March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Jimmy W, fullandfuller, craigd, Lloyd3, gasgunner, 1 invisible), 303 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,980
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#603754 09/30/21 12:14 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Jonny is well reasoned, articulate and provocative here.

But he couldn’t stay just with guns, he had to also go with best wing shooting, best gun reviewers and best shooters.

That little twinkle in his eye at the last gives away that he’s certainly enjoying this one a bit over much.

Speude Bradeos
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Regarding guns, I would just ask what is the gun’s purpose? Clearly my 25” Purdey is not the best gun for trap.

Best wing shooters? He doesn’t have a point. They do have Digweed.

Best gun reviewers? What a load of bollocks. Every nationality is capable of both objectivity and bias.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

John puts out a lot of good videos. He reviews about a hundred guns before the Holts auction. Does a number of clay shooting videos. His opinions are different but mostly based on his shooting world experiences. Decent steel shot reviews for double uses. As to best of anything it always brings into mind that a ugly gun is beautiful if it is your only gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The title of the video and this Thread amount to rash generalizations that are meaningless apples to oranges comparisons. The very best hand made custom rifles and shotguns produced by Americans compare favorably with guns made anywhere. And our mass produced machine made guns stack up quite nicely too, when compared to mass produced guns built elsewhere. Comparing a hand made Boss or Purdey to an Ithaca or Stevens is just as ridiculous as comparing a Chevy Cobalt to a Formula 1 car. And it wouldn't be fair to compare a cheap Birmingham working man's gun to a Lefever Optimus or John Nichols shotgun either. But there is no question that the gun making trade in Great Britain reached an overall higher level of refinement, while ours was generally geared toward mass production and mass marketing. You could say our talent for mass production saved the British trade from being conquered by Adolph Hitler & Co. And you could also say that we have now outsourced and off-shored that capability today, and morphed into a nation where too many people would rather stay home and collect Government money hot off the printing press. I'm blown away by the number of businesses I see that are closed or have reduced operations because they don't have enough employees, while millions are collecting unemployment checks. This must certainly be a factor in recent ammunition shortages.

And once upon a time, there was active and frequent international competition to determine which nation had the best shooters in all of the various disciplines. Now international shooting competition has dwindled, and it is hard to find, even when there is an Olympics, because the shooting sports have been demonized. So we are largely left with opinions. We have some guys right here who could outshoot George Digweed, to hear them talk. I'm mainly concerned with how well I can shoot. And gun reviews are largely a matter of personal taste. I read a lot of good things about Turkish shotguns, but haven't been moved to buy any yet.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

4 members like this: Ted Schefelbein, greener4me, mc, Buzz
Sidelock
Sidelock

The British 'need' to judge all things by snooty standards is both a credit to their esthetic, and a blot on it. It's a plus in that it has driven them to set their own high standards in certain endeavors.

But the negative outweighs the positive, in that the nexus of such snootiness extends from their societal class system, topped by royalty, and extending right on down the the striving class of cockney who've made good enough in business to buy the finer things.

For, if all you aspire to is to "be" a higher class, such that even when you succeed, you mark your achivement by garnering the trappings of that lording class...then are you really even free of them?

It almost doesnt matter now, as they've allowed themselves to be so colonized the foreigners who could care less about 'pax Britania'...and have at the same time so gutted themselves and their institutions with self immolating beliefs, that in a couple more generations the English will be spoken of in Britain the way Native Americans are regarded in the United States.

As an almost dead festage of a bygone time...supplanted by ungrateful and unapologetic people who have no need for or connection to anything recognizably "British" other than bad weather, worse food, and gangly teeth.

It's almost hard to believe they once ruled 2/3's of the world from that little gray island.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Digweed is arguably the winningest sporting clays shooter in the world, but the one time I was fortunate enough to be entered in a shoot where he was competing he was beaten by my friend Bill McGuire (who was HOA), at the American "leg" of the Triple Classic. Nevertheless, Digweed's record stands for itself, and I found him to be a great ambassador for shooting sports worldwide. It was certainly fun watching him shoot.

I'm with Keith .............. I'm mainly concerned with how well I can shoot.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nudde. If I was not a true gentleman I I would say that you are just repeating things about the British that you you found funny in junior school because the teeth, bad weather, and food has been recited more times than I have had hot meals, so much so it is like water flowing of a Ducks back to us Brits, just as a point of interest our little Island is undoubtedly green. Did you take world history at school though I must say I am beginning to doubt it? Yes the British did rule 2/3 of the world and it is something that no other country will ever accomplish again if they wish though watch your back China is looking to try it. Just in case you did not know the Union Jack is still flying in more places on this planet thanks to the British Commonwealth and of course those meany Ensign flags of other countries around the planet. I do wonder whether you have looked closer to home recently, if you have Medical insurance I bet it costs an arm and a leg for a family so much so many people do not have it, In Britain the National Health is all free to all at point of use to everyone irrespective of how much money you have. OK the British Empire is a thing of the past but the British language is taking over the world, so in a way the British legacy democracy trial by jury is still growing if we cant have the world one way we will have it more peacefully in another you do have one attribute though you did speak all that old anti British crap out of your "Ass Hole!" But me being a true gentleman I could not bring myself to say such things about you.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

This debate was settled definitively 120 years ago wink
The 1901 Anglo-American Match
https://docs.google.com/document/d/185YOyQl7GIB9OYLs9Hr3tnMLHqs4rjEdR4j_E9l4HLw/edit

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

George Digweed was the winner of the 2007, 2008 and 2009 900 Target All Around Championships
ATA Trap @ 16 yds - 50 targets, ATA Trap @ 27 yds - 50, ATA Doubles - 50, NSSA Skeet - 75, NSSA Doubles - 75, English Sporting - 100, 5 Stand - 100, FITASC - 100, International Skeet - 100, Bunker Trap - 100, Flyers - 50, Helice - 50.

The last Nad Al Sheba Sporting Clays Championship in Dubai was in 2015 and it was truly a world competition. The winner in 2014 was Gebben Miles of Tucson with a Krieghoff, and in 2015 Derrick Mein of Girard, KS (now Olathe) with a Kolar.

Sidelock
Sidelock

What about British gun writer Gough Thomas and his very favorable comments about the Winchester Model 12--? RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Damascus,

I'm a Yankee of partial English descent, with family there...and I worked in London for years...Edinburgh for a shorter stint. I'm fully qualified to opine on all things British, up to, and including, your German queen.

I am in fact an afficianado of much old English tradition. But just as in Yankeeland, not all is roses. And I grew very tired of much of the baseless haughtiness...gun making included. Yes, London best likely is the best. But the asthetic many conjure to 'wax poetic' about it is...boorish.

Britain, as a nation, can make no "claim" on the brilliance of of a short list of creators (Manton, Purdy, Scott, Greener, Richards, etc.)...just as America can't claim that Browning, Lefever, etc were somehow a "product" of our nationhood.

BTW, you can be certain I'm a gentleman because I refrained from commenting on warm beer and sports with zero strategy. *s*

NDG

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.