March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Ian Forrester, Ted Schefelbein, LeFusil, smlekid), 858 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#602089 08/31/21 03:12 PM
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well....it's almost zero hour here and I don't have anyplace to go for the opener. I see online that several ranches east of me here are charging money for the privilege (~$100 per gun). If I was otherwise engaged I wouldn't much care but I'm at loose ends tomorrow. My other option is to go fishing or chase blue grouse but....Colorado has gotten so-darn full of new residents, all my old spots have largely been over-run. Nothing convenient anymore I fear. What should I expect if I pony up my money and go take my chances?

Sidelock
Sidelock

$100 is not out of line at all, for a dove shoot. Just keep in mind it may turn out to be a bust, or ....... could be a barn burner. No guarantees. Would be helpful if you could scout it before ponying up, but that's likely not to be a possibility.

I've never had to pay, personally. Been to Argentina a couple times on vacation. Shot doves mornings and afternoons while there, nice accommodations, great meals and evening entertainment. But no, never paid to shoot doves.

Spent tens of thousands over the last 40 years planting dove fields, but never paid to shoot them.

Bought out of state licenses for doves, but never paid to shoot them.

Can't imagine anybody doing that ............ grin

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have, several times. Call ahead and get details.
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 08/31/21 03:48 PM.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes I have several times. Most time it includes a lunch. Problem is most times the good spots are saved for friends or members.
All my dove spots are planted in soy beans and will not be cut till November here. But for some reason doves do not like soy beans.

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pay shooting is just recently making its way south to my part of GA. No problem with it except as stated above the good stands are all allotted on the buddy system. $100 is about right. Be one of the insiders...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Up here in Illinois I still have a couple of places I could go. About the Best is a melon farm on the banks of the Mississippi, but I hardly get out hunting anymore.
I am retired, have the time, a Great wife who would never, never ever tell me "no". I have the guns, the ammunition, and my third Brittany - first pick of the litter from his father who was first pick of the litter of my first Brittany. Each of them very different from each other, but each was like the third bowl of porridge to me.
Prior to retiring, I purchased enough of the things I'd need to have a retirement full of fishing, shooting and dove and upland hunting. I planned.
What I didn't know is that most all of my shooting and/or hunting partners would develop bad backs, bad knees, move away, or pass away.
To go dove shooting these days for me, is to go alone. If I go up to South Dakota this year it will be just my dog & I and, well, I just might not go.
Not sour grapes - I have a head-full of fine, fond memories beginning with early mornings out with my Dad. But my legs aren't as strong; I'm not as sure of myself and,
I now realize how much of the enjoyment came from going out with a good buddy or two.
All you who are going out this season, punch a hold in the sky for me & tell that dove that was from me.

2 members like this: Dan S. W., Geo. Newbern
Sidelock
Sidelock

I will do that indeed, Bob Rowley. The first dove I kill Saturday afternoon, Lord willing, will be for you.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr. Rowley, I am sure that the message in your post above touched all of your friends here who are getting on in age. I'm only 73 but lots of my old hunting buddies have gone the way you described your own buddies. I don't know when the time comes to lay it down and start parceling out your sporting treasures. Not yet in my case, but I can see it over the next few hills.

Not wanting to quit is certainly a sign to me that neither of us is quite ready to do it. I don't want to hunt alone, but I'm lucky to have three sons in town who will put up with me, and more importantly come when I call if I fall and can't get up or on a better note to pull a deer out of the woods for me. I pulled enough of theirs to earn it.

I have also been blessed with some younger hunting friends to hunt with. I recommend that highly. Oddly enough many young guys think old guys know a lot more than we actually do. Try not to do anything to dispel that notion...Geo

1 member likes this: MattH
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bob, I can understand why missing your friends has changed your outlook, and your drive to hunt. But, for me it is a bit different. Not better, or superior, but different. I love shooting doves so much that I have often, and will many times in the future (hopefully), shoot doves all by myself. I have spoken with others via these forums that do the same. It's different, but it's great in a different way. No one is in my way, there is no need not to shoot at a low bird. There is a challenge there, to decoy doves to one specific location in the middle of a huge field. It's more a game of wits than when there's other guys helping.

I wish you all the best in whatever your future is, but, I urge you to not give in to sentimentality, but to figure ways to enjoy the fields and streams with the less than 100% mobility you may have. I wish I could help in person, but possibly the only help I can give is to remind you of Churchill's commencement address when he said to the graduating class "Never give up. Never, never, never, never give up".

Best to you, Bob. First dove Saturday is for you.

1 member likes this: John Roberts
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Geo. Newbern
Oddly enough many young guys think old guys know a lot more than we actually do. Try not to do anything to dispel that notion...Geo

How true, and good advice. wink

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.