March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Licensed to kill, bigblock, Der Ami, JDH, Jtplumb, 1 invisible), 361 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

If any of you gents have a copy of Hemingway's Guns- 2nd. ed- pages 246-247 detail a Spanish gunmaker in Eibar, Victor Saraqueta-- I have just acquired a 20 bore Saraqueta sibe-by-side, 28" Imp. cyl. & mod. DT, Ext- full pg stock and small beavertail fore with push rod release in tip of forearm wood. Gun looks to be "as new" doubt if it was fired very much, if at all-sction is a bit "stiff" when unbreaching and closing-- haven't pattern tested it yet--my friend Stan Hillis was king ebough to research the importer who was located some time ago in Atlanta GA. I have somehow misplaced by Terry Wieland book "Spanish Best" and my Steve Bodio book doesn't really give me enough details. If anyone owns or has owned a Saraqueta double gun, I would appreciate hearing from you and what your opinion is as to quality and field handling qualities. Muchas gracias- El Zorro. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

there was more than one saraskeeter in the trade...does yours have a first name or initial stamped on the barrels? like maybe v for victor or f for felix...

https://www.google.com/search?q=sar...592j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Last edited by ed good; 09/27/21 12:18 AM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

V as in Victor-- Ah, usted conozor las escapetas hechan en Eiber, amigo. Muy Bien..El Zorro

Sidelock
Sidelock

having seen a few of victor's and felix's guns, my impression is that victor's guns exhibit better fit and finish and more figured wood...

and then there is jj, who i know little about...

i do know that spanish gun makers create products to fit into various price point markets...they are safe shooters, as they must pass long established spanish proof...

however, there is the "spanish curse", as it is known in the used gun trade...which has to do with heat treating issues with small internal parts, such as springs, sears, triggers and pins...

Last edited by ed good; 09/27/21 10:04 PM.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ed, I can only wonder how the Spanish made guns that Ernest Hemingway either used himself, or gave to friends to shoot, made in Eibar, held up. Hemingway used all his guns hard, demanded reliable performance (his favorite esopeta was his 1928 era M12 12 gauge) and of course, was in love with Spain and Spanish speaking people. heat treating standards may have varied from one European country to another back in Hemingway's days- also, if I am correctly informed, many of the Spanish gunmakers did contracting work for the London makers. El Zorro---

Sidelock
Sidelock

one would presume hemingway only purchased top quality spanish made gons...

i have no knowkedge of spanish gunmakers doing any work for london makers...

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Actually, there are more than "one" in that presumption mileu, Fast Eddie- besides yours truly- a devout Hemingway stdent, you could add my friend Silvio Calabi, and his dos Amigos, Senor Helsey y tamien Senor Sanger. Hemingway owned and shot over his lifetime, besides the Model 12- various shotguns made by: Adamy, L.C. Smith, Liege, Winchester M21 (20 gauges_ Winchester M42, Cordy & Fils, Browning Superposed, Browning Auto-5, Merkel, Beretta S- Sovrapposto 12 gauge, and W.C. Scott & Son-- A few were purchased new, most were purchased second-hand, and he was a steady cutomer at A&F's Griffin&Howe gunroom--RWTF/El Zorro

Sidelock
Sidelock

souns like heminway had a few extra shekels to spread around...

Sidelock
Sidelock

RWTF, I used to own a Victor Sarasqueta 20 gauge that very much resembled the gun you describe. It had the same small BTFE, PG, DT, etc. Mine was called a Woodland Zephyr IIRC. It had minimal engraving and plain wood with a checkered butt. I had the IC barrel opened to cylinder for use in close cover, and the gun performed quite well for that purpose.

I have long enjoyed Mr. Hemingway's work, but know nothing of his guns (other than "the little Mannlicher"). I do hope you enjoy yours.

Caution: Hunting and fishing stories told here. Protective footgear may be required.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Nice to hear from another Hemingway fan and from the "Show Me State".. You have described the gun I have (at present) to a "T". I might keep it but as my old friend and best gunsmith I knew, along with Buck Hamlin, from your home State by the by--anyway, Brad Bachelder could no doubt, adjust the heavy trigger pulls this Saraqueta has to those more to my liking--On a 7 to 7&1/2 lb. double in 12 gauge, I like 3&3/4 for the front trigger, and 4&1/4 lb. for the rear trigger- 4 lbs. pull even for a SST shotgun. I do a lot of varmint hunting, and also .22 target pistol shooting in the Winter months- to my mind, good crisp and consistent trigger pulls are a key to accuracy. Anyway, with Brad sadly gone from our world, the shooting fraternity lost a master craftsman-- May I suggest you order a copy of the second edition of "Hemingway's Guns" by Silvio Calabai and his dos amigos-- details and details, and Don Ernesto was a major fan of Spanish made shotguns, a habit no doubt acquired from his many years in both Spain, and in Cuba, where he shot live pigeons for serious dinero at the club near to his Finca Vigia hacienda.

FWIF in closing, my favorite of all his novels is "Islands In The Stream" and short story-- "The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber". Salud El Zorro--

1 member likes this: WRE1
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.