March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Lloyd3, SKB, Argo44, 3 invisible), 375 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,003
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fox,
I remember the trial season we had up here years ago, and often lament it's passing. if only we could enjoy the dove season as others do in their states.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bird numbers are improving here locally. I saw a good number of birds trading into a shredded sunflower field yesterday late. I made it a point to be in place this morning to give them a try. Flight was good and steady, I felt that my shooting was below par, but took a limit in the first half hour after sunup. Left with 70- 90 birds still working the field. I'll see if this influx is distributed around the ranch in other fields. We may have turned the corner for the better, certainly hope so.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Run With The Fox
Not a dove shooter up Nawth- we'll see free Jack Daniel's in the taverns up here before we get a legal dove season- But I with your comments about the differences between early local birds and the later migrants. I see the same scenario with waterfowl, mostly ducks. Right now in MI we have the bonus Goose season, but also a early teal season. By October, when mallards are legal, the teal are gone down your way-some woodies hang on until Nov. Since steel shot was mandated, I only shoot green heads and geese. I use full choked M12's mainly, no sense blowing up a small bird like a teal or a woodie with the loads needed to drop a bigger sized bird. RWTF

And we can thank the Federal refuges for it all....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Birds are here in GOOD numbers, all returned to normal..... I'll be in the field in the morning , as I was today.... quick limits expected..... Hell, another week of this bounty and I will break out the .410 O/U , just to say I did shoot a limit with the small bore....BUT, I doubt I can match Stan's birds to shell ratio.....
Good shooting to all...... The BEST part of the Year Begins NOW, enjoy it while we can....times are changing, for the worst , I fear......

Last edited by mel5141; 09/13/21 10:14 PM. Reason: punctuation
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good to hear, Paul. Still lots of birds around here, too. But, they're in selected places.

I'm done with my .410s for awhile. Not for any reason except shell shortage. I'm completely out of the 3/4 oz. WW loads. I loaded up 99 of the nickel plated 8s, in 3/4 oz. loads for them (could load more but ran out of Cheddite 3" hulls), but am saving them for later. I'm going to my 30" barreled 28 ga. FAIR Verona O/U now, for awhile. I've got several flats of AA loads for it, and I'm going to burn up a few boxes of them on some dove shoots. I'd rather keep shooting my S X Ss, but it's just a matter of shell availability for me right now. I probably shoot my 30" barreled 20 ga. 687 SP II better on doves than anything I've got, but just don't have many shells for it right now, either.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not to drag this thread out, but just a Texas update. My fields are continuing to hold good numbers of birds. Plenty for me, but I don't think numbers would hold up to a large gunning party for long.
Had my best ( shooting performance ) outing of the season yesterday afternoon. Birds traded into the field at a nice pace and I was in and out of the field with my allotted 15 shot and picked up in less than 25 minutes. 20 bore with "considerable" choke in it, firing my favorite dove shell AA208,which is the Winchester AA 7/8 oz. #8 1200fps target load.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You can't improve on a 15 shot/15 dove average, Paul (unless there's a two-for-one thrown in). Well done. I agree about the efficacy of that load. I will be using it's "stablemate" in the 28 this Saturday afternoon, 3/4 oz. of 8s, WW AAs. Doubt very seriously I'll match your shooting with the 20, however.

Take some pics for us, bro'.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think Paul meant he got his 15 bird limit without mentioning shells fired, Stan. But, I could be wrong.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by John Roberts
I think Paul meant he got his 15 bird limit without mentioning shells fired, Stan. But, I could be wrong.
JR

After rereading it I think you're right, John. My mind put an "s" on the end of "shot", and assumed he limited himself to 15 shells. Thanks for the correction.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I re read that line , and I probably should have said " my allotted 15 WERE shot and picked up..........
Truth is that I took them with 17 shells. One I shot a bit short, and I used a LONG second barrel on another. All in all, a very nice outing.
I hope the 28 pays handsome dividends today Stan.

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.