March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Karl Graebner, Marc Ret, LeFusil, SKB, RWG, Ken Nelson), 282 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#599522 07/13/21 10:50 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A few days ago I checked the price of lead on the London Metal exchange. The LME is where world prices for lead come from. After considering "tonnes"2203 pounds I figured lead was going for $1.03. After buying shot for a lot of years my experience saws that shot should be selling in the low $30's per bag. How are they getting to$50/bag. The LME shows a growing invintory. It feels like the makers have stopped competeing and are doing a bit of price fixing. AKA rip off

bill

2 members like this: HomelessjOe, builder
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am certain that lead in the US has a raft of environmental hoops to go through before it is retailed, and that would be a cost. Moreover, everything, as in everything, is being pinched by transportation.

After that, it's all supply and demand. If we withdraw our demand for shot, the market will balance and prices will come down.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Like almost everything else, Covid has impacted the production of bird shot. As mentioned, part of the problem is transportation, as well as the manufacturing issues impacting all of the makers of bird shot and lead bullets.

I have become addicted to English hammered shotguns to the detriment of my wallet.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

The price of lead shot up when the Chinese started buying up every bit of it that they could, they’re still buying it all up and driving demand up at the same time. Battery manufacturing, etc. Now factor in the environmentalist pressured the shut downs of all of our lead smelters albeit 1 (I believe it’s in Missouri). Most of our lead now is imported from places like Peru. Etc.
If you factored in shooters into the lead equation (vs manufacturing/industry) I’d bet it’s so minute it wouldn’t even show up as a blip.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Eco insanity. That’s when you force a industry to shutdown in a country which regulates the industry to have minimal pollution only on have production moved into a country which has little or no regulation on it. So a process which might have a pollution score of 10 gets moved to a country where it now gets a score of 30, then you must ship it to you for an added score of two or three so 32-33 instead of 10 and as a good eco “expert” you claim victory. Eco insanity.

China is the worlds largest polluter. 16 of the worst 25 cities for carbon output are in China. And they get exempted from all pollution agreements because they claim development status as a nation. Their electric grid is still expanding with coal while Eco experts inCalifornia are shutting down gas generators for electric because they are too dirty. Eco insanity.

Lead is going up. $45.00 is the norm around here. You might save a dollar at a major trap shoot like the Grand or a big state shoot. I used up the last of my under $20/bag shot last year. Two pallets lasted a long time but not forever sad to say.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I bought Argintine shot and a few years ago you could get a container , CIF, to north LA for a buck a bag, I understand that WW is running their tower flat out, Same with Remington now that Federal is running them. I have no insite on how much Federal is rolling but there is no complaint from shell MFGRS that they can't get shot.

Bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

CIF-- "Cash In Fist?"-- the only way my grandfather ever did business. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Cost
Insurance
Freight

Containers are usually secured with a “letter of credit” (LC) that guarantees the producer payment if the contract terms are met at dock.

No cash involved, unless maybe it’s a drug deal or something.

Out there doing it best I can.
tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

US$ 50 for a 25# bag of West Coast© Magnum shot is the present rate here [DFW] from the distributor that supplies most of the gun clubs and numerous shops in the area. Lawrence is running the same. It was US$ 40.50 prior to the Wuhan virus shutdown(s). There was a recent period of several months where there was no shot available at all! Just prior to that, it was US$ 45, for a brief period. Transportation is a large part of the new cost(s). Was a time there was a tower here. Long gone now, a generations worth anyway. Two or more, for some members of our society.

It was $3/bag when I started reloading for myself in the early 60's or 100#s for $11. Ya got a buck off, when buying four bags.

209 sized shot shell primers have been an issue of late as have some wads and most powders and the new prices are.. attention getting, if you can find any. Just what it is.

Loaded target ammo has also been a large problem; still is in many places. All of it is trickling through and the prices have escalated. If you have no components or are nearing the end of whot you have on hand, it pays to check w/anyone you know that has stopped shooting and see if you can buy what they have left. Otherwise, its belly up to the bar and pay the new 'going rate'. Not shooting has never been a good option as long as you are able to do so. Just saying.

1 member likes this: Cold Iron
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Clapper
For many years I imported plumbing components from the UK , Holland , Spain,Tiawan, China,Mexico and Canada if you want to count them. I always had it shipped to my dock CIF. Sure I had a broker and a bond but I did NOT use a letter of credit. If the people you are dealing with understand that a LC only adds cost and delays payment they are glad to work with you. I have been retired for 20 years I am sure things have not changed that much
If you are involved in imports I will be glad to give you some tips.

bill

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.