March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Argo44, DaveB, graybeardtmm3, Kip, bsteele, Jeremy Pearce), 803 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have also seen old guns( usually hardware store branded Belgian) with the hooks center punched around the outside and around the doll's head. This is worse than doing nothing.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Joe Wood
I’ve wondered if a low temperature solder paste would work to hold a thin shim in place. If so, the shim would be good for the rest of my lifetime or longer. I’ve had little luck with various types of super glue. The problem I’ve found with hiring a “professional” welding and refitting is invariably the surface contact is only about 10% to 30% on the hook. To check I take a Marks A Lot and blacken the repaired hook and reassemble and flex the action a number of times and then check the contact. Pathetic.

[Linked Image from i91.servimg.com]

Salut

Suivant la qualité de l'arme, je soude une cale sur la demi-lune du crochet ou bien je remplace l'axe de charnière par un plus gros.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Joe Wood
The problem I’ve found with hiring a “professional” welding and refitting is invariably the surface contact is only about 10% to 30% on the hook. .................... Pathetic.

Amen, Joe, that has been my experience as well. And also, the lack of contact between the barrel faces and the breech. Several years ago I sent a new set of A H Fox barrels to a highly renowned doublegun 'smith out west to fit to an A grade Fox frame. These barrels were brand new, with never a stone or file having ever been put to the hook. Completely finished in Philly, except for beads and bluing, but never fitted to a gun. He bragged he did the job in under three hours. When I received it I could see why it only took him that long. There was only 30% contact of the left barrel at the breech, and I could read a newspaper through the crack on the right barrel breech. Zero contact on that barrel. I was flabbergasted, but a lesson learned. Everybody that is bragged on as a doublegun 'smith can't fit barrels. In fact, I've come to the conclusion that the ones who can do it absolutely right are as scarce as hen's teeth. The one set I did myself certainly weren't right, but they had way more breech contact than his.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Two questions:

Damascus suggested that using a soldering iron is preferred for tinning a shim because the best can be more easily controlled. How does one control the heat when welding to the hook with TIG or MIG processes?

Secondly, Mike said this about peening the hook:
Originally Posted by Der Ami
This is worse than doing nothing.
Other than the general opinion that this is the way a hack would do it, are there functional disadvantages to upsetting the steel to tighten things?

Jim
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

There seems to be a general consensus that the first area to address is the hook/hinge pin to pull the barrels rearward towards the breach face. How would one know if the proper amount had been added? If too much was added it would seem an unnecessary amount would need to be removed from the barrels to get the gun to close. I understand barrel material might need to be removed but how would you determine that amount before addressing the the barrels?

Thanks for you input.

Sidelock
Sidelock

82nd
Trooper.
I also watched another friend, Gerrold Pheffer, fit up new barrels ( a couple were mine), but to O/Us. He always fit the barrels to the frame first, before cutting the hook and fitting the hinge pin. This way he got good contact with the breach face, without having to worry about the hook. He then fit the locking lug( using a dummy locking wedge) and only after that marked and cut the hook and scraped it to fit the pin last ( except for filing to match the frame).
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Trust me Joe- 40 years in the welding trade, and specializing in TIG on both ferrous and non-ferrous metals- welding to build up the surface of any cylindrical metal shape is a very tricky bit of business. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

This punch both sides of the barrel hook for an off the face repair was considered a correct method here up to the late 1940 s, not the best but far from the worst.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for that pic, damascus. I've never seen a punch made like that. Appreciate it, that's learning for me.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I often hear of scraping metal to achieve the final fit. What do these scrapers look like?

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.