Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#606519 11/19/21 04:32 PM
Nitrah Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

do you want to see the clay above your barrels? Would you have your field gun shoot to the same point of impact? I think on birds I instinctively cover the bird but have been told on clays you should always see the target.

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
Sidelock
Sidelock

A lot of it depends on the presentation of the target and where your barrels are regulated to pattern. The first thing I would do is go pattern your gun. Many dedicated trap type guns are regulated to shoot high so you never lose sight of the bird. It's called, "floating the bird." Each gun is different and each shooter sees the target a little differently. My advice is to go to the pattern board and then go from there.

"As for me and my house we will shoot Damascus!"
Nitrah Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My question was more about preferences. I know one of my guns patterns high because I see all of the rib compared to others where I see some rib but it is more like looking down the rib. I am guessing dedicated clay shooters
see the target whereas I often, especially with field guns, cover the target.

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
Sidelock
Sidelock

Different presentations require shooting different techniques.

Different techniques are made easier or harder by whether or not you can see the bird.

When I see people at shoots that have restocked a model 21 or BSS for pure competition purposes, I can’t help but notice the high combs.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't like a gun that shoots higher than 60/40 for sporting clays. CZ is right that different presentations require different techniques, but they don't require a gun that shoots to a different place, in relation to the muzzle. Floating a bird too much is a recipe for poor shooting in sporting clays. I want the bird to be just visible above the muzzle on most presentations, but how often are you shooting at a target that requires no lead?. That's why I like 60/40.

Yes, I want my field gun to shoot to the same point of impact as my sporting clays gun. That will help not only your clays shooting but your field shooting as well. Consistency is hugely important in clays shooting.

On clays, and on birds, you should always see the target/bird. Lead makes that possible. The only exceptions to seeing this lead is a direct incomer where you must cover the bird to kill it, an overhead incomer that will go past you overhead, where you must pull through the bird, cover it with your muzzle(s) and kill it, or a springing teal where you must kill it under power by pulling through it and killing it as you lose sight of it.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

gee stan, in the last paragraph above, you used the word "kill" four times...kill. kill, kill,KILL!

bet you were salivatin after you wrote dat...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Much as I hate to admit it, I have always shot just about any design of shotgun better in clays games than my SXS doubles.

I like carrying and hunting with the doubles better.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ed good
...kill. kill, kill,KILL!

Blood makes the grass grow!

Let me ketch erm cuttin’ through the center of the ice with his head down. (Jim and Ted too)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by lonesome roads
Originally Posted by ed good
...kill. kill, kill,KILL!

Blood makes the grass grow!

Let me ketch erm cuttin’ through the center of the ice with his head down. (Jim and Ted too)

Bet you have a tough time catching your breath shuffling from the commode to the coffee maker in the morning.

Don’t get me started on that queer little moped.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
…queer...

Yer aboot half a fayg.

Last edited by lonesome roads; 11/20/21 02:50 AM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.