March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (David Williamson, SKB, HalfaDouble, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 391 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very well put, Ghostrider. May I add to that the look on your retriever's face as he sits beside you, scanning the sky for doves, and how the expression changes as one approaches, in anticipation of a possible retrieve.

rmb and ed notwithstanding, I have found nothing in shotgunning that tops the thrill and satisfaction of executing a planned double on incoming doves, when you kill the first one with the tight barrel so far out there that you can kill the second with the more open barrel and both hit the ground in front of you. Until you've done that it is hard to explain how far out the first one must be when you hit the rear trigger. Neither have I found, for that matter, many things that I enjoy on the table more than well prepared dove.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
I have found nothing in shotgunning that tops the thrill and satisfaction of executing a planned double on incoming doves, when you kill the first one with the tight barrel so far out there that you can kill the second with the more open barrel and both hit the ground in front of you. Until you've done that it is hard to explain how far out the first one must be when you hit the rear trigger. Neither have I found, for that matter, many things that I enjoy on the table more than well prepared dove.

Only thing that can top that thrill Stan is running down the river with my Grand pappy in his race boat shooting doves as they rose from the sand bars....nothing like turning round the bend boat almost touching the shore at 100 mph and shooting two doves with my .410 without letting off the throttle. (sometimes we were going so fast we ground swatted them before they could get off the ground).

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Neither have I found, for that matter, many things that I enjoy on the table more than well prepared dove.

After a few cold beers there's nothing thing like doves wrapped in bacon on a grill....eat the bacon throw the dove away.

Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Didn't really mean to bash agriculture. It is the main reason our species dominates Earth. Just that tillage to raise (mostly) annual crops has caused far more environmental damage then grazing or subsistence hunting or fishing. The land area affected certainly is many times greater than that used for habitations, roads, or other such developments. Besides, much of that development is on soils or terrain unsuitable for agriculture. Kind of interesting that when my eight ancestors came here, five listed their occupations as farmers and three as hunters.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Staying a little on topic with this... The only family members I had that hunted where my grandfather from my mom's side. On my dad's side it was his grandfather and all his family from his moms side but he never hunted a thing. All were dead and gone by the time I was old enough to handle a gun, so no family hunting experience for me to get me into it when I was younger. I got lucky in my late 20's and a fellow I used to work with offered to take me bird hunting over his dogs after we became friends and fished for a season. Man that was fun, so I took it up and started collecting doubles and figuring out how to upland hunt. FWIW, my politics were already well established at the time, so it is possible to overcome all this divisive BS with a man's instinct to be outdoors and just be a man. That friend now lives a days drive away, and still sees the world very differently from me, but we still shoot the sh!t often and drop everything to get together and hunt and fish when we can. Can happen to anybody Lloyd. Nice job on adding the boat to the rental. That must made additional fun for you guys.

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hal, seven billion people can’t live by hunting or subsistence methods. Where people are forced to do it today, like Africa or India, the environment and wildlife suffer. Unless you can find a humane way to reduce the population by 80-90% intensive agriculture is the only answer.

2 members like this: Stanton Hillis, Geo. Newbern
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by HomelessjOe
Only thing that can top that thrill Stan is running down the river with my Grand pappy in his race boat...

You sure you've got what it takes, hOmey?

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Takes more than just the urge to hunt.........

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by KY Jon
Hal, seven billion people can’t live by hunting or subsistence methods. Where people are forced to do it today, like Africa or India, the environment and wildlife suffer. Unless you can find a humane way to reduce the population by 80-90% intensive agriculture is the only answer.

Soylent Green or Mogadishu gutter rat…

Soylent Green is a 1973 American ecological dystopian thriller film directed by Richard Fleischer, and starring Charlton Heston, Leigh Taylor-Young and Edward G. Robinson in his final film role. Loosely based on the 1966 science fiction novel Make Room! Make Room! by Harry Harrison, the film combines both police procedural and science fiction genres: the investigation into the murder of a wealthy businessman; and a dystopian future of dying oceans and year-round humidity due to the greenhouse effect, resulting in suffering from pollution, poverty, overpopulation, euthanasia, and depleted resources.[2]

Plot

By the year 2022, the cumulative effects of overpopulation, pollution, and some apparent climate catastrophe have caused severe worldwide shortages of food, water and housing. There are 40 million people in New York City alone, where only the city's elite can afford spacious apartments, clean water, and natural food, and even then at horrendously high prices. The homes of the elite usually include concubines who are referred to as "furniture" and serve the tenants as slaves.

…pick your poison….and pass the hot sauce.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by lonesome roads
Originally Posted by KY Jon

Soylent Green or Mogadishu gutter rat…

Soylent Green is a 1973 American ecological dystopian thriller film directed by Richard Fleischer, and starring Charlton Heston, Leigh Taylor-Young and Edward G. Robinson in his final film role. Loosely based on the 1966 science fiction novel Make Room! Make Room! by Harry Harrison, the film combines both police procedural and science fiction genres: the investigation into the murder of a wealthy businessman; and a dystopian future of dying oceans and year-round humidity due to the greenhouse effect, resulting in suffering from pollution, poverty, overpopulation, euthanasia, and depleted resources.[2]

Plot

By the year 2022, the cumulative effects of overpopulation, pollution, and some apparent climate catastrophe have caused severe worldwide shortages of food, water and housing. There are 40 million people in New York City alone, where only the city's elite can afford spacious apartments, clean water, and natural food, and even then at horrendously high prices. The homes of the elite usually include concubines who are referred to as "furniture" and serve the tenants as slaves.

…pick your poison….and pass the hot sauce.

[quote=KY Jon]Hal, seven billion people can’t live by hunting or subsistence methods. Where people are forced to do it today, like Africa or India, the environment and wildlife suffer. Unless you can find a humane way to reduce the population by 80-90% intensive agriculture is the only answer.

Aw, jeez, must not be an actual golf or hockey thread that needs soiling. Somebody start one, quick.

Best,
Ted

Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Of course intensive agriculture is the 'only answer' to feed humans and has been for many centuries. But it has been the main cause of our most serious environmental problems, among them lower air quality, drought, soil erosion and loss of natural productivity. That is why we are forced to fertilize with nitrogen from natural gas and obtain potassium and phosphorus by mining. It is the reason we need to develop and restore perennial food crops for ourselves and our domestic livestock. We are working on the problem, for example development of perennial grains like wheat (Triticale) and production of fruits and vegetables indoors. I read of a system that would employ nut trees with an understory of vine crops. All is not lost, as a recent study predicts a population peak of 8.7 billion people in the not too distant future followed by a slow decline. So hopefully subsistence and sport hunting will not totally disappear as a human activity, especially among the few, the proud, the doublegun shooters!

1 member likes this: LGF
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wheat and triticale are not the same thing, and triticale is nothing new. It's been around since the 1800s. All it is is a cross between wheat and rye, and it requires very similar amounts of fertilizer. And, you're wrong about us "being forced" to fertilize because of loss of natural productivity and erosion. While it is true that "new ground" yields much better the first year than older production soils, we fertilize to produce yields that are very high, higher than any new ground could ever produce without fertilizer. We've got to feed the world, ya' know.

You're making the same arguments that the tree huggers and pro-organic people have for decades. Problem is, they won't stand up under the harsh light of reality.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.