March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (eightbore, SKB, steve voss, Lawrence Kotchek, battle, Perry M. Kissam), 336 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,000
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not a serious clays shooter, but I can often see the shot cloud. I have 20/15 vision, but I don't think that is the key. You need to look through it, not try to focus on it. It is a dim shadow against the sky.

"Smoke" is an excellent description. A smoke cloud is a cluster of small particles, after all.

Last edited by Carl46; 10/02/21 08:41 PM.

Caution: Hunting and fishing stories told here. Protective footgear may be required.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yep.
Years ago, a shooting buddy diagnosed me as shooting ahead of the birds on a skeet range, as he had seen the shot swarm.
A 30 Y.O. USAF fighter pilot at the time, he had something like 20/10 vision when he had attended pilot training.
He pointed out that he did it best on overcast days, preferably with fairly high humidity.

“When faith is lost, when honor dies, the man is dead” - John Greenleaf Whittier
Sidelock
Sidelock

I shot formal 10 meter air pistol for many years and soon after getting into serious training I could see the flight of the pellet almost every time. Soon after I could see the flight of bullets from firearm pistols. I clearly recall seeing the red bullet bases of Geco 9mm's.

A few times I have seen slugs out of shotguns when sighting in. But I have never managed to catch sight of a shot cloud. I am wondering if the shot cloud could be seen in low velocity loads. If so, then the eye could be trained to see the shot cloud by starting with low velocity and building up to regular velocities. It is easier to see something if you know what you are looking for.

If we could train to see the shot cloud consistently that would be the end of many "expert" careers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

They're seeing a mirage

Sidelock
Sidelock

One doesn’t actually see the shot but a disturbance of some sort. You have to focus about 2/3 of the way to the clay and have a blue sky behind it and (for me) to have the right angle of light and not be facing anywhere towards the sun. Given the right conditions I can see more than half of the shot clouds.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have seen the shot cloud many times and it sure wasn't a mirage.
It appears as a dirty smudge for a second. I don't have ecceptional vision either, in fact it's poor.
I see it standing behind the shooter on an overcast day.
Pete

crs Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

This reminds me of the first time I saw my BB in flight. After a while, it became common.
Similar with skeet. When I was "on" the clay would seem to move in slow motion and even stop while the shot hit it. Not all the time, but a great feeling when it occurred.

NRA Patron, TSRA, Whittington Center, DWWC,DRSS
Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tom, interesting you mention the aspect of High Humidity. I would imagine that the shot may in some way squeeze moisture droplets from the air and make the effect more visual. Much in the way that if you crack a flag by waving it sharply and it condenses moisture droplets. You might be on to something there as to why it's more noticeable in certain conditions. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Like, none of you fellows have ever seen the vorteci (sp?) coming off the rear wing of a Formula One car?

It’s the way the light reflects off the air of different density.

I see the shot cloud regularly as a smudge, or as smoke.

Occasionally, to steal a phrase from Michael Macintosh, I see the shot cloud “like a swarm of angry bees” enveloping the bird with a wet smack.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by lagopus
Tom, interesting you mention the aspect of High Humidity. I would imagine that the shot may in some way squeeze moisture droplets from the air and make the effect more visual. Much in the way that if you crack a flag by waving it sharply and it condenses moisture droplets. You might be on to something there as to why it's more noticeable in certain conditions. Lagopus.....

Pretty much what I always figured.
I never saw it myself, just passing on what a seriously skilled skeet shooter and field wing shot told me. I did slow my swing and broke a lot more birds that day.
He’s no BSer, either. If he tells me he saw Santa Claus, I’m putting out milk and cookies.

“When faith is lost, when honor dies, the man is dead” - John Greenleaf Whittier
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.