March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Ted Schefelbein, GSPWillie, Tim in PA, steve voss), 805 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
rtw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very cool!

Sidelock
Sidelock

OK Tom...I'm sure you've been waiting for this. ( What's a Henway ? )

1 member likes this: Tom Findrick
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Austin Hawthorne
OK Tom...I'm sure you've been waiting for this. ( What's a Henway ? )

About 2 pounds, minus feathers.

Ba dum bum

I’m here all week; try the veal.

“When faith is lost, when honor dies, the man is dead” - John Greenleaf Whittier
SXS 40 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The balance tool in use. W W Greener with damascus barrels, balance slightly ahead of the pin.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

HWK
SXS 40 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Army & Navy sidelock less so.............
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

HWK
SXS 40 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Henry Atkin push forward underlever action is right on the pin.......
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]upload pictures online

HWK
Sidelock
Sidelock

There is nothing "magic" about having the balance (center of gravity/CG) at or near the hinge pin. Relating/referencing the CG to the (front) trigger does make sense as the trigger must be pulled to fire the gun. Therefore, one hand must be located so as to allow finger contact with the trigger. Normal guns are stocked so that the trigger hand is to the rear and the other hand is placed to the front. The location of the hands relative to the CG determines the % of the gun's weight held by each hand. Said % is a personal preference. I have measured guns with up to 1 7/8" difference in length between the hinge pin and the trigger. Ergo, referencing CG to the hinge pin is not a useful piece of data.

That is one snazzy balance fulcrum; material, design, and workmanship clearly place it among best work tools.

How does one use balance information? Find a gun that suits you - you feel no urge to relocate your front hand from where you initially placed it ( your natural hand spread). Balance the gun over a fulcrum/pencil/finger (extended finger is only slightly less accurate than a actual fulcrum) and measure distance to trigger. And that length is your preferred balance location. It doesn't mean that is the only dimension you can shoot. But, just like stock fit dimensions, the further you stray from that dimension the more difficult it will be for you to shoot well or enjoyably.

BTW, those are some nice shootin' irons. Also, the use of furniture shipping pads as backdrops was down right clever; my compliments.

Last edited by Rocketman; 08/08/21 11:48 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I like that Greener.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Betcha that Greener came from the Scott factory. Very nice! And amen to what Rocketman said the hinge pin balance is totally irrelevant to finding the balance point. For instance, there is a huge difference between location of hinge pins between a Parker and a Birmingham boxlock but meaurkng from the front trigger on both gives more of an “apples to apples” comparison.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Joe Wood
Betcha that Greener came from the Scott factory. Very nice!

I have only seen Scott made crystal indicator guns.

I cannot ever recall seeing a Greener retailed gun made by another either.

Interesting....

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.