March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (SKB, Jeremy Pearce, Dave K, Borderbill, battle), 777 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am working on a small center fire Martini action that I want to barrel/chamber for the 218 Bee. I was just reading through an old NRA publication "The NRA Gunsmithing Guide - Updated" that has an article written by Frank De Haas titled "Converting the 310 Martini". In the article De Haas says the main work needed on the action is to bush the firing pin to then allow for a smaller diameter firing pin. He says if the original is not suitably bushed the usual result when firing the 22 Hornet, 218 Bee or 357 Magnum is that the primer flows back in to the firing pin hole and binds up the breechblock.

De Haas recommends drilling out the firing pin hole and installing a 6 x 48 threaded bushing. Then drilling the bushing out to either 1/16" or 5/64". Then turn down the firing pin to fit.

In other articles and discussions I've seen over the years I don't recall anyone else bringing up the need to bush the firing pin.

I would appreciate if anyone can anyone offer experience with either bushing the small Martini or not bushing it?

Gary Erickson

Sidelock
Sidelock

forester,
All of them don't have to be bushed, but most of them do. Some put the bushing from the front, others drill and tap from the rear with a"bushed" drill and tap( but turn the firing pin bushing in from the front). Both methods have advantages.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

I’ve owned more than half a dozen of these in various chamberings, including .20 Mashburn Bee, .22 Hornet, .218 Bee, .218 Mashburn Bee, .219 Zipper, .256 Winchester and .357 Magnum. The three of those which weren’t bushed when I bought them all needed bushing and got a trip to the gunsmith for same. Perhaps some original Cadet actions don’t require bushing the firing pin, but I’ve never owned one other than an original .310 Cadet which did not.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My .22 Hornet Cadet required bushing. Used the cross dovetail method and seems to work well.
Chuck

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I asked this question about the need to bush the Martini firing pin after reading about others that have done it. It was also in anticipation of taking the action to the Single Shot rifle gunsmithing class held at Grinnell, Iowa. I wanted to be ready to do the work in class if needed. But based on what I learned from Glenn Fewless in class and carefully measuring the action firing pin hole and the firing pin I am not going to bush the firing pin hole. I am going to shorten the firing pin protrusion though.

There was only about .002" - .003" difference between the diameter of the firing pin and the firing pin hole. But the firing pin had over .090" protrusion. Based on Glenn's knowledge and experience the tolerance in diameter was pretty good but the firing pin was way too long. I am in the process of shortening the firing pin down to about .040" - ,045" of protrusion and going to radius the tip of the pin. Might be next spring before I have the rifle complete and fire it to know if this worked or not. But I anticipate that this will be a good solution.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gary;

What is the diameter of the firing pin hole and the firing pin fitting through the hole ?

Kindest Regards;
Stephen Howell

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The firing pin is .090+" in diameter and the firing pin hole is .093" using both a pin gauge and an accurate inside mic.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.