March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Licensed to kill), 745 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,013
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15
Sidelock
Sidelock

Unlike your neighbors in Tennessee, we don't have to bring them back as they never left. Of course Ames Plantation has to use released birds in order to host their championship. That's actually a very sad occurrence as the best dogs from around Georgia work on wild birds and the whole released bird thing to determine a champion is a relatively weak alternative. That's why The Continental, a true wild bird championship, is actually a more highly regarded title for the guys that have the best dogs.
Stunning the ignorance you display every time you post, Frank.

1 member likes this: SKB
Sidelock
Sidelock

I wonder exactly where we should draw the line that separates truly wild quail from released pen raised birds? And do pen raised birds magically achieve wild bird status after surviving go some period of time in the wild? Finally, are there some defining characteristics that would positively identify a shot quail as a truly wild bird?

I ask this because I worked with a guy who had a sideline business of hatching out and raising both quail and pheasants, which he sold mostly to private game farms. So if these private paid hunting preserves buy and release pen raised birds, there is always the possibility that some may beat the odds, and survive until the next year, and perhaps even breed. So at some point, are they to be considered truly wild, and are their progeny truly wild? I'd guess that some of these massive, exclusive, and prosperous quial plantations must do some stocking in addition to their other management.

Back when my state still had decent numbers of ringneck pheasants, our Game Commission at some point began supplementing the dwindling population with stocked birds. One high school buddy's Dad was a Deputy Game Warden who did a lot of the stocking in my County. Once when we stopped at his house for my friend to grab more shells, his Dad came out and examined our bag so far. He told us that he was certain that the two big ringnecks I had shot were wild native birds, and explained that stocked males would have beaks trimmed and spurs clipped off to prevent them from mauling each other in captivity. He also said that the stocked males would not have the size or long tail feathers my birds had. He went on to say that it would be difficult to differentiate a stocked hen from a smaller native hen.

I pretty much switched over to ruffed grouse hunting when it became apparent that native ringnecks were all but extinct. I still am not excited by the prospect of paying extra for a pheasant tag for the privilege of shooting pen raised birds on State Game Lands. A lot of guys have themselves convinced that is hunting, but I'd rather chase wild grouse birds even if it means driving further and coming home empty handed a lot more often.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You're full of it...you could tell in the videos you posted those dogs were trained on released birds.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Originally Posted by GLS
To say that quail have 'disappeared" or "lost" from Georgia is understandable when the statement comes from the vast pool of ignorance present in this thread by our resident expert on quail management and all things quail.

Yep, that is ridiculous beyond the extreme. I regularly see wild bobs during the day, as I go about my farm work.

During spring gobbler season I hear a lot of quail whistling in the morning. I get a kick out of whistling them up. Gil

1 member likes this: spring
Sidelock
Sidelock

Always look forward to your "brilliant" posts, Frank. Such "wise" depth and insight. You prove my point again and again. What's next? Think we should move on to your belief that the moon landing was staged on a Hollywood lot?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I hear them too Gil but they don't survive in hunt able numbers....

One thing I do know is Georgia has probably released more quail than all states combined.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by GLS
Back to the subject matter of what the OP originally introduced: A tribute to wild bobs. Here's my above mentioned hunting bird-doggin' buddy's artistic tribute to wild bobs: a life-sized painted and carved in wood bobwhite. A few of his works sit in plantation homes in the SW of GA and N. FL quail plantation homes. The grasshopper, leaves--everything seen was carved and painted by Floyd:

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

That’s awesome.

“When faith is lost, when honor dies, the man is dead” - John Greenleaf Whittier
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Contrary to our expert on all things quail and bird dogs, but good luck training or correcting a puppy on wild birds exclusively without using either pigeons or boxed quail.

Sidelock
Sidelock

With all due respect, I find that disagree with the post immediately above. I train exclusively on Wild birds reared on this ranch......Always have.

I really don't want to get too far afield from Stan's thoughtful thread topic.
I would be amenable to discussing it further, either here or elsewhere, if it didn't distract from the intent of the OP
I won't digress into spiteful innuendos or thinly veiled insults, nor will I long endure them, especially when they are delivered via a keyboard.
While on that subject, I find that so much of what could be well intentioned discussion and request for knowledge posted here can be ruined by petty bickering and put downs.
Good shooting to all, it is THE Best Time of every year.

Last edited by mel5141; 10/05/21 10:36 AM. Reason: spelling
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would agree with your thoughts, Frank, on the number of released birds in Georgia and respectfully acknowledge that this might be one thing that you do know. The commercial quail hunting biz is big here, and for most people is their only avenue to continue to hunt these special birds while enjoying the traditions that go with it. Wild birds simply can't handle a steady diet of hunting pressure, which is one of the many reasons that you noticed me mostly just shooting in the air in the training videos I posted earlier.
The year-round cost to manage a property for quail to anywhere near its peak, while substantially forgoing the economic returns that most landowners require, all but forces them to carefully limit hunting pressure to family and friends, which no doubt prevents so many of our fellow hunters from enjoying the same opportunity.
There are some well-managed wild bird public opportunities in Georgia but they, too, hold a very limited resource in their piney woods.
I'm pretty passionate about all this as the thrill of a covey rise is simply one of the greatest things an upland hunter can experience. I'm looking forward to helping other land owners improve their management techniques at a Field Day in few weeks before hosting a Southern Regional Wild Bird Field Trial in January. Not every landowner can copy the game plan of the many great plantations around me that are able to dismiss all economic aspirations and focus purely on maximizing Gentleman Bob, but the rest of us that have similar goals can find a balance, and by doing so, it's a thrill to enjoy the many victories you feel when your dogs lock up on a covey and you realize that it's not only your pups that tremble in excitement.

Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.