March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Karl Graebner, Marc Ret, LeFusil, SKB, RWG, Ken Nelson), 282 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with Stan, a rib is an asset when shooting for the big bucks. However, I had my Galazan Inverness made without a rib because the gun looked so much like a Boss that I thought I would add that Boss feature. I have handled ribless Boss guns with 29" barrels and wouldn't fire the first shell out of them without a six ounce weight clamped to the lower barrel. Some of them weigh just over six pounds and balance terribly. When Don Shrum's collection came out, I had a chance to buy a mint ribless 29" Boss for very short money. I turned it down because it felt so bad in my hands. Of course, now I wish I owned it because it is worth about $50,000 more than it was offered to me for.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You and bOb Cash should get together and write a book....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Try a Perazzi ribless, which has a top rib but no side ribs. It was an option long before the Sportarm appeared.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Beretta BL-1 is ribless, and in 12 gauge weighs 6 1/2lbs. I always thought with a little customization a BL-1 could be a diamond in the rough...without the expensive price tag of some other shotguns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

NCT the opening photo of this article:

http://oplognosia.com/?p=10506

shows the personal OU of the Manton Gun company director, who was the former production manager for Holland and Holland. I believe it started life as a BL1, in Europe it has the model name Essential.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I looked at the Sportarm website, and whilst appreciating the Boss is being offered for about half the cost Boss would charge you to buy it new from them, to my mind the 1904 Edwinson Green 12 bore side lock ejector at about £5K looks to be far better value.

Shame that I haven’t got the spare £5K to put my money where my mouth is!

Sidelock
Sidelock

All the talk about great handling and low weight, due to lack of ribs is kinda lost on me. For that matter, all the bashing of the whole concept of ribs because of some perceived backwards or antiquated idea that the gun is less sound and prone to deterioration from rust, is too. Guns have been successfully built this way for hundreds of years, and I dare say if the world lasts another century and doubleguns are still around, they still will be. Why? Because "it" works. We're shooting 100+ year old guns that were built this way and they're sound as a dollar (okay, bad example).The ultimate critics are the consumers. When there becomes more that an infinitesimally small handful of people who demand ribless guns the makers may begin to notice. Ribs have reasons for being. A field gun without ribs becomes a place for twigs and other trash to get hungup, and accumulate.Top ribs contribute to better shooting and some of us like the wide ones like on many of the old Philly Fox guns. Krieghoffs have been built without side ribs, and other makes as well, for target work, for decades. Are they better than the best target guns with side ribs? Not IMO. Light weight alone does not necessarily contribute to better shooting, and "better handling" is still a moving target that people grasp for, even when they have no clue what it is.

Tell me about the gun that you picked up at the range and shot a round with, and shot the highest score of your life. Tell me about the gun you carried to a dove field and shot 80% with, when you're normally a 50% shooter. Tell me about the little quail gun that you can't miss with, when you've always shot your old favorite with mediocre success. Then, we'll try to determine what, and why, these guns made a difference in your shooting. But, if all you've got to tout is " it's different", "it's radical" or "it's lighter than it's counterparts", or "it's got no place for rust to hide", count me as uninterested.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
1 member likes this: SKB
Sidelock
Sidelock

I hear Yiltz is coming out with a ribb'less fOe tin.

Stan has Yiltz contacted you for your input yet ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

A comment from someone who makes a living out of relaying ribs is an answer to Stanton. It is from Art Isaacson, of Art's Gunshop..

"There are two kinds of ribs, those that came unstuck and those that will become unstuck".

For me, seeing the rust when ribs are lifted off, is enough to prove that side ribs (and bottom ribs on a SXS) do more harm than good. Top ribs are a pointing aid for many shooter and in any case, they do not create hidden rust traps.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I’ll have to look at my 12 gauge Darne P-19, but I know that my 10 gauge Darne R-10 has only a top rib. That contributes to its being a very svelte (for a 10 gauge) 7 pounds 3 ounces.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.