March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Marc Ret, coosa, HalfaDouble, Gunning Bird, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 404 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

this thread is for you guys who wish to carry on the debate...on infernidummmm....

Last edited by ed good; 09/26/21 04:04 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

this looks interesting...

https://www.google.com/search?q=is+it+safe+to+shoot+smokeless+in+twist+barrels+%3F&rlz=1CATMUU_enUS964&oq=is+it+safe+to+shoot+smokeless+in+twist+barrels+%3F&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60.2201j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Last edited by ed good; 09/26/21 04:08 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

ONLY IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!

"As for me and my house we will shoot Damascus!"
ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

how bout dis...the last paragraph in particular...

https://randywakeman.com/WeldedShotgunBarrels.pdf

Last edited by ed good; 09/26/21 11:59 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ed good
how biut dis...the last paragraph in particular...

https://randywakeman.com/WeldedShotgunBarrels.pdf

You’re a bigger dip$hit than Randy Wakeman, and that’s saying something right there.

5 members like this: Gr8day, JBLondon, Hammergun, SKB, Dan S. W.
ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

well fusil, here is a link to wakeman's credentials...

https://randywakeman.com/about.htm

care to show yours?

Last edited by ed good; 09/27/21 12:11 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I thought that the "Damascus Roulette" group had disappeared. Sherman Bell's articles, along with Doc Drew's posts here, pretty much answer that question.

1 member likes this: DAM16SXS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by L. Brown
I thought that the "Damascus Roulette" group had disappeared. Sherman Bell's articles, along with Doc Drew's posts here, pretty much answer that question.

I was never a Damascus guy, Larry, but, I have moved on from being an old gun guy. Once you get to about the 1920s in age, the quality of steel used goes up logarithmically, and old wood is often nobodies friend. I don’t want to be the guy holding the bag on a stocked to the fences turn of the last century gun that needs a restock, or rebarrel.

Some Damascus ages better than others.

Best,
Ted

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Edd is a con man finding a non-existent problem and saving everyone from it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by L. Brown

We have seen examples of Damascus and Twist barrels that have blown up. We have also seen plenty of examples of Fluid Steel barrels that have blown up. The reasons they blew up have been varied. Some have blown due to overloads or bore obstructions. Some have blown due to dents, pitting, or being honed thin. Some have blown due to hidden defects within the metal.

The debate continues, and it will continue long after Ed is gone. There are still Skeet Clubs and shooting venues that won't permit shooting of Damascus guns for "Liability" reasons. And every so often, we will continue to hear or read about a Damascus, Twist, or Fluid Steel barrel that blows up for some reason or other. However, there is no comparison between the research done by Sherman Bell (or Buck Hamlin for that matter) and what Doc Drew has posted here. Sherman Bell conducted a series of tests to confirm or disprove what had been written and stated as fact about Damascus barrels for years. He performed actual destructive testing using loads of increasing pressure until his test barrels failed in dramatic fashion. He tested both Damascus and Fluid Steel barrels from the same gun maker using the same increasing loads. He worked with Tom Armbrust so the pressures produced by his loads were a known quantity. He personally analyzed the results, and recognized and stated the limitations of his testing, i.e., the limited sample size, etc.

Mr. Bell then continued testing to learn even more, and published the results in several detailed articles in the Double Gun Journal. The Preacher, on the other hand, has not done any of this sort of destructive testing, and has admitted that he only owns one Damascus barreled L. C. Smith OE grade with thin, pitted barrels. What he Copies and Pastes as Threads and Posts here is the work and research of other people... including Sherman Bell. Regurgitating the work done by others is no great revelation.

Since the recent death of the Damascus researcher Peter Mikalajunas, known here as PeteM, even his Damascus website and Damascus video links have been replaced with a blunt warning that you will blow your hand off if you shoot your Damascus barreled gun. The links to Pete's excellent website and copyrighted video is now redirected to https://gunlawsuits.org/glossary/damascus-barrels/

www.damascus-barrels.com

http://www.damascus-barrels.com/Movie.html

I still wish there was some way we could contact Pete's family to see if the contents of his website and his Damascus video was stored on a disc or hard drive, and could somehow be permanently archived in the FAQ forum here. It's a shame to see all of that knowledge lost forever.

Like the current debate with the Covid19 vaccines... there will continue to be believers and skeptics. I got the Moderna vaccine, and I shoot Damascus barreled guns with low pressure smokeless loads. No problem with either so far. I only wish I knew about Sherman Bell's results when I passed on great deals on a Damascus B Grade Lefever and a Damascus A Grade Harrington and Richardson (and many other nice Damascus guns), because I thought they were only good for wall hangers.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.