May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (MattH, Jtplumb, Birdog, Argo44, 1 invisible), 232 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,537
Posts546,028
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

I own the Filson Waterfowl coat in camo, I didn't think there were two versions available. In any event, I own a number of Filson clothes and they are just about industructable.
The Waterfowl coat came with a zipper and snaps. As such with the coat opem shooting doves last year the zipper/snaps scratched my gun. Sent the coat back to Filson and the zipper and snaps were all replaced with buttons, no charge.
Two things have happened recently at Filson, one I don't think the present designers are hunters and the company has been sold to a holding company.-Dick

Sidelock
Sidelock

You can always take it to a Laundromat...they don't mind if you screw up their multi-thousand dollar machine.

Originally Posted By: Chuck H
Bill,
It'll go in the wash tonight. I think hot water and Dawn dishsoap should cut the oil/wax.

Should work. I got a terrific closeout buy on a Filson Shelter Cloth hunting jacket a few years ago. Like all Filson products, it was overbuilt, stiff, heavy and trapped sweat inside - but I knew that (having already learned the hard way), and the price was too good to resist. So I washed the jacket in hot water and detergent.

I think washing it got rid of 5 pounds of wax and gunk, turning it into a breathable, wearable, practical field jacket for late season grouse hunting.
Of course, it lost all its waterproofing - but I've become a fairweather hunter in my old age, anyway!

I still use a Filson game bag, but got rid of most of the Filson stuff I've had over the years. Jackets, vests, hats - they never wore out, because I learned not to wear them. Too @#$%! heavy for field use, IMHO.

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice looking dog you have.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've had my oiled Tin Cloth for about ten years ..... It took a year or two to conform to my body. It was never waterproof in a downpour but no matter what I do to it, or where it goes it takes a lick'en and keeps on tick'en..... At the end of the season I wipe off the mud, roll it up and dump it on the back shelf. ( If you hang them in a warm place all the oil will migrate to the bottom.) Mine is fit a bit roomy so I can wear it with a wool vest and a turtle neck, whch for me is fine for active days above 30 F. Colder than that I switch to my 20 year old Barbour Northumbria .... it's wool lined and is large enough for quilt lining. Both coats have a lot of pockets and a game pocket .

Al

Last edited by Bouvier; 10/08/07 04:41 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

They have been known to walk around in the night.

(nothing inside the coat, just it's own stiffness in a house in the 70+F range.)

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a double tin coat for many years which allegedly was a "Long", but it in fact was 3-4" shorter in the body that my wool Filson Coat. I inquired "why" to Filson, they said "Send it back ,and we'll have a look" (Remember this coat was at least a dozen years old) They looked at my coat, said "Wow, that's old, must have shrunk up over time" and sent me a new coat. Hooray for Filson, I didn't ask for a coat, just wanted to understand why they sized different coats differently.

Point of the story is that, if the cotton coats are subject to shrinkage, be careful about washing it

Not just washing shrinks Tin Cloth - the sleeves on my old TC Filson started out with cuffs down to my knuckles, and six seasons later were halfway to my elbows! The only water that ever touched that jacket came from heaven. Luckily my partner was a shrimp, so he had it for another 6 years until it was spray-washed by a skunk. That scent was tougher than Tin Cloth, and the jacket went to the local landfill.

PS for HoJo - Kerry the springer says "thanks for the compliment!"

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

I recently bought the "Pro Guide Vest" a real heavy duty strap bird vest. I think I will outlive that one (as well as all my other bird vests) but I had to try a vest that has form fitted water bottle pockets right up front now that we have learned to carry bottles for the pups rather than just carrying jugs in the truck. This vest is expensive but it is a piece of work with two layers of quick release buckles and gosh knows what else. Big double patch pockets in front with heavy flaps and rear and front access game pockets. I have worn mine twice so it's time to go shopping again!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Actually my most used pieceof Filson gear is their hunting bibs. Mine are shelter cloth with tin cloth reinforcment panels at the high wear areas.

I have one of their old safari shirts for sale if anyone is interested. Short sleeve kahki, cartridge pockets, right side shotting pad and working epaulets, the real deal. It's from the early 1990's, new with tags, size 38.

I wish I was still a size 38.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.