March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gunning Bird, Argo44), 363 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,005
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

I know a couple of people who continued to use their Remington 870's and Browning Superposed after steel shot became the norm for waterfowl. Worth Mathewson also writes about using steel, lots of steel, in a Browning O/U and in an LC Smith SxS with F and F chokes. None of these people report barrel damage. One 870 has been patterned with every size from #4 to T, and patterns best with T and #3 steel! I did not see the patterns, but I bet they were, well, not the best Full choke pattern I've seen...They kill birds, that I have witnessed. I've read on this site that a person experimenting with chokes found much improved patterns and percentages at about .018" for a 84% pattern! IMO, there is no reason to keep a full choke in a barrel used for steel shot.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's good to know. What does steel do in a pure cylinder?

Caution: Hunting and fishing stories told here. Protective footgear may be required.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Run With The Fox
Hey Stan. I've been using steel shot in my 3 12 gauge M12's for 30 plus years- no damage to the muzzle area of each of these fine repeaters, none whatsoever. All are full choke, which prefer, as I enjoy "pillow-casing" decoying mallards and geese at 25 yards and closing, and a full choke will do that, assuming the proper lead and follow-through on the part of the gunner. RWTF

This post and your previous posts speak volumes and the insight provided comes as no surprise. How many nouns in the alphabet RWTF ? I notice that your Mother who you describe as “a (sic)English teacher” failed to highlight the difference between nouns and vowels and I would say is probably not the great stickler for proper grammar and spelling that you profess, or perhaps you just weren’t the brightest of pupils.
With that attention to detail I don’t think you are Lovat Scout material.

Last edited by Konor3inch; 06/27/21 06:12 PM.
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lighten up Francis

Sidelock
Sidelock

OK, Konor--the vowels I learned in grammar school (Saint Adolphus) are: a, e, i, o, u.. Find me a noun (person, place or thing, if memory serves, that does NOT contain at least one vowel, if you can. No, not quite Lord Lovat caliber, and I don't drink Scotch whisky, not eat haggis or play the bagpipes either- My ancestry on one side is Belfast based green Irish, by the by. What does that have to do with your life on the other side of the pond, I might wonder. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

MYRRH. Noun. A bitter , aromatic, transparent gum, exuded from the bark of an Arabian shrub. (Very often found with Gold and Frankincense). :-) Sorry; couldn't resist. Lagopus…..

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rhythm and Lynx are two I know of and a quick google gives Pygmy myth and hymn . The common denominator seems to be the letter y

Last edited by Konor3inch; 06/28/21 11:21 AM. Reason: Addition
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Run With The Fox
Hey Stan. I've been using steel shot in my 3 12 gauge M12's for 30 plus years- no damage to the muzzle area of each of these fine repeaters, none whatsoever. All are full choke, which prefer, as I enjoy "pillow-casing" decoying mallards and geese at 25 yards and closing, and a full choke will do that, assuming the proper lead and follow-through on the part of the gunner. RWTF

With not much more effort you could head fringe shoot with a tight pattern, especially the geese and take home game for the table.
Pillow casing birds deliberately and repeatedly on any rough syndicates I’ve been involved in would result in you having to leave the field and your membership of the syndicate cancelled. I can’t think of anywhere in my experience where such behaviour would be tolerated.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've not heard the term pillow-casing before. Would one of you who use the term provide an explanation. Thanks.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Konor3inch
Rhythm and Lynx are two I know of and a quick google gives Pygmy myth and hymn . The common denominator seems to be the letter y

Harsh. Getting an English lesson from a Scotsman.

Originally Posted by Konor3inch
Pillow casing birds deliberately and repeatedly on any rough syndicates I’ve been involved in would result in you having to leave the field and your membership of the syndicate cancelled.

Fox, what you will probably hear is…

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.