March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Bob Jurewicz, lagopus, Jtplumb, SKB, craigd), 871 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,017
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#599060 07/03/21 03:14 PM
PALUNC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

With the thought of turning 68 this coming fall I am thinking of acquiring myself a 20 bore over / under to shoot doves and clays with. Now I have been looking lately at the Beretta EELL's. I really want a sideplate gun if I can find one. Another one that would maybe fit the bill would be the Rizzini Regal EL.
Any opinions on these guns or other suggestions? Of course finding a quality used one would be a better solution considering what the costs are running these days?

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

Zoli Pernice.

It’s a lot sexier than any Beretta maybe except the ASEL @ SO’s.
Built like a tank. Styled like a Ferrari. Game game looks with race gun design.

In the “regular” grades it’s pretty affordable too. The upper grades are getting kind of ridiculous. There’s parts and service available. Highly regarded, high quality guns.

Last edited by LeFusil; 07/03/21 03:22 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Watch the stock dimensions closely before you buy one without shooting it, Mike. I've shot a lot of Guerinis, Zolis, Rizzinis and Berettas. I have found that, with the exception of Beretta, most of the Italian guns don't have quite enough drop for me. I either have to bury my cheek hard into the comb, which I refuse to do, or the gun shoots high. My Beretta 20 ga. SP II Sporting is the finest 20 ga. dove gun I've ever used, and the drop is perfect for me. It may just be an issue for me and not most others, but just thought I'd mention it. I also understand that you want a sideplated gun, and the SP certainly isn't.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

I shot a Joel Etchen custom combo for ~15 years and put at least 100K rounds through it without any issues. And was still tight as a drum when I sold it. 687 SP II action\frame with Gold E bbls and EELL wood. it is basically the same action as you are looking at.

Also have 2 B. Rizzini guns and my son has put more than 100K through one he was the Mn. ATA class State RU with it at the age of 15. Never had a hiccup with it either.

Both are good guns IME. Battista Rizzini has struggled with supply and relationships in the US however. When they first came into the US they went with Sigarms and the TR and TT series, which I consider great sleeper guns at a great price point, and then LL Bean with the New Englander series. They are both sideplate guns and if you don't mind CC and gold inlays can find some real bargains. Rich Cole also provided B. Rizzini guns and was the service center for them in the US but he threw in the towel after a few years. Coles is now carrying them again in large part because they are having a hard time getting Beretta's in stock. Ironically Lion Country Supply recently stopped ordering B. Rizzini guns and has thrown in the towel with them, a friend has had a BR110 16 ga. on order from LCS for over a year now. But they are still a good gun iME.

Don't think you can go wrong with either one. if I was in the market today personally I'd lean toward Battista's nephews who created Caesar Guerini. Hunting and shooting partner has both a 12 and 20 CG for clays but uses his Beretta's for hunting (long carries). The CG guns are slightly heavier which is better for clays and stand hunting IMO. I shoot the CG's as well as any Perazzi I've shot and to me at least they have slightly better "feel" than Beretta or B. Rizzini.

I believe this is a situation that is often referred to as first world problems, Good luck!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Beretta 687EELL, sideplates, fancy wood, many weight and barrel choices. The Guerini catalog is full of choices also. Tony built a wonderful 20 gauge Inverness for my wife, but no sideplates. Joel Etchen has several 687EELL 20s pictured on his site, but the prices are a secret. They just may be a bit high, but the guns are beautiful and very light.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My two cents: forget the sideplates.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Deleted

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.