March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hammergun, welder, canvasback, Lloyd3, SKB, Owenjj3), 795 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fox you read too much hOrse chit...

Sidelock
Sidelock

If I were a skeet shooter I would load9s a dedicated trapshooter 7 1/2s. Since I prefer sporting clays I like 7/8 or 1 ounce 8s works for all clay games and dog training over pen raised birds and also good for the few wild quail / dove and woodcock here in tidewater Va. when I travel to hunt Grouse I use 6s and Phesant#5.

Last edited by GMCS; 08/05/21 08:34 AM. Reason: add
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have called and shot crows for over thirty years in pecan orchards and edges of peanut fields. At the ranges we shoot crows 9s would be totally unsuitable. Having used everything from 4s to 8s I have settled on 6s as my favorite shot size for them. Fours work really well, too.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I get them in very close- tree top high- I used a Johnny Stewart cassette game caller (also for 'yotes in Winter- and we take a dead crow and wire his leg to that off a fluttering cripple, and fling it airborne and let it hang in the tree limbs- use the hawk and crow fight recording-and we take the 3 shot plugs out of our M12's-- bring lotsa shells-RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Run With The Fox
I get them in very close- tree top high- I used a Johnny Stewart cassette game caller (also for 'yotes in Winter- and we take a dead crow and wire his leg to that off a fluttering cripple, and fling it airborne and let it hang in the tree limbs- use the hawk and crow fight recording-and we take the 3 shot plugs out of our M12's-- bring lotsa shells-RWTF

Holy crap... you'd better delete this post ASAP. I can just see the guy who ratted out Hrenegade to the Michigan DNR several years ago for (legally) shooting bats now turning you in to the Humane Society and PETA.

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forum...amp;Main=5494&Number=56078#Post56078

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I ran calculations of 7/8 oz. #8 and #9 chilled lead at 1100 fps in KPY shotshell ballistics program to determine distance required for 1.5" penetration into ballistic gel.
#8 at 29.3 yards penetrated the gel 1.5" at a final velocity of 767 fps.
#9 at 10 yards penetrated the gel 1.5" at a final velocity of 863 fps.

At 29.3 yards, #9 penetrated .88" with a final velocity of 610 fps.
In all three calculations, the non lead shot ejecta was the same. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not trying to win a debate here, just proffering a somewhat widely held opinion and an anecdote.

Years ago I was dove shooting with a friend who used a SxS and 9 shot chill.
While walking out of the field, a great big cock Pheasant flushed at about 20 yards. It startled both of us as
we were in serious conversation about all the shots on dove we both made and missed. Though he shouldn't have and probably out of instinct,
he raised and fired one shot out of his IC choked bbl. That rooster absolutely folded stone cold dead in a big 'ole fluff of feathers.
I have bird hunted over 60 years now and have never seen anything like that before or since.

When we cleaned that bird we took note that not one single feather was pulled into the meat by the shot, and, not one penetration
hole could we find in that bird anywhere.

Sectional Density impact kills. Dove and pigeon shooters have know that for years, and little to no damage to the meat at all; in most cases,
they die by shock. With a dove, if you're not there to retrieve it quickly, often they have been known to "recover" and fly off.

They used to write about Sectional Density Impact quite a bit a number of years ago; I haven't seen much about it recently.

In the grouse woods for example I would consider it a poor choice as it likely wouldn't make it through the trees, branches, leaves or brush but
it might be said that the Sectional Density Impact of #9 shot keeps it from being relegated to the "useless" column.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Bumbellybeak
Sectional Density impact kills. Dove and pigeon shooters have know that for years, and little to no damage to the meat at all; in most cases,
they die by shock. With a dove, if you're not there to retrieve it quickly, often they have been known to "recover" and fly off.

They used to write about Sectional Density Impact quite a bit a number of years ago; I haven't seen much about it recently.

With a lifetime of hunting in my rearview mirror, and about to start my 62nd season of shooting doves, I must respectfully disagree. The reason you don't hear much anymore about SDI alone killing is because it is bunk. The principle of blunt force trauma doesn't apply to shot pellets. Organ damage and blood loss kills. They used to talk about bullet shock killing, too. Don't hear much about that anymore either.

I have never picked up a dead dove in my life that did not have pellet holes in it, or have a broken wing bone from a pellet. And that number would now be somewhere north of 11,000 doves. When a dove flies off it isn't because it is recovering from some SDI. It is because it was hit with pellets in non-vital areas, IMHO. One parting question ........... if you knock down a dove and he recovers enough to fly off as you approach, and escapes, how do you know it had no holes in it from pellets? You never got to examine it.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

That sectional density bunk is demonstrated when you get hit across the back with a load of small shot, none of which penetrates. It takes your breath away, but you get up and walk back to your shooting stand and continue on with your day.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fox I got you an invite Stanley's dove hunt you taking #9s on the hunt ?

Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.