March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Hammergun, Dave K, buckstix, Der Ami, 2 invisible), 398 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,008
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Mark II Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

In the past I have used Brownell's wood charcoal with their bone for case hardening/coloring. I have enough bone, but as usual with Brownell's with Pete running things useful things are out of stock. Has anyone used another product that works equally well and is available? Thanks for your time, Mark

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Mark II,
You may find wood charcoal ( not pressed) in chunks at your local feed and seed store.
Mike

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Mark II,
You may find wood charcoal ( not pressed briquettes) in chunks at your local feed and seed store.
Mike

Last edited by Der Ami; 08/01/21 11:21 AM.
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

You can soak charcoal briquettes and crush them and dry them some people don't use bone charcoal at all but your mileage may vary good luck

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have no idea, but as I read this, I think about the lump charcoal that one can purchase for grills such as the green egg. Not sure if a specific species of wood charcoal is preferred, but I know some of the lump charcoal is oak, some mixed hardwoods and some is probably hickory and perhaps some mesquite.

Cameron Hughes
Mark II Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The species isn't critical. Having the size of the chunks small enough to ensure it packs tightly to minimize air pockets. I've done 5 or 6 actions and know what mix I want, just need the right wood charcoal to not be starting from scratch.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The chunks found in the lump charcoal sound as though they'd be too large to work properly. However, most of the bags I've used, when finishing off a bag, there is a fair amount of fine particles and dust that has settled at the bottom of the bag. There must be a semi efficient way to crush the larger chunks into acceptable sizes, but I guess that would qualify as "starting from scratch."

Cameron Hughes
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Cameron,
Try putting the smaller lumps in a cloth bag and work it over, lightly, with a hammer. The large lumps should "give up" the outside layer but the inside might not be brittle enough. It is worth a try.
Mike

1 member likes this: Cameron
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've used bbq hardwood charcoal, many times for this, but only on a fun hobby level.

If the colors aren't what you are used to, I am going to say more grays and maybe black splotches. Maybe, possibly there is residual unburned wood in the charcoal, especially if it smokes some when lit for grilling. I have done the quick hardware cloth sift of the broken up charcoal, then load it up in a big old cast iron pot and heat it for a little bit in a fire pit, with a cover on. I don't think it should be burned in open air, down to ash, just heated and only if needed.

Only thoughts, hope you can work around the supply problem.

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Charcoal is already cooked that's how you get charcoal .you cook bone in a container over a heat source with a small hole till it stops smoking .i have a book by a South African gunsmith that explains producing the material and how to do a proper case color and it has worked for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.