March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jimmy W, Marc Ret, 1 invisible), 348 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,001
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#602499 09/08/21 12:32 PM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

New member here. I own numerous double barrel shotguns and consider myself somewhat knowledgeable but found myself stumped. I found a gun case at my Dad's house who passed away several years ago. In it was an engraved Colt 1878 double and a James Ashton & Son double. The latter is highly engraved with an English style straight stock. I can't find any information on this and from looking it over briefly last night I didn't even see a serial number off hand to include under the barrels. Any help in just identifying it is appreciated.
Not sure how to post pictures.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Most everything you’ll want to know about the Ashton & Son double will be told on the barrel & action flats. The proof marks will give an indication on where and when the gun was produced. The other stuff like where the maker was from, if they were an actual maker of guns or retailer, etc will be a little more difficult to pin down. I’m sure someone will be along shortly with some information on the makers.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Looking over it more tonight the barrels are marked James Ashton & Sons Huntingdon. On the receiver flat is a GB with crown proof,
a V with Crown, P with crown, 13 on one side, and 12B and 14M along with NOT FOR BALL.
Has absolutely beautiful engraving on it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Those proof marks are indicative of the dates of proof of 1875 until 1887. I suspect that James Ashton & Sons, Huntingdon were what the British call iron mongers (here we would say hardware store owners) and the gun was purchased by them from a Birmingham gunmakers who directed that the James Ashton name be engraved upon the gun in the actual gunmakers instructions to the engraver (common practice in the gun trade). Nigel Brown in his Vol 2 book page 159 references a gun tradesman Thomas James Ashton in Whittal street, Birmingham in the 1870's; but it appears that this Thomas James Ashton did not make complete guns.

Both Authors, Boothroyd and Brown in their books record a firm of Ashton & Brown in York Street, Birmingham circa 1870 as gunmakers---this firm does not seem connected to your gun.

Maybe someone here has a directory of iron mongers of the time frame and can comment on whether James Ashton & Sons were such a firm.

Last edited by bushveld; 09/08/21 07:05 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a quick search and find that there is still an Ashton & Sons listed as builders at St. Ives near Huntingdon. Maybe a family connection from a bit back as I suspect like bushveld that it will be a 'Hardwear Shop' type gun. Nothing wrong in that as it was quite common practice for rural hardwear shops to advertise guns with their names on that were made in the Birmingham trade and that makes them a devil of a job to research. St. Ives is very close by and hardwear trade to building trade is not such a giant leap. Another useful source for information of this kind and one that I have often used is the local museums. Huntingdon has one but called the Cromwell Museum because of Oliver Cromwell's association with the town but they will cover most general stuff and have street directories from way back that should provide a clue. I have always found them most obliging. Try https://www.cromwellmuseum.org/ Good luck. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

H, Blackmore in his book Gunmakers of London records the Ashton fanily of gunmakers active1628- -1858. Blackmore also states that this family also used the name Asheton & ASton.The Aston Name suggests a Birmingham connection .Could this be an example of a Birmingham maker resurecting an old family name?

Last edited by Roy Hebbes; 09/15/21 02:27 PM. Reason: typo

Roy Hebbes

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.