March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Marc Ret, graybeardtmm3, Ian Forrester, Jeremy Pearce, 1 invisible), 841 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15
Sidelock
Sidelock

That shot went right over their bow Mel...

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

You may have missed the part about the man pursuing WILD bird, something you have told us that you do not do because they do not exist.

Check your bow.....

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

There has not been a hunt-able population of wild quail in the south since the early 1980s SteveO'

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Texas is still in the South, as is Georgia. You are not paying attention.

I think you will be "safer at home"

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
2 members like this: Stanton Hillis, spring
Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Homeless they are not burning "the woods'. They are burning the understory that supports most of the other plants and animals.

1 member likes this: spring
Sidelock
Sidelock

“Burning doesn’t work and we have no birds,” suggest sOme. Is it possible some don’t have birds because they don’t burn?
The secret sauce has long been discovered to having plenty of wild birds; it’s largely just a function of landowners implementing a variety of practices on a large enough scale that have been demonstrated repeatedly to work. All the research, particularly for east of the Mississippi, shows that quail prefer to nest in areas that were either burned or disturbed 2 years before.
Some even say that there used to be birds before management practices were implemented. May be some truth to that, especially if those practices include fire prevention, for as we know, wildfires used to be left to do their thing. Smokey Bear syndrome on federal, state, and most private lands has been a huge culprit.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was a co-owner in a 2350 acre ranch is West Texas until about 2 1/2 years ago. Four -Five years ago, we would have 30-50 coveys of pointed Bobs a day. About nine or ten years ago we had a wild fire that consumed 3/4 of the ranch. It was scary looking at the sand desert after the fire. It came back beautifully and produced some of the best quail years we ever had. The last few years have not been too good for quail in W Texas. Most of the blame rest with weather conditions and rain at the right times. Habitat changes little in Cowboy Country. I'm looking forward to what this year will bring as I limitedly hunt on friend's ground.
Bob Jurewicz

1 member likes this: spring
Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here in the mixed-grass prairie, the talls grow just above the meadows, the mids next, and then the shorts on the hilltops. Gotta remember that multiple burns are required to allow the native plants to begin to outgrow the invaders, especially Kentucky bluegrass. After that, recommendations for livestock producers are about once every four years. Trouble is many are not set up for rotational grazing. I have one plot I have burned nine times and the natives are flourishing, but no cattle use it. And my target species, smooth brome and Western wheaatgrass, are still common. One of the keys is to burn when the bluegrass is in full flower and the roots are lowest in nutrients. Another problem that develops here under idle conditions is the movement of low prairie species upslope because of increased soil moisture. For example, some say it takes at least 20 burns to get buckbrush (Symphoricarpos) back to the low prairie that it originally flourished in. Season long grazing is another problem to be avoided if prairie restoration is the goal as is use of herbicides as they are not species specific.

crs Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I’ve twice witnessed a red tailed Hawk take a quail."

I saw that once when hunting birds and those hawks will never attack another quail.

NRA Patron, TSRA, Whittington Center, DWWC,DRSS
Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

My hunting buddy and I run a string of Brittanys, two of his, and two of mine (The MuttPak), primarily for woodcock with an occasional bonus of wild quail. In a season we might run into 5 or 6 coveys which would be what folks in parts of TX and SW Ga. might find in an hour of hunting. We do what we can over the season assisted only by boot leather, shotguns and shells. But we do it on public land which we have hundreds of thousands of acres to chose from with no competition in the woodcock woods. Our Britts do a good job in all aspects of the hunt from finding, pointing, holding and retrieving. They're not high rollers like big running pointers or setters, but then neither are we, but we go 25-30 times a season and always look forward to the next. As Aldo Leopold wrote: “I cannot explain why a red rivulet is not a brook. Neither can I, by logical deduction, prove that a thicket without the potential roar of a covey of quail is only a thorny place. Yet every outdoorsman knows that this is true..." To that, I would add "to the roar of covey of quail" the twitter of a woodcock. Gil

2 members like this: spring, Stanton Hillis
Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.