March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 298 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I do have surgical tube and will plan on gluing up and using the frame, side-plates and trigger plate (all stripped) to help me keep things in good shape. I hope to do this this weekend and will report back progress,

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The stock is glued up and now I am just waiting for the solid cure time. By Mid-day tomorrow I am guessing. I kept the balance in the cup so I can see how that hardens for idea when ready to loose the bands.

A couple observations on the G-flex:

I mixed it up in a cup and was able to easily pour it into a disposable syringe.

It was liquid enough to pour. and inject with the syringe but once it was laid down on a mating surface it did not migrate too far. Consistency is between acra-glass and acra-gel.

It gave me plenty of time to insert the frame, trigger plate and both side plates.

Any excess on gun and/or hands cleaned up real nice with some acetone.

So far I like it. it takes a full day to cure so not a fast product but certainly one that gives you time to get it all together calmly.

If all works well then I am going glass bed it and then be ready to make some smoke.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I pulled the surgical tubing today and overall I would say a great success. It was pretty knarly break but it feels real solid and after finish one side will nit be visible at all and the other side just barely. You could see 100 squish out (barley though) and epoxy is hard enough that you cannot dent it with a fingernail but it has just a bit of flex that it should absord any future stresses.

I absolutely would recommend G flex epoxy.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

The thing I found interesting about G flex is how far the product will bend but not break. I left some to dry on a tongue depressor and was shocked how far I could bend it and not a single crack developed.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

yes I kept what was left in the cup and it made a very hard but flexible disc. Thx for hook up.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Damascus, Ernie ,
What epoxy do you personally use here in the UK?
I have used Titebond 2 and Pratley , but always interested in what others use .
When I was in F1 I used a two pack that we used for gluing carbon fibre together from a company in Cambridge . It was a brilliant adhesive and I believe a stock that I repaired in 1985 is still going strong .

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Salopian as far as Epoxy Adhesives are concerned I only use the ones that I know are stable and have a long life in service, standing the test of time. I have always used "Araldite Standard" this being a slow set type having about 60 to 80 minuets open time so long enough to get things set up right especially gun stocks, for a fast set version I do use "Araldite Crystal Clear" it works well and it is clear. I can remember when the Araldite brand hit the market in the early 1960s and it is still in the top number of Epoxy Adhesives used. For normal wood working I prefer to use "Cascamite" powder Epoxy adhesive don't hold much store in those PVA potions fine in the dry but lacking in the damp.
As you see Salopian I am rather old school when it comes to Adhesives.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
West Marine epoxy products are first class.

I believe Stan is referring to West Systems epoxies, West Marine is a retailer that caters to boaters.

Having said that, West Marine carries West System products.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Damascus, I agree that Araldite does take some beating . Western Resins stock a lot of epoxies including GFlex so we can experiment if need be . Are we the only two left using Cascomite?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Recoil Rob
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
West Marine epoxy products are first class.

I believe Stan is referring to West Systems epoxies, West Marine is a retailer that caters to boaters.

Having said that, West Marine carries West System products.

You are quite right, Rob. thank you for the correction. There may be other retailers than sell West Systems epoxy. I got the similar names confused. I ordered the West Systems from West Marine.

Thanks again!

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.