Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don’t have anything much to offer this thread, as I rarely if ever visit this cubby hole on the board. The only thing I’ve got is that when I opened the thread and saw the pics of Mike’s gun room, it immediately brought back some fond memories.
I was in Anchorage in 2007 getting ready to start a new job up around the Fairbanks area. I got ahold of Mike and he invited me over to his house. What an experience. The first place he took me was up to his research office. Spent and hour or more up there just looking through old books and pictures and listening to him talk about past and present projects. Amazing stuff up in that office, oodles of historical information, almost too much to really take in.
Next, we went to the garage and he sternly told me not to tell anyone about what we were going to see next (I think the statute of limitations has run out on that…), I said ok, and he moved a panel off of the wall, there was a door behind it and he unlocked it and we went in….I was floored. What an amazing collection of guns, exactly what you see in the pictures here on this thread. For the next two or three hours we sat down there pulling each and every gun off the rack and Mike would go through each guns history. Unbelievable experience. I remember him showing me several old grainy pictures of a rifle. I don’t remember all the details but it was an important gun, built by Ackley or Niedner I don’t remember exactly, he told the story of him trying to find that exact gun in the pictures. 30+ years of research, sleuthing, etc….just trying to find this elusive gun….and then he pulled it off the rack and showed it to me. It blew me away. What tenacity!!
My favorite gun in the rack was his W&C Scott Excellentia. It was gorgeous and in unbelievable condition. I coveted that gun and always wanted one just like it from that day on. He had a very nice W.W. Greener in the rack as well that was in beautiful condition. My favorite was the Scott though.

I miss Mike. His generosity and wealth of knowledge was amazing. I really enjoyed my initial visit and subsequent conversations and visits with him. I still think about him from time to time, and it makes me happy to see his name and guns come up in conversation. One of my favorite “gun people” ever.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am sorry I never knew him. He died before I really got interested in rifles

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was lucky to have had a correspondence with Michael, which I still have around here someplace. Our plans for the Oberlies chapter of the third book never got off the ground. I hope Joe D. still has some of it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Mills
I am sorry I never knew him. He died before I really got interested in rifles

Some here knew him well, others, like myself, wish we had known him better. That being said, I think, all of us, because of
how we felt about him, would be glad to help and encourage your interest in rifles.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.