March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Ken Nelson, Jimmy W, canvasback, Marc Ret, Licensed to kill, John E), 296 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#606939 11/24/21 04:31 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I very much so like vintage guns and hardware but I am trying to figure out the draw to detachable scope mounts. Things like the Paul Jaeger or Griffin &Howe pieces.
I understand the appeal of removing a damaged site for irons or even for close quarters. I also realize there could have been a spare or multiple range scopes available.
All that said the real root of my question is why are there so many rifles with detachable scopes yet no provision for a rear iron or Peepsight?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Marks_21
I very much so like vintage guns and hardware but I am trying to figure out the draw to detachable scope mounts. Things like the Paul Jaeger or Griffin &Howe pieces.
I understand the appeal of removing a damaged site for irons or even for close quarters. I also realize there could have been a spare or multiple range scopes available.
All that said the real root of my question is why are there so many rifles with detachable scopes yet no provision for a rear iron or Peepsight?

Scopes fail all the time. So, you would want to have two (at least). Both zeroed and ready to go. But truthfully, the vast majority of guns I see with detachable mounts are equipped for receiver and/or barrel sights.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Marks21,
If you drop a scope in it's case, it is not likely to be damaged. If you drop a scope with 8 pounds of rifle on top of it, it can very well be ruined. I used to hunt with an old German hunter that carried his gun to and from the stand without the scope attached, out of habit from years before when a lot of hunters did that.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

There's also the thought that when traveling a lot of guns got poorly handled like baggage, so owners would remove the scopes and carry them personally to avoid damage. So no reason to also have iron sights if you're simply setting your rifle up so you can easily R&R the scope to protect it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If your going on a ten day trip into the wilderness you are taking a big chance that nothing will go wrong with your scope such as a fall or as happened to myself I actually had water sloshing around in the vintage scopeI had on my equally vintage Mauser after three days into my trip and was so glad it had those expensive German take down scope mounts and a full set of iron sights.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well- to be clear I certainly understand the concept but my question is that more often than not there is NOT a true back up unless someone was carrying a spare scope. I have had 1/2 a dozen old rifles with removable scopes and not one had functional irons or a peep. I am aware things get changed or lost over the years.
I had a Winchester 54 Super grade with G&H mount and the rear site had been replaced with a blank ( likely for the scope bell to clear ) Etc etc.
DEr Ami and Vail. Thanks I hadn’t considered the removal purely for safe travel or a rough hike- certainly valid.
BrentD - two scopes surely an option but I haven’t seen any “sets” I recall being sold that way, though I did put one together myself with nice matching B&L scopes one 1.75-6 close range and the other 4-12 long range.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've not seen as many, or even any vintage rifles with detach scopes and no irons. I guess I've been lucky that way. I agree it seems darn odd.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

For what it is worth, I have about 6 rifles with detachable mounts, Jaeger, G&H, Noske and Echo, all but one rifle has back up iron sights.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Marks 21,
Your mention of B&L reminded me: One of the old selling points of B&L scope mounts was the mounts had the adjustments in the mounts themselves, allowing one scope to be used for more than one rifle without loss of zero. Changing scope from one rifle to the other was quick, easy and foolproof.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Do any of you use external adjustable scopes. They are easily moved from rifle to rifle without any problem and recorded zeros are repeatable.

This is a Unertl Small Game scope that I tend to prefer for this job.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

I personally use nothing but external adjustment scopes like Unertl, Fecker, Lyman, Stevens, or Winchester. I don't swap them from rifle to rifle as I don't care to readjust every time I switch to another old rifle. But it certainly is an option if a guy wanted to make use of one on many rifles with bases that it fits.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a baggo rifles for all purposes, but if I were going on a long term wilderness hunt, I would take my FN Mauser 30-06 with quick release German claw mounts, a Lyman 48, and a row of express sights, just in case. As for keeping my Unertls sighted in and keeping written records of the dial settings, see me in my next life.

1 member likes this: Vall
Sidelock
Sidelock

I use G&H and Jaeger QD side mounts on a couple bolt guns, with Lyman 48's as backups. (But often the scope is a backup for the Lyman 48's. I've been known to carry the scopes in a nifty German leather tube slung over my shoulder, and mounted on the gun if I take a stand and sit for a while.)

My primary hunting rifle anymore though is a Ruger 1A 6.5x55 with a Leupold 1.5-5 in offset Leupold rings on it, but the barrel sights were regulated for my standard load before the scope went on. If I mess up the scope somehow I can get it off the gun with my Swiss Army knife.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a Savage 99RS with a Kollmorgan 1.75 in a GH Side Mount, a Lyman receiver sight with the slide under the buttplate, and a folding blade rear barrel sight, everything sighted in.

Heavy gun, sold it... grin

Don't think I've ever had a detachable scope without iron back ups.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

wow ! that is a beauty, Brent !

cable
1 member likes this: BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
Sidelock

I use them often with rifles that double for varmints and predators. 1.5-6 for calling predators, coyote, fox, bobcats and 6.5x20 for varmints PDs.

I do have a B&L Balvar 8 on a 22-250 but it is in Leupold windage adjustable base and I shim for elevation, I did it for an Egg shoot to blow the minds of the younger gen. that are into turrets and parallax adjustments knob. The slick tube baffles them. I didn't win but made it to the final round.

It works fine for calling coyotes also.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Howa mini in 6.5G with Weaver 4-16 with target dot for long range small targets in Boyds thumb hole.

Same 6.5G shortened factory stock Meopta 1.5-6 for called coyotes.

I have a couple others set up this way but no pics. and even this is starting to go down the road with scope having 6, 8 and even 10x power change. I have a couple 2-12 scope that eliminate the need for a different scope.

My drillings have claw mount and I've been known to pop the scope off and hunt birds on the way back to the truck.

Back in the day when detachable and swing away mounts were popular scopes weren't near as reliable as they are now. I used Pachmayer and Weavers, still have a box of different Weaver swing away bases and rings, some new from when I closed my shop.

Last edited by oskar; 12/19/21 04:09 PM.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a .404 Jeffery Mauser 98 and a .375 H&H Model 70 Safari Classic with detachable scope mounts. Essential on a DG rifle. Both, of course, have iron sights.

Last edited by Chukarman; 01/10/22 10:20 PM.

C Man
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.