March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (NCTarheel, Marc Ret, Lloyd3, Ted Schefelbein, 2 invisible), 338 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,003
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Lloyd3 Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

It's never been all that appealing to me because of some "perceived" flaws (like I knew anything?) and I'm embarrassed to say that I'd never actually done it before. Went to a range yesterday with a past president of the Colorado Skeet Association and had myself a fairly thorough lesson and...I came away with a new appreciation of the game. I'm still a bigger fan of sporting clays (because of all the great exercise and gunning practice that gives for actual hunting), but for crossing shots and the quick response on doubles...I can see where it should be a useful and helpful exercise.

The standard criticism of the sport I'd always heard from mostly ne'er-do-wells (such as myself in my rugged youth) was that it was a "grooved game" shot by soft old men that didn't translate-well to actual hunting conditions. This of-course from people who didn't have two nickels to rub together, who shot seriously junky guns, and who hunted more out of sheer-desperation than for any actual form of sport. Ignorance is a funny thing, and on many fronts I've clearly suffered long from it's tendrils (the gift of growing up in crap-poor Appalachia). FWIW....actual skeet ranges were few and far-between in the land of my youth (because so-few could actually afford to participate) so it was pretty easy to miss-out on it there. Also, to be fair, skeet is hardly thriving out here either. The denizens of the range we went to yesterday were some seriously crusty old fellows. If I had to guess, I'd say that they were mostly there to hang out and socialize (& to escape their spouses wrath) more than they were there to shoot. I know I'm clearly not seeing it in it's prime (which was what...back in the 50s?) so I'd hate to speculate further. But....I'll shoot it again, no question.

Oh, and also....a Model 12 Winchester 20-gauge would be perfect for this game. Found myself wishing I'd had one handy. My 10lb clays gun worked fine but...I'd bet a lighter gun (with really light loads) would be ideal, and...I bet it would be darn fun.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 09/04/21 03:09 PM.
2 members like this: Hal M Hare, DAM16SXS
Sidelock
Sidelock

I feel my old SxSs are a bit more perfect than a Model 12, even my 870, but that's JMHO. A 10 # gun would be a bit heavy for skeet. All eight of my Remington doubles are 7 to 8# guns and work quite nicely. I think you'll fine even a lighter clays gun would work a bit better. A couple of us shoot with the gun under the shoulder when calling for the bird. When hunting I don't walk around with the gun up and mounted, so why shoot the clay games that way ? I've shot a number of 25s at skeet that way. Not a lot, but at 75 years young I ain't gonna win no major shoots. Just do it for fun.

1 member likes this: Hal M Hare
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd be in favor of returning the game to its roots with the dropped gun. A decade of shooting a nine and a half pound tubed Remington Model 3200 finally drove me from the NSSA registered skeet game. I can't say I ever shot a better score with the 3200 tube set than I had with my Model 12/42s, but I was much more consistent.

I think it would be a better game with the low gun and weight restrictions for each gauge, such as 7 pounds for a 20-gauge, 6 1/2 for a 28-gauge and 6 1/4 for a .410-bore. I like the call delay of International Skeet, but the speed of those birds is beyond anything in nature.

2 members like this: Hal M Hare, DAM16SXS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Every shot I take in the field, can be practiced on a skeet field. The only exception is a shot replicating a Chukar flushing downhill. I’ve never in my life shot a “springing teal”, a chandelle, or a 60 yard crosser or a 60 yard dropping target or a rabbit that hops 3 feet in the air in an actual field situation. Can’t argue that they are pretty fun to shoot though, they just don’t replicate any hunting shots I’ve ever taken.

I shoot skeet lowgun, always. I don’t shoot skeet competitively. Strictly as a way to keep my shooting skills somewhat sharp in preparation for hunting. I use the same guns for skeet that I do in the field. Yep, that means guns from 1880’s to modern auto loaders. They all get time on the skeet range.

