March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Owenjj3, NCTarheel, gunmaker, 3 invisible), 381 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,006
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Joe, I can afford to spend on a quality repair for one barrel as I do not have anything in the gun. But only if such repair would be lasting. Also the threads for the screw are cut into the opposing outside edges of the barrel contours under the rib. This does not seem safe to me. Thoughts?

Anyone use a high end adhesive to secure the rib? I have read about this idea using super strong mixes such as used in aero space. Could be applied to the 32" barrel as a test.

Last edited by LetFly; 09/13/21 08:37 AM.
LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am curious to understand why the damage is the same on both barrels. Both have separation of the locking extension from the barrels. Lumps are solid as are the remaining rib-barrel weld. I own Remington, Lefever, Parker, Fox, and many JP Sauer from the same vintage. None show this type of weakness in the rib extension. Weak solder at the factory perhaps? Or digesting high pressure modern smokeless loads?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Your Ithaca is the only gun that I have run into that has a single one piece rib soft soldered its entire length. All the others have a short rib at the breech usually brazed on. Hell usually freezes over before they turn lose.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
1 member likes this: LetFly
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have done a complete relaying of the ribs on a Ithaca shotgun with the rib extension it was the first ithaca I did at trinidad it was tinned with no brazing it is a flues I think but the same idea its a big job

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know if you can solder a screw in to the screw hole under the rib the do a relay of the ribs I don't know if you could get it clean enough to just repair the part that has lift up .epoxy. Will just give you something else to cleanup when it fails .it can be repaired but it's an expensive proposition.good luck

LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you for your insight. Very much appreciated. I have talked this over with my gunsmith and the Ithaca with both barrels is on its way to be inspected and repaired. More photos when it comes back.

The real puzzle is not the screw fix but why the gun engineers/makers at Ithaca would add a locking rib extension, creating the "Lewis" model, modifying the Crass model and in doing so specifying the locking extension and sighting rib as one piece. From my reading and understanding this most likely has the rib with its extension silver soldered on to the barrel assembly, a rather weak joint, rather than brazed soldered, a much stronger joint. Hence, both barrels suffering the same failure.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Last edited by LetFly; 09/15/21 07:31 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Lewis 12 and a Lewis 16 and neither has the rib problem you show. I can only guess as to what made the rib separate on both sets of barrels. The only thing they have in common is the receiver they attach to . Maybe its a receiver problem? If those screws were down the bore a few more inches I would worry about their cutting into the barrel wall, but where they are the walls are about 150 thousandths so probably not a factor. Field grade Lewis models rarely pay for themselves except in the enjoyment of shooting. Best.

LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gun is off to my gunsmith for examination and proper repair on barrels. He thought the same as you on the frame. Both barrels are on face with proper breech and water table clearances. Me, I think they used heavy duck loads until the solder gave way and the switched barrels. I will let you know when I get it back.

Last edited by LetFly; 09/28/21 09:32 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like a weak design and a long ago repair solution. The screws look repurposed as on was engraved and the other not. A partial rib resolder might be a decent stopgap repair short of a total run relay job. Just ends up a question of cost, reward and expected life if repair. But any soft solder repair will still be a weak system like the original.

LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My 1904 Ithaca Lewis project SxS 12g two barrel set (28", 32") is now back from the gunsmith Louis Rotelli, Classic Restorations. Lou has performed a masterwork in resetting the damaged ribs on both barrels. (View earlier photos to see the extensive damage. Turkey loads?) Lou reset the lifted ribs and rib extensions and created a blind plug on each complete with engraving to blend in with rib mat cutting. These original laminate barrels are now back in service. Lou also reformed and recolored the top lever to remove the damage inflicted by some yokel gripping it with a vise grip and bending it. Sheez. Also Lou made new firing pins as spares. Next up will be to recut the checkering and refinish the wood. Stay tuned. I am looking for an orphaned original buttplate in decent condition. If you have one pm me.

32" tubes top, 28" tubes bottom

Long pins in the Lewis

Forend lugs marked P1 28", and P2 32".

Last edited by LetFly; 04/06/22 07:42 AM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.