April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (SKB, griz, Jimmy W, Jason Dubois, Longknife), 191 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,433
Posts544,709
Members14,402
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

My nicest, a Purdey 16 case with all the toys, my favorite, a Gunn fleece lined breakdown case, of which I have three and wish it were fourteen.

Regrets, that I am TDY right now and cannot take and post pictures.

Last edited by old colonel; 09/28/21 12:07 AM.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bob those old leather buggy cases are cOOl looking.....

(look at cOOl bOb with his clapped out buggy case)

When I think practical gun case I think Mulholland.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stephen I did not restock the gun myself because at the time I did not have the skill set to tackle one of the most difficult wood bar guns to restock even at my best I feel that I would hesitate to take it on. It is another story in its self but to cut it short it took me approximately three years to save the cash for the work, it was done in Birmingham by a Purdey out worker due to retire. I handed him all the money for the work (naivety of youth) I did get a lot of doom and gloom from work colleagues with "that is the last you will see of that my son" nine months later I returned to Birmingham this time to his home to collect the gun. Over the years I have been told many times that it is the finest restock job on a Purdey they have ever seen, so that time faith in human nature paid off.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Those old cases are nice....just not practical for transport any more.

Back in the day Porters had respect for peoples property in this day and time they would relish destroying a wood n leather case.

They have no practical use for gun storage either....all they have going for them is gun club cOOl factor.

Here comes ol' cOOl bOb with his weird gun case.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by damascus
Stephen I did not restock the gun myself because at the time I did not have the skill set to tackle one of the most difficult wood bar guns to restock even at my best I feel that I would hesitate to take it on. It is another story in its self but to cut it short it took me approximately three years to save the cash for the work, it was done in Birmingham by a Purdey out worker due to retire. I handed him all the money for the work (naivety of youth) I did get a lot of doom and gloom from work colleagues with "that is the last you will see of that my son" nine months later I returned to Birmingham this time to his home to collect the gun. Over the years I have been told many times that it is the finest restock job on a Purdey they have ever seen, so that time faith in human nature paid off.

Damascus;

That is a wonderful story of faith and confidence in a craftsman and the craftsman's goal and zeal to do what "he said he was going to do, when he said he was going to do it"---old school honesty and diligence. your photos did not show all the areas of the fit of the stock, but I could see enough to know it was beautiful work, and if said that you had stocked it, I wanted to know how you learned such skills.

Speaking of Birmingham based stockers, have you ever met the outstanding stocker in Birmingham's Price Street, Malcolm Cruxton? I first met him back in 2002 when he allowed me to come into his shop and talk about the Birmingham gun trade.

Stephen Howell

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by HomelessjOe
Those old cases are nice....just not practical for transport any more.

Back I'm the day the Porters had respect for peoples property in this day and time they would relish destroying a wood n learher case.

They have no practical use for gun storage either....all they have going for them is gun club cOOl factor.

Here comes ol' cOOl bOb with his weird gun case.

"A thing of beauty is a joy forever." ----John Keats

Stephen Howell

Sidelock
Sidelock

jOe. You seem to be extremely dictatorial about the practical use of wood and leather or box cases in general, in fact you are wrong on a number of counts. you do not think that gun makers supplied guns in box cases so that they could fix their trade label's in no matter how fancy they are, the answer to this is NO! Box cases where and are a very practical deterrent to a guns worst enemy damp and the Brit Maritime climate in some coastal areas there can be more water in the air than in the local reservoir. It is still true if you keep guns standing in a cabinet without taking constant precautions to keep damp away from them, because every time you open the cabinet door they all get a drink of water. It is far easier to keep the inside of of a box case dry rather than a whole gun cabinet, just so you know the traditional gun case dryer was Rice this being a good moisture absorb er then it was put in a hot place to dry out and then re used of course today we use "Silica Gel" to do the same thing. So jOe all my guns a tucked up snugly and damp free in there individual box cases some with and others without their makers trade label and a goodly helping of "Silica Gel". The heavy stout cases where also made that way to protect the gun from poor handling porters of all trades have not changed their spots in the last hundred years they still drop things you know, the case my end up in not so good shape but with a little luck the gun will be un damaged that is why Victorian cases have large heavily cast Brass corner protectors, we drive mostly smaller cars on this side of the pond get rear ended with an expensive gun in your boot (trunk to you) you could be looking at an extremely expensive outcome to make things good again. As for what people think about the guns case and those at the club I do not give a sh1t !!!! My gun my my gun case my property to do with as I please. Finally not every person lives in a desert do they so box cases still have their uses and not being altogether eye candy.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

My favorite case at the moment, Lancaster smooth rifle with some nice bits in the case.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

I like this case but it seems to be a copy of the London best case like Damascus posted. Anyone know who made these? It’s real leather but inside isn’t as nice as a 1910 London case? I have one of those also but no proper gun for the London case.

Inside is much cheaper than these

Last edited by Jtplumb; 09/29/21 11:08 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

This is one of my favorite cases. It fits a Horton 16 bore with 28 inch barrels Cyl/full weighing 5 lbs. 10 oz. Note the leather pouch with all accessories, essentially unused. Horton beautifully finished these guns. What a little time capsule!

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Owen
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.