March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (DaveB, gunmaker, bushveld, Jimmy W, Roundsworth, Researcher), 765 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

To the Brain Trust,

Talked to Brownells tech line yesterday and was told that the kits (not the tubs) are out of stock and they are not sure when or even if that product will be available because of chemical content. I use it for repairs only and like the flow and tinting that it provides. I know they have the gel and with the thinner for it but how comparable is that to the original? Any recommendations for a suitable alternative would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

Sidelock
Sidelock

Scott

Go to the original manufacturer Devcon and buy their kit. I’ve also tried a product advertised on Facebook. You order direct from China and bypass any chemical restrictions. The ad on Facebook shows them putting a lighted firecracker in a tube plugging it and glueing over (way too much hype). However it seems to be as strong as they advertise

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Tamid.

Can you dye Devon just like Acraglas?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes I have using the dye from Brownells

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

First leaded gas, with its great smell is stopped, then Hopes #9 is changed and now Acraglas may be next. All the great smells of my youth are being killed off one by one. Good thing I have thousands of Paper Federal hulls and a red dot to load in them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tamid,
Just to clarify, any suggestion as to which Devcon is the original? I am guessing it's the High Strength. I am referring only to the original acra-glas, not the gel.
Thanks for your knowledge.

Dennis Potter
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

You might try G-flex by west systems, more viscous than accraglass but flows better with some heat. Strong and as the name implies, it has a fair bit of flex to it. Designed for wooden boat repairs, good stuff.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with KY Jon, Because modern society has given free reign to the "Joy Police" more often known as the "Health & Safety" inspectorates. In my dim past an older Engineer I worked with just before he retired said "we are letting those faceless ones in the HSE (Health and Safety Executive) to much power and it wont be long before they ban so much you wont be able to do your job properly." He is now no longer with us but John Bowen looking back you where absolutely right, I did think of listing all the things that are not obtainable for public use but when the list passed thirty I decided not to. Just remember this water is poisonous if you drink to excess and eating to many Apple pips is also not good for your health. In one way I am a little thankful that I am close to the end of my journey through this life, the future looks far from rosy.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

What are you using for a release agent on the Devcon or West Systems?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I just use grease. Seems to work well. I know they sell a release agent but never had any. Others may have different opinions.

So many guns, so little time!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.