March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Ian Forrester, jake van dyke, Marc Ret, MattH, 2 invisible), 827 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Having a small gathering here tomorrow night. Serving a mix of gamebirds and even some elk steak. The birds are all long-term residents of somebody's freezer (a mix of Bobs and Blues). Because of the long-term freezer effects we're brining the birds extra-long and avoiding any recipes that would further mask the flavor of the meat. Some of the birds had already been parceled into bacon wrapped treats, but I threw them into the brine as well (so we'll see how all that goes?). Any suggestions for the grilling process here? Butter, salt and pepper is what I'm planning on, perhaps spatchcocking or some other simple marinade that might be appropriate?

Sidelock
Sidelock

my aunt ruby used to bread um, fry um like checken, and then stew um in brown gravy till the meat fallin off the bones...um, um, um...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

I always spatchcock them dry them completely and then I brush on any number of those marinades they sell these days.

A favorite is the one with mango in it and a little bit of spice

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

A few months ago, friends made a cacciatore style dish with I think they were Huns, because of a similar freezer worry. It doesn't help with the meat save and grilling you want to do, but was an unexpected treat.

crs Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Reminds me of a gathering of Australian big game hunters at my house in East Texas a few years ago. A local hunter brought Alligator and another provided Bobwhite quail as appetizers. One Aussie liked grilling and took over for me. When the quail showed up, he was ecstatic and went on how it had been years since he tasted quail. Made the trip worthwhile, he said! Needless to say, he had his fair share. The main course was well marinated backstrap and brisket of water buff - smoked whole and then sliced! . Very little left over that night.

NRA Patron, TSRA, Whittington Center, DWWC,DRSS
Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
crs Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Reminds me of a gathering of Australian big game hunters at my house in East Texas a few years ago. A local hunter brought Alligator and another provided Bobwhite quail as appetizers. One Aussie liked grilling and took over for me. When the quail showed up, he was ecstatic and went on how it had been years since he tasted quail. Made the trip worthwhile, he said! Needless to say, he had his fair share. The main course was well marinated backstrap and brisket of water buff - smoked whole and then sliced! . Very little left over that night.

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Going with "Simple grilled quail" on the All Recipes webpage. Paprika, parsely flakes, olive oil, garlic salt, black pepper, & kosher salt make up this simple marinade. Grilled whole birds, 8-minutes per side over medium heat. Served with a chilled Savignon Blanc, west-slope peach caprese, wild rice w/morels, grilled califlower, and GF French bread cristini (using our own home-grown cherry tomatoes and basil). I'm also grilling some elk and mule deer backstrap, which we serve with blue-cheese sauce and/or a homemade cranberry/ horseradish sauce accompaniment. Fresh berry tart for dessert (& a good big red wine for the venison eaters). Hope this works...

Last edited by Lloyd3; 08/21/21 06:08 PM.
crs Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd3,
Sounds good, but complicated and the reason my wife and daughter do the food prep here. They do let me kill the game they cook.

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

After action report here. A wildly successful evening it would seem. The quail turned out very nicely. I suppose I could have pulled them a bit earlier but....they were still quite good. Nothing but compliments from all of our guests (& several were southern folks that know their quail). I'm a ruffed grouse guy and I thought the birds were very tasty. Better than ruffed grouse.....maybe not, but darn close. At least I now understand the appeal. Also, there were no complaints about the venison either. No leftovers there.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 08/22/21 07:28 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd,
Having eaten your cooking, there was never a doubt in my mind.

Sounds wonderful.

Best,
Ted

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.