March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Dale May), 769 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,013
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
LeFusil Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A few of them out there, but more or less talking about RST.

I wonder how they’re going to survive this component/supply shortage? I’m no business major, but it seems having almost zero inventory for the last year and a half would force them to close their doors for good.
I understand how the major ammunition companies can survive this component drought, but I just can’t see how a small company like RST pulls out of this. Same goes for the component supply stores & warehouses. BPI, Precision, Grafs, etc. Hardly any of them have much of a stock. How do they keep their doors open with virtually nothing to sell?

Thoughts?

Sidelock
Sidelock

PPP for free.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

You sell what you have. I deal with a couple "boutique" shell makers. They ordered inputs for this year, last year. Most have gotten things on time so far but do not think they will get any extras to have a second run. They even have a couple new items for this year. If they have anything you have an interest in you had better order it when they have it because it will be gone too soon.

LeFusil Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I guess I don’t see them making enough profit just selling what they have to keep the lights on & doors open when they hardly have any inventory or component supplies to speak of.
I still haven’t seen any signs of the component crisis easing up. Have you?

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by LeFusil
I guess I don’t see them making enough profit just selling what they have to keep the lights on & doors open when they hardly have any inventory or component supplies to speak of.

I have, especially with powder. It is a much better situation than it was a couple of months ago, but still not nearly the selection of a year ago.

Similar situation for metallic cartridges, selection is poor but improving.

I think you are correct in that some small manufacturers will not make it through the supply chain disruption.

I have been stocking up on hard to find components, dies etc because I think it will be a while before things stabilize, with some items not to be offered again.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
LeFusil Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by SKB
Originally Posted by LeFusil

I have, especially with powder. It is a much better situation than it was a couple of months ago, but still not nearly the selection of a year ago.

Similar situation for metallic cartridges, selection is poor but improving.

I think you are correct in that some small manufacturers will not make it through the supply chain disruption.

I have been stocking up on hard to find components, dies etc because I think it will be a while before things stabilize, with some items not to be offered again.

I 100% reload strictly shotgun, Steve. I don’t see much powder being available for that. I occasionally see some Alliant powders being available, but most of the Hodgdon shotgun powders are practically non existent. Maybe I’m not looking in all the nooks & crannies though.
209 primers? Even a couple years ago those were pretty spotty. Almost non-existent today. Occasionally see some Cheddites for sale. Not very often though.
Even wads are starting to get hard to find. Especially 16 gauge stuff.
I agree that I do see much more metallic selections on the store shelves and prices seem to be coming down.
Now…..try finding good hunting loads for shotguns, especially 16 gauge. Not much out there. Steel? Not much out there either. My only hope with that is, and this is purely selfish, but with shotgun shells being sparse, especially waterfowl loads, maybe it’ll keep the damn crowds down to a reasonable number.

What happens when these “PPP” loans run out and the supply chain still isn’t where it needs to be? That’s probably gonna turn out bad for the reloading specialty and boutique shot shell businesses.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I do not reload for shotgun unless forced to. I bought 7 flats of 2&1/2" 12 bore in the last few months to cover my hunting needs for next little bit. If the cost of shipping ever comes back to earth I will import more shells for myself.

I thought you would have heard the 16 bore became obsolete decades ago? wink

Steel? Not me, but I do have a quantity of Bismuth stashed.

Watch the Hodgon sight directly, they release powder to the public every week. Bruno has 3 types of shotgun powder, not sure if they have what you are after or not:

https://www.brunoshooters.com/mm5/m...t=0&Per_Page=12&Sort_By=disp_ord

Piece edge has several Hodgon powders as well:

https://pieceedge.com/product-category/reloading-supplies/smokeless-powder/hodgdon/

Last edited by SKB; 07/11/21 05:55 PM.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Regarding steel, are all Steel loads filled w/ Chinese sourced steel?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

LeFusil Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

7 flats of hunting shells? Like in 1750 shells? I don’t know where you’re hunting, but for most, that’s a lifetime supply, maybe two lifetimes. :-) If a guy shot 100 upland game birds a year (not counting doves), well that 7 flats should last about 17 years. Maybe a Valley quail hunter who gets a 10 bird limit every trip or an Alaskan shooting Ptarmigan off the Dalton Hwy where the limit is 20 or 50 per day. You get the idea, I think you’re set for a good while.

If you’re an occasional waterfowler, bismuth makes sense, if you’re a hardcore waterfowler who puts months on the water & field…plus throw in being a broke & humble civil servant, you gotta shoot Steel. No other economical choice.

Thanks for the links. Much appreciated.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There seem to have been spot component shortages, but commercial ammo sales were up, big, in 2020, and seem to be continuing that trend this year. Supposedly, shotgun sales, that had been slowly falling for years, were also up sharply last year. For all types of consumer firearms, firstime buyers are also way up, and they want ammo. I don't know RST's bottom line, but their sales may be up too, even though availability is regularly listed as out of stock.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.