Now for Trap. I don’t shoot trap, it just bores me to death. I don’t usually like the guys much who spend all their time on the trap line either, too essentric, too serious and all their pieces of flair irritate me :-)

3 members like this: 12boreman, Ted Schefelbein, Hammergun
Sidelock
Sidelock

As we get older, we get stiffer.
More difficult to twist.
Skeet helps the gun to continue to rotate. It keeps the waist/hips turnable.

Low gun keeps the eye hand movement /mount coordination/ footwork, sharp.

And lastly, it perpetuates sight pictures quite similar to flying game.

In a concise package.

It really is a brilliant training game for a wing shot.

When I am grooving low6, I am ready for season.

Out there doing it best I can.
1 member likes this: Hal M Hare
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Hey, good on you, Lloyd. Shooting clay birds is still shooting, after all, and not doing a stack of honey-dos on a glorious weekend day.

I shot on a company sponsored trap league for 16 years, but, we were likely hated by the hard cores, as we were more like a beer drinking league with a trap shooting problem. Best bunch of guys ever, a few really good shooters and the rest of us. Race to the range on Tuesday night, shoot two quick rounds, put the guns away, sit in the parking lot and drink beer and tell lies until dark.

I was single until I was 43.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's true there are sporting clays presentations that do not mimic anything any gamebirds would/can do. But, a shooter that can master chondelles, springing teal, and erratic rabbit targets can better handle unexpected things gamebirds do. Those who have spent a lifetime shooting doves , and woodcock for that matter, understand erratic flight ......woodies in the flooded timber, too. And, I've yet to meet the shooter that is good on 50 yard crossers that isn't better than most on shorter shots. Learning the long game only makes you better on the short game.

As for skeet being a great practice venue for field shooting, I agree, up to a point. But, anyone who shoots gamebirds at the range you shoot high and low station 8 doesn't care about meat damage. IMO a person who limits himself strictly to skeet as a means to practice field shooting is going to be very handicapped when presented with shots from 30 to 50 yards. Again IMO, learning to kill targets at extreme ranges, and getting better at targets exhibiting erratic behaviour, will serve you well in the field.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Skeet is fun, and good practice. So is wobble trap, and it even replicates the flushing downhill shot if it includes a tower for the shooter.

The State conversation dept has a skeet field about 25 miles from my home. You pull targets for one another, and it is fun to delay the pulls to make each other miss. Our scores would not qualify for the Skeet Review, but we have fun. And improve our shooting, probably.

Caution: Hunting and fishing stories told here. Protective footgear may be required.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I started shooting skeet overseas so it was International style, fell in love with the game but was hard to find a range that shot it. Luckily the range in Tacoma WA had an Ex Olympic shooter there and they would leave one field set up or would set up a field for you. They held the state shoot there( Int. Style) we even got to shoot with the Aussy team as they came down to our shoot to practice as they were shooting in a match up in Vancouver, BC.

I started shooting bar league trap back in southern WI in high school. Each little town had a sportsmens club, or some fraternal club that had a trap range or two out back. The local businesses would sponsor five man teams, there are a lot of bars in that country and I think everyone of them sponsored a team. Well we would shot one night in a town and the next night in another, there were times I was shooting five nights a week and meat shoots on Sunday. Worked in a gas station and got free shell from some of the sponsors. I actually wore out a High Standard 16ga pump at the end of it's life if you pointed it up the breach block would fall far enough away from the shell that it would miss fire alot, always had to point it down before bringing it to my shoulder.

After the service I moved to Detroit Lakes MN and my wife, her dad, mom and I shot trap there in a league and skeet down the road at Fort Thunder. Another guy and I offered to donate and build a skeet field for the DL club but the trap shooters there didn't even want a skeet field on the same grounds.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Lloyd3 Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

"Now for Trap. I don’t shoot trap, it just bores me to death. I don’t usually like the guys much who spend all their time on the trap line either, too essentric, too serious and all their pieces of flair irritate me :-)" Almost lost my drink out my nose when I read that!

We shot three rounds of skeet and finished with one of trap. Had to wait on some old codger on the trap line with so-much flair on that he could barely move. He even had a magnetic gun rest that attached to the muzzle of his gun (that he used between every shot by stabbing it with his barrel). Painful to watch.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.