March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Licensed to kill, bigblock, Der Ami, JDH, Jtplumb, 1 invisible), 361 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/905299018

Expensive with repaired stock. Presumably the buyer could recognize it as a real Wundhammer. I also wondered if Wundhammer heat treated low number Springfields.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by David Zincavage
I also wondered if Wundhammer heat treated low number Springfields.

Probably not, the low-number receiver problem really didn't come to light until after the US entered World War I.

Sidelock
Sidelock

David, I can tell you right now that the seller and buyer both walked away happy The buyer now owns a very nice Wundhammer.
Who in the hell, a ding bat like you are to question it’s authenticity. Pull your head out of the grass!

1 member likes this: Thaine
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I didn't have my Petrov book handy, and I had not taken the time to dig out the Amoskeag catalog of the Petrov sale to compare, so I was merely agnostic on the accuracy of the attribution. I already have too many '06s and a couple of high end custom sporterized (G&H and Minar) Springfields, so I couldn't possibly justify another one. I also had reservations about the repaired stock and the low number-edness of the Springfield. So I was a non bidder. I posted here simply because I was curious if the more knowledgeable experts here recognized that rifle as a real Wundhammer. I've seen several supposed Wundhammers go by on Gun Broker that I did not need assistance to reject out of hand.

Beyond that, let me invite you to mouth off like that to me in person sometime.

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

............I also had reservations about the ....... low number-edness of the Springfield. ...........

As well you should, all of the low numbered 1903 rifles (which by any definition were the results of bad engineering) should have been de-militarized and destroyed by the Army and Springfield when their mistakes were uncovered.
To paraphrase Townsend Whelen, "only accurate (safe) rifles are interesting". IMO

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't think you will ever find a high numbered Wundhammer since he died in 1919. I also think most of them were made on the NRA sales rifles as that was the most common way for the public to get their hands on an '03 back then.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The recently sold rifle was considerably more ornamentally checkered than Phil Shoemaker's Wundhammer (ex-Michael Petrov collection). Compare:

[Linked Image from zincavage.org]

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The pro-argument:

That rifle is over a century old. It has obviously been fired many times, and it's still intact and here.

Decades ago, my father picked up an original unsporterized military form 1903 Springfield. I took it out and plinked with it many times. It was a low number Springfield, but I was not aware of the heat-treating issue at the time. It never blew up.

The anti-argument:

A fellow who posts here paid a lot of money for this Meunier Springfield which blew up on him. I bet you can find the thread.

Sidelock
Sidelock

David, I will have to decline your invite. Fuel prices are way to high for a visit. You cam PM me your address and I will send you box ox tissues to dry your eyes.
Very interesting Muenier 03, please tell us more about it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The pro-argument:

That rifle is over a century old. It has obviously been fired many times, and it's still intact and here.

Decades ago, my father picked up an original unsporterized military form 1903 Springfield. I took it out and plinked with it many times. It was a low number Springfield, but I was not aware of the heat-treating issue at the time. It never blew up.

The anti-argument:

A fellow who posts here paid a lot of money for this Meunier Springfield which blew up on him. I bet you can find the thread.

The Meunier you mention blew up as a result of careless reloading, not as a result of heat treat. The heat treat may have contributed to the number of pieces it ended up in, but with the pressure generated and the resultant escaping gases, very few rifle would have stayed in one piece.

John

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.