March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Roundsworth, 12boreman, WBLDon, Travis S), 634 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
ed good #603412 09/25/21 08:44 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

"one never knows when one of these old guns is going to let go...if one must shoot guns with twist steel barrels, then do so only occasionally...and then only use shells loaded with powder the gun was designed for...ie: black powder..."

Regulars here ed understand that you repeat things over and over, "facts" that you must know to be false, simply to draw attention to yourself by prolonging the same threads you initiate...over and over.
And to get a rise from those of us who know what you say is BS.

The problem is that visitors to the site may not know better.
So I'll take the bait and provide you some gratification and entertainment with this...for like the 15th time

Remington Arms 1893 "Guaranteed For Nitro Powder"

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Parker Bros. 1893 Catalog
“Our guns are bored on the latest improved system for shooting Nitros, or Smokeless Powder, and all our guns are tested with some one of the most approved makes, and a tag accompanies each gun, giving the results of such a (pattern) test.”

Listing in the 1902 Sears catalog "Bored For Nitro or Black Powder"

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

ed good #603417 09/25/21 10:34 AM
ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

gee guys, i know its hard to focus, but please do try to stay on topic...and remember this is about opinion...

any other specific examples of guns you consider as unsafe?

Last edited by ed good; 09/25/21 10:43 AM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
ed good #603420 09/25/21 11:53 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stanton Hills, maybe it's just British farmers but that is from long experience. I'm sure some U.K. members may agree. The attitude seems to be one of 'well it hasn't blown up so far'. I've seen some real shockers in use. Rusty things propped up in cow shed windows, tucked round the back of tractor seats and even bits of welded patches on the barrels covering holes. Maybe it will be less so as a new generation takes over and guns here being as cheap as they are at the moment. Lagopus.....

1 member likes this: Imperdix
ed good #603421 09/25/21 12:05 PM
ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

lag, re your comment about welded patches on barrels...have seen more than one old, well used twist steel barrelled gun with similar repairs, except, pin holes were filled with brass looking material and then draw filed to blend in...

it is my understanding that because black powder pressure is relatively low, pin holes will develop in an old worn out twist barrel, before it will erupt...your view, if any...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
ed good #603431 09/25/21 01:49 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Marlin has advised owners of their old hammer pump guns that they are unsafe to shoot. I don't recall exactly why, but it seems like there was something about firing out of battery.

Caution: Hunting and fishing stories told here. Protective footgear may be required.
lagopus #603438 09/25/21 02:45 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by lagopus
Stanton Hills, maybe it's just British farmers but that is from long experience. I'm sure some U.K. members may agree. The attitude seems to be one of 'well it hasn't blown up so far'. I've seen some real shockers in use. Rusty things propped up in cow shed windows, tucked round the back of tractor seats and even bits of welded patches on the barrels covering holes. Maybe it will be less so as a new generation takes over and guns here being as cheap as they are at the moment. Lagopus.....

Thanks for the reply, lagopus. Having farmed, and lived in a highly agricultural region, all of my life here I couldn't make a case that farmers have any corner on carelessness or foolhardiness concerning guns. It seems to be fairly and equally distributed throughout our society. Fools are where you find them, and carelessness seemingly abounds in every station.

Best, Stanton Hillis

May God bless America and those who defend her.
lagopus #603440 09/25/21 03:16 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by lagopus

Got to agree ,here in UK `farmers gun` is a well recognised term which immediately paints a mental picture that you describe....seen many such used over the years,most of which were proudly described as `good killers` or `hard hitters` . To the credit of their makers ,i`ve never heard of one that `let go`!!! In fact I`ve not seen any gun that burst or badly bulged other than due to an obstructed bore in my 50 yrs afield.

1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Imperdix #603446 09/25/21 05:03 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Seems to me I once read an article by a Brit- denegrating American boxlock guns- in particular he remarked that Parkers were stout guns, without grace or balance, and suitable for yeomen and farmers usage-- RWTF.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
ed good #603450 09/25/21 07:21 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ok, before I start. I am from a long line of farmers, grew up on the farm and have and still do dabble in it as an adult. I'll just say this. A lot of well abused crappy guns show up on the auctions when farmer's wives sell out the household! Now maybe the kids have kept the good stuff, but.

Case in point. We kept a Stevens Favorite inside the pump house along with a box of shells. It was there for convenient problem solving. Never wiped down, cleaned, lubed etc. It was a tool, nothing more. It is a shame as it was a relatively rare version as far as Stevens Favorites go. Probably worth a couple hundred now if it had received average care.

Chief

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Originally Posted by ed good
stan, recently, an avid shooter i know of had a scary experience...seems like he occasionally shot skeet with a 12 gauge parker hammer gun with damascus barrels, using light smokeless loads...been doing so for quite awhile...well this summer, he was shooting as usual, when one of the barrels erupted, with a few inches of barrel being blown out...fortunately, no one was hurt...one never knows when one of these old guns is going to let go...if one must shoot guns with twist steel barrels, then do so only occasionally...and then only use shells loaded with powder the gun was designed for...ie: black powder...

and as for shooting .017 or similar thin barrel walls...a barrel blockage of any kind or a severe barrel dent will cause pressures to increase rapidly...in that situation, the thinner the barrel walls, the more likely there will be a bulge or eruption...i would think...

That reply is so full of assumptions I won't even begin to address them. And, it didn't even begin to answer the question I asked.

So there is no such thing as nitro proved Damascus barrels?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.