Interesting discussion. I suppose if I had to form an opinion on one or the other or make a choice, it would probably go to the ejector guns. However, with that said, it really does not matter to me. The fit and feel and condition of a gun is more important to me than ejectors or non. I started hunting about 65 years ago with a Winchester Model 37 single in 20 gauge. I hunted with that until my 12th birthday when my dad give me my first double, a Stevens Model 311 12 gauge. That little 26 inch barreled beauty accounted for a goodly number of dove, quail, ducks, crows, black birds, and deer. But, of course, I soon "graduated" to the world of semi autos and pumps that included Remington Sportsman, Ithaca 37 pump, Winchester semi auto, and Browning A5s. The little 311 extractor gun sat in the back of my closet or gun cabinet for many years. I shot it off and on through the years just to keep it looking good and rust free, and yes, I still have that same 311 today. I started shooting it again several years ago now when I read an article in the Shooting Sportsman magazine about a duck hunter using his 'old doubles" to hunt with. The made me think about the little double 311. I pulled it out, and after researching what size steel shot I should use in it with its improved cylinder and modified chokes, I went duck hunting with it. Amazing what a joy it was to shoot and yes, I did kill a few ducks. Well, that was the beginning - again!! I purchased an Uggie Model 30 extractor gun in 12 gauge from a gentleman on this (or the SS board??) and alternated between it and the 311. Then came the 20 gauge guns. Then the 16's and the 28s and finally a .410. Out of all of them, the 311, Uggie, and the .410 are extractor guns, the remainder being ejector guns. With all of them, I catch some hulls and I let some fly for later pick up. I have rarely had an occasion where I was in such a "swarm" of birds that I could not load and unload, either manually or automatically, Soooooo, after this long and exciting (to me!!) story, the bottom line is that like one of the gentlemen said earlier here, if you can brush you teeth you can probably catch hulls. But is it necessary to have one or the other? My mind says no. There you have it - my opinion.

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member