job of 1977.

I can’t find an E. Cooke in Volumes 1 or 2 of Nigel Brown, but it may be that Toby Barclay, Salopian , Damascus or Small Bore will know the answer.

Last edited by Parabola; 11/24/21 06:11 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nothing in Volume 3 either.
I have never heard of an 'E.Cooke' but I came late to the party and 1977 is a very long time ago! The joint isn't welded but then TIG welding by Bob Ladbrook hadn't been 'invented' in '77. The London trade were probably still very grumpy about the acceptance of sleeving by the Proof Houses (reluctantly!) at that time so my guess would be the Birmingham trade.

1 member likes this: Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

Growing up, I remember gunsmiths tagging their work.

That was only gunsmiths that actually did an apprenticeship somewhere.

I don’t know which schools told their students to tag their work.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dear Toby and Clapper,

Thanks for your input, and Toby thanks for checking Volume 3. I did find on the Internet a shop in Wales advertising one at cover price. but when they checked their “warehouse” it was no longer in stock. I suspect that they don’t keep any stock but just order in from Coch-y-Bonddu in Machynlleth when they get a request.

Even if TIG welding was done then there would have been little point as the breeches are a nice Damascus pattern.

The elegant solution is a gold inlay in a groove at joint, black the steel tubes, and reverse the process at the muzzles. Unfortunately the cost of the gold alone would outweigh the present value of the gun.

Mr. Cooke no doubt worked for someone in the Birmingham trade, but it is nice to see from his neatly applied stamps across the joins the pride he took in his work,

Keep Well

Parabola

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr. Cooke can sleeve my gun any time. Nice joint.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here is a picture of the inside of the right hand lock of the Cogswell Gibbs and Pitt gun.

I think the number 1028 is a patent use number.

Note that the polish on the bottom of the mainspring suffices to act as a mirror after almost 140 years.

I thought at first that the intercepting safety sear was covered by Holland’s 1887 patent but as this gun dates from 1882 or thereabouts it must be part of an earlier patent.

Last edited by Parabola; 11/28/21 06:37 PM. Reason: Typo
Sidelock
Sidelock

the all but invisible sleeve joints are incredible...would love to know how he did that? must have involved use of a lathe?

keep it simple and keep it safe...
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Smoke fitting

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

He would certainly have needed to use a lathe to bore out the breech end to accept the turned down ends of the new tubes, and to turn the tubes themselves to the appropriate diameters and cut the step.

Unless the original breech ends were perfectly round and concentric at the join he probably left the outer diameter of the tubes at that end slightly oversized to allow for “ striking down” barrels so that breech ends flow smoothly into the new metal.

It is clear from the end result that there was a great deal of skill, and probably quite a bit of patience involved.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Whilst looking up something else in Stonehenge (J.H. Walsh) “The Modern Sportsman’s Gun and Rifle” 1882, I found that where he described this model he identifies the Intercepting safety sear as a Scott patent.

Which of Scott’s many patents he doesn’t say.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.