March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Borderbill, ChiefAmungum, JDH, KDGJ, Marc Ret, 1 invisible), 366 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,989
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Shooting dove with the lock time of a flintlock would be an accomplishment all right. With three guns, two loaders, and a thousand birds, I might manage a limit. Maybe.

Caution: Hunting and fishing stories told here. Protective footgear may be required.
1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Never done so with a flinter, but I have done so with a 16 ga. percussion gun and black powder. IME, a well tuned flinter is very nearly as fast in ignition as a percussion gun. That said, I agree, Carl. It would be an accomplishment worthy of mention.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have never had either of my Flintlocks go off as fast as percussion one has a Barnett lock. Short throw the other a large siler there is always the delay of the flint scraping the frizen popping open and firing. I would hunt with a 16 ga.greeves percussion shotgun and actually got a few limits of doves.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
The nickel plated shot cost me $38.99/10# bag when I bought it. That's $3.90/lb. There are twenty-two 3/4 oz. loads in a pound (remember, mine are a bit under 3/4 oz./ea.). That's 18 cents per round for shot. Add in the primer, powder and shot cup with the numbers you want. Still a heckuva deal for what I'm getting, compared to factory .410 loads, and even some 20 and 12 ga. loads. I didn't figure in shipping because when you order flats of factory shells you pay shipping for them, too.

Far cry from "$3.00 a pop". (Exaggeration is a tool that can be used well, but the use of which requires a subtle hand.)

My comment about the use of a .410 bore, and then putting forth extra effort and expense to obviate it's shortcomings seems to have struck a nerve. That wasn't my intent, and you are certainly free to shoot whatever you wish. However, I agree with what you say about exaggeration as tool that requires a subtle hand. That's why I find it a bit disingenuous to see the subtle suggestion that the $3.00 a pop I referred to had anything at all to do wth your nickel plated shot .410 handloads.

I'm glad to hear that you are able to save money by handloading with components bought when prices were lower. I do the same thing to get more bangs for my bucks. But I was clearly referring to the use of #10 TSS loads as a logical progression to further reduce or eliminate setback damage to shot in a long shot column at higher velocities. One might be able to cleanly kill doves at 50-60 yards or more with a .410 by simply spending more money on harder denser TSS loads to overcome the smallbore handicap. It would be something like the difference between a cheap wood recurve bow and a state of the art scope sighted carbon fiber crossbow. And while it certainly is true that one must factor in shipping costs for flats of factory loads not purchased locally, to be fair, you also should similarly factor in the time involved in producing handloads and the cost of shells fired at a pattern plate during load development. But if it was all about saving money, I'd quit hunting, work some overtime, and buy meat from the grocery store.

Last edited by keith; 09/09/21 07:10 PM.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

tw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Its been a few years, but got fairly anal about patterning the 3" .410 for dove shooting with a Model 42 w/a fixed factory MOD choke. The best I found in factory loads then available were the Fiocchi's in #7.5. That's an 11/16 oz. load, as they all are. No 3" factory .410 actually holds 3/4 oz. of shot, even tho they all used to say 3/4 oz. on the box, back when. You may be able to reload and get that much shot in a 3" hull, but I never have been able to manage it and I have tried. That patterning was done before the ammunition makers were marketing specific loads for Sporting Clays use in the small bore events, so there may be some better ammunition available today. I can't speak to that. There are a number of tournament skeet shooters who use the Remington factory STS rounds in the little gun event, but that's talking ½oz. of shot within the NSSA allowable limit and those rounds were loaded very close to the upper edge, weight wise. That was before Remington closed and again, I can't speak to the new ammo, but imagine they will want to keep that former good reputation.

I don't shoot that 42 much any longer and have not had it out for dove in a number of seasons, but if there was any 'trick' to it, it was keeping the shots well inside about 30 yards and inside the low 20's was even better. Think the distance from stations one through seven on a skeet field to the hoop. That's 21 yards. By 30 yards there is too much pattern bloom with the limited number of pellets to guarantee that you can kill the bird 100% of the time, even if your gun pointing is dead on. Think drawing a driver [a fast hard going away bird]. The cross section of a morning dove's posterior is not very large.. even with its wings extended. Just saying.

Reports I'm getting is that the bird numbers are skinny in E TX and I've not spoken to anyone who has gone out W to shoot yet. Numbers of rain showers have been moving through large parts of the state and it slows and sometimes stops the birds from moving when water is plentiful.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I took the TSS "progression" comment as being a bit sarcastic. If I overreacted, or misread your intent, I apologize, truly.

I hunt birds with a .410 simply because it is a greater challenge. I have killed over ten thousand doves in my life. Killing a limit with a 12 ga. is not much of a challenge. With a 12 and the right chokes you can takes doves cleanly well out past 60 yards. With a .410 I hold back and only take shots of 35 yards or less, and ,mostly 25 or less. Occasionally I misread the distance and kill one cleanly a little farther than that. The "super .410 loads" I've come up with are to do a better job of killing cleanly at 30-35 yards, and I can indeed tell the difference between them and a WW 3/4 oz. load of unplated lead. They're NOT to help me kill doves that are out of range for my gun. I begin the season with a .410 and 3/4 oz. shot. A little later I may (or may not) go to a 28 with 3/4 oz. Later season, when the doves are more mature, tougher and warier (longer shots) I go to a 20 with 7/8 oz., and then to a 16 with 1 oz. Almost all of my cohorts shoot a jammamatic 12 with 1 1/8 oz. shot from beginning to end. I don't need anyone to endorse the way I do it, because I'm doing it for the simple reason that it's fun. The reloading is fun, too. When it gets to where it's not, I'll quit. People have given me so much shot, primers, powder and reloaders over the years that there's no way I could accurately determine what reloading costs me. But, these loads are a whole lot less than even 1/2 oz. .410 loads off the shelf, even before Covid related price increases.

tw, I loaded about two boxes this morning and checked the payload weights closely. I'm getting .73 oz. of nickel plated 8s (I misstated the shot size earlier as being 8 1/2s. The factory WW 3/4 oz. loads I used are 8 1/2s) in the 3" Cheddite, roll crimped hulls. Technically, I can't say I'm loading 3/4 oz., but it's close enough for me.

Best to you, Keith.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A week into it now, LOW Bird numbers...... Fewest in my lifetime...... certainly less than any opening week in the 33 years I have been on this ranch.
I have been taking limits but, chances are few and I have shot up to a standard that takes advantage of most reasonable chances...... But .410 or even 28ga. dove shooting are the farthest thing from my mind....I have been every day of the season so far, hoping for some migratory birds to supplement the natives. I did take one good pic from the opener, I will try to get it posted in the seasonal photo thread. Good luck, and good shooting to all

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the report, Paul. And, sorry for the low numbers y'all have this year. As you mentioned, maybe the migratory birds will help fill the void. Migratory birds challenging, and loads of fun..... a world apart from our early native birds.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Who needs to worry about a few bucks when you got a big Covid relief farm loan......just saying.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not a dove shooter up Nawth- we'll see free Jack Daniel's in the taverns up here before we get a legal dove season- But I with your comments about the differences between early local birds and the later migrants. I see the same scenario with waterfowl, mostly ducks. Right now in MI we have the bonus Goose season, but also a early teal season. By October, when mallards are legal, the teal are gone down your way-some woodies hang on until Nov. Since steel shot was mandated, I only shoot green heads and geese. I use full choked M12's mainly, no sense blowing up a small bird like a teal or a woodie with the loads needed to drop a bigger sized bird. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